Oceanview Guarantee, What a JOKE!

Fun4Brenda

I'm gonna have to agree with the others who side with Carnival on this one.

The guaranteed rate means you get at least X type of cabin. That's all. There's no promise of things like proximity to others in your party.

Frankly, instead of whining about this, you should be praising Carnival's amazing customer service for the fact that in all these cruises you've gotten so lucky in the past.

It really just comes down to what's available after cabins get booked up by those who pay to choose their cabin.

Booked two cabins at the same time, oceanview guarantee, traveling with immediate family. Carnival has assigned us cabins on separate floors, isn't that nice? One is a category 6B & other 6C. Even offered to take the lower categories as long as the rooms are nearby, don't even have to be next door to each other. For $300, they will downgrade us. Have been on over 25 plus cruises, 15 with Carnival, and I am a platinum carnival member. Totally aggravated with Carnival & their greediness.

That's what a guarantee is! Whatever is left!

Robert

What makes you think you are special because you are platinum? Do you know how many platinums there are? You are an experienced cruiser and should have known better. Suck it up and enjoy your cruise or upgrade to get the rooms you want.

My exact thoughts too! Yes, being platinum gives you extra perks, but when booking a GTY you get what you get. Don't let the room assignment ruin your cruise.

Unless things are changed, I have traveled with immediate family before & had never had this issue. The reservations were linked together & we had rooms nearby. The kicker on this deal is one of the family members may need assistance during the cruise and if so we would have to scramble up a deck or so in case of an emergency.

First off, with all names being different, how would they know it was immediate family? Have you had emergencies before? What kind of emergency might you be expecting? Sounds like you should pick your cabins if there is always a pending emergency.

Booked two cabins at the same time, oceanview guarantee, traveling with immediate family. Carnival has assigned us cabins on separate floors, isn't that nice? One is a category 6B & other 6C. Even offered to take the lower categories as long as the rooms are nearby, don't even have to be next door to each other. For $300, they will downgrade us. Have been on over 25 plus cruises, 15 with Carnival, and I am a platinum carnival member. Totally aggravated with Carnival & their greediness.

If you want cabin specific, book cabin specific. Otherwise you get what they give you. The choice is yours, and it's no joke.

She can't call customer service because she booked with a TA... Her TA should try to call and see if anything can be done. In addition, OP if still reading, I would highly suggest not using this TA again as she/he did not do a good job of explaining what guarantee means, just in case you didn't know yourself...

Why blame the TA??? How in the world do you know that her agent didn't explain what a guarantee means?

Don't take the responsibility away from the OP, who by no means is a newbie to Carnival and should know what this option means.

We had booked a cruise with two other couples for the Conquest in Oct. 2014. The price dropped drastically for guarantee OV cabins. Since we were booked ES, we went ahead and switched for the savings. I knew that Carnival does try to keep the parties together, but in no way was that a definite. And that was fine with us.

Turns out, we were all in the same vicinity on deck 2. But, this was in off-season and I don't think there was exactly a high demand. I do think that they will TRY to do their best, but they only can work with what they have.

First of all both cabins were booked with one credit card at the same time, same last name, immediate family with a "request" not a guarantee, for nearby cabins & same dining times. There were cabins available nearby & on the same deck, I counted over 10 nearby same categories. Not only were we assigned different decks, we were also assigned different dining times. 24 hours after booking I was assigned these cabins, 35 days before sailing. Carnival was contacted to see what could be done, if anything, about the dining & cabin concerns. The only reason I mentioned being platinum is because like many other loyalty programs there are some perks. I UNDERSTAND what a guarantee is, and yes, I got two OV guaranteed rooms. My issue with Carnival was with offering to downgrade and being asked to pay $300 for a lower category when cabins were available. The situation has been remedied and I am glad the administrator deleted so many of the hateful remarks. I have nothing else to say. End of story.

First of all both cabins were booked with one credit card at the same time, same last name, immediate family with a "request" not a guarantee, for nearby cabins & same dining times. There were cabins available nearby & on the same deck, I counted over 10 nearby same categories. Not only were we assigned different decks, we were also assigned different dining times. 24 hours after booking I was assigned these cabins, 35 days before sailing. Carnival was contacted to see what could be done, if anything, about the dining & cabin concerns. The only reason I mentioned being platinum is because like many other loyalty programs there are some perks. I UNDERSTAND what a guarantee is, and yes, I got two OV guaranteed rooms. My issue with Carnival was with offering to downgrade and being asked to pay $300 for a lower category when cabins were available. The situation has been remedied and I am glad the administrator deleted so many of the hateful remarks. I have nothing else to say. End of story.

I'd agree that you have a legitimate complaint regarding dining time.

I am not sure about your situation but the reason that you may have to pay for a downgrade is because sometimes when you book a guarantee cabin the rate is lower than what the current rate is for a particular cabin that you may want.

An example was my last cruise on the Breeze. They had a balcony rate of $470 for a guarantee cabin during a 35 hour sale. We were assigned an 8a cabin. My husband asked me to call and see if we could move to a cove balcony which would be considered a downgrade to a 7C. I thought we may be able to move for free since we were asking for a downgrade.

We were told that if we wanted to move to that cabin we had to pay the current rate which was $729. So it would have cost us $259 each for a total of $518. If you want to move from a guarantee you can but it will cost you the current going rate. We decided to stay put.

I was not mad at Carnival I just chalked it up to a lesson learned. It is not their fault. I got what I paid for. Ended up we loved the location of our cabin and had one of the best cabin stewards ever.

I booked an ov guarantee on my cruise last week and was to my great surprise I was assigned an obstructed view Jr.Suite!! I called to verify and sure enough it was mine. :D

And I suspect this is why some people who are Diamond or Platinum get upset. They mistakenly believe that they should get the upgrades over it being the luck of the draw. IMO

Based in the OPs logic, I should have been FURIOUS with Carnival!

My husband and I booked 2 cabins - ours we chose our balcony cabin because we wanted a specific one, but for our 20-something daughter & friend we opted for "guarantee" balcony because they don't care two rats behinds where they are on the ship, as long as they're on the ship, and we "treated" them to a balcony at a greatly discounted rate by letting Carnival choose it for them.

Here comes the infuriating part...they ended up in a balcony suite! That's right they ended up several categories higher than we would have even paid for ourselves!

Oh ho ho the laughs we got over that! :eek::eek: Our kid tells us "choose guarantee" for me anytime!

LOL..thanks for the story tea4ular!!!

op SORRY..consider the savings with option you choose..can not have it both ways...they can not move folks who have paid to select cabin type and local to accommodate those who have not paid to select...Sarah

Unfortunately I side with Carnival on this one.. when you choose guarantee rate, your cabin/floor assignment is not for you to decide.. you have decided to leave it up to Carnival to assign for you. If you wanted to choose your own cabin/floor you shouldn't have chosen guarantee rate. Just saying.

I agree. That's the chance you took when you chose those cabins. On our family cruise Sept 2013, we took a lower category instead of guaranteed to make sure we were together.

I'd agree that you have a legitimate complaint regarding dining time.

OP...understand the second complaint as I came upon it re dining times...glad you are "remedied" and got things "ok" for your cruise...

I wonder if different people assign the guarantees or it goes to unrelated computer program....I think they just go into a "pool" often with no rhyme or reason as they are to "fill in" the "unsolds" as it were.

OP...understand the second complaint as I came upon it re dining times...glad you are "remedied" and got things "ok" for your cruise...

I wonder if different people assign the guarantees or it goes to unrelated computer program....I think they just go into a "pool" often with no rhyme or reason as they are to "fill in" the "unsolds" as it were.

I think it's a "pool", at least that happened to me on NCL. I was solo, bought in when there was no solo supplement. Went with balcony guarantee and wound up with a 4 person family cabin with a huge balcony. It was a very last minute thing and he had my cabin number way too fast so I know he wasn't doing much looking. I wonder if it just happened to be he next cabin in the balcony list.

If you booked a sailing during a prime time, ie Valentines day, or Spring break (seeing as you subsequently posted it was 35 days before the sailing) they have to assign cabins if they are running out. And if it IS a spring break timeframe, the prices will just keep going up. Thus, trying to downgrade (when your rate code you PAID for was "IS", a lower category in the first place) will actually cost more.

If you have immediate family, and they need to be together, don't gamble that you will be close together, especially on a spring break cruise. Please book cabins that you choose, and be mindful of your responsibility to your family - end of story.

I'm sorry, I don't understand why you are upset? You got what you paid for, an ocean view. They assign cabins wherever. Surely after 25+ cruises you know this.

I do not see this as greediness on CCL's part. If you wanted specific cabins you should have paid for that option.

sorry, count it as lesson learned and i hope you still enjoy your cruise.

I agree with Carnival on this, too. You have exactly what they promised, a cabin with at least an Oceanview status...

As for Dining Times, if the reservations were linked, and paid with the same card, I do think they should be together. I have traveled many times, and have had friends, also travel, who booked separately, but linked our reservations -- and we have had, if not the same table, the same section of the dining room.

• 2 weeks later...
Based in the OPs logic, I should have been FURIOUS with Carnival!

My husband and I booked 2 cabins - ours we chose our balcony cabin because we wanted a specific one, but for our 20-something daughter & friend we opted for "guarantee" balcony because they don't care two rats behinds where they are on the ship, as long as they're on the ship, and we "treated" them to a balcony at a greatly discounted rate by letting Carnival choose it for them.

Here comes the infuriating part...they ended up in a balcony suite! That's right they ended up several categories higher than we would have even paid for ourselves!

Oh ho ho the laughs we got over that! :eek::eek: Our kid tells us "choose guarantee" for me anytime!

Not to rub it in, but I too had to laugh.

You got exactly what you paid for, two ocean view cabins. If you are particular about the location (having two near each other is being particular regarding the location), then you have to pay the extra and choose your cabins. If you have as many cruises as you claim, then you should know this. I've never traveled in a guarantee and I know two cabins can be ANYWHERE on the ship.