MS Kong Harald - cruise cut short due to storm damage to ship

KE55

Hi,

We recently got back from our first ever cruise, taking the MS Kong Harald from Tromso - Kirkenes - Tromso. Unfortunately the cruise was cut short before we even reached Kirkenes when the ship was hit by a force 10-11 storm and a freak wave damaged the bridge. (Here's a Norwegian newspaper report about the incident https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nrk.no%2Fnordnytt%2Fkjempebolge-slo-ut-_ms-kong-harald_-1.12185602&edit-text= )

The ship limped back to Honningsvåg where we were instructed to pack and disembark to be coached all the way back to Tromso (a gruelling 11 hour journey!) where we spent the rest of our holiday in a fairly basic hotel.

So, does anyone know what our rights are (if any)? We had less than half the cruise, and lost various perks (e.g. "non-refundable" on-board credit and drinks packages), but I guess Hurtigruten could argue that it was an Act of God, not their fault, we should be happy it wasn't more serious, and they met their responsibilities by providing transportation and hotel. Should we complain or would that be futile?

I'm really sorry about your bad experience.

You should get in touch with your local Hurtigruten representative (if any, or through the hurtigruten.com website), they are usually very good in handling these kind of issues.

I was once dropped of at Sortland instead of Svolvaer because an upcoming storm would prevent the ship from stopping in Svolvaer. I had to take the bus to reach Svolvaer. I wrote to Hurtigruten with the bus ticket receipt and they refunded it to me along with the equivalent of a day on board (while in reality I lost only a few hours). So I guess it is worth trying. State what happened, your losses (all the credit and packages) and your unhappiness about the whole thing and ask for a commercial gesture, I would be very surprised if they didn't answer. Please let us know how it goes?

Didn't they offer you anything else than accomodation in Tromso for your whole stay? I seem to understand (trough the shaky Google translation) that some passengers were offered to continue their trip onboard Midnatsol?

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately once we left the ship there were no Hurtigruten representatives with us in Tromso - we were just dropped off at the hotel and left to ourselves. (There were reps around from a local company called Farout, but all they do is handle excursions and airport transfers on behalf of Hurtigruten.)

I see the Hurtigruten terms and conditions say "we regret we cannot accept liability or pay any compensation where the performance of our contractual obligations is prevented or affected by ... adverse weather conditions" so I guess we don't have any grounds for complaint. However I'll try writing to them and see what happens.

Edited by KE55

Also it is normal for the Hurtigruten ships to sail in such conditions? A crew member stated it was a Force 10 gale (and it certainly felt like it!), which seems very risky. The ship was hopping from port to port so could easily have delayed departure to let the storm pass.

Unfortunately once we left the ship there were no Hurtigruten representatives with us in Tromso

It's a pity that no-one told you that Hurtigruten's headquarters are next to the dock in Tromso (Kirkegata 1, 9008 Tromsø).

It's also a little confusing that they didn't put you on the next ship through. Something they're not unused to doing when passengers miss their sailing.

Edited by digitl

It's a pity that no-one told you that Hurtigruten's headquarters are next to the dock in Tromso (Kirkegata 1, 9008 Tromsø).

That's annoying, it would've been nice if someone from Hurtigruten could have taken an interest in all those disappointed passengers (I believe there were about 100 of us) just around the corner!

It's also a little confusing that they didn't put you on the next ship through. Something they're not unused to doing when passengers miss their sailing.

We weren't given any choices, but I assume it was the only way to ensure we didn't miss our charter flight back to the UK a couple of days' later.

Edited by KE55

According to the Hurtigruten Norwegian webpage, most of the ships were affected by the storm. Ports were skipped and the ships remained in port during the main part of the storm. It appears that only the Kong Harold was damaged and returned to Bergen.

• 2 weeks later...

To their credit, and without us contacting them, we've just received a letter from Hurtigruten apologising for the incident and offering a good compensation payment plus 25% off our next cruise.

So I'm happy. :)

Thank you for letting us know, happy for you! I'm glad to see that Hurtigruten's customer service is still good and professional.

Are you going to use your 25% discount on a future cruise? ;)

Edited by SarniaLo

To their credit, and without us contacting them, we've just received a letter from Hurtigruten apologising for the incident and offering a good compensation payment plus 25% off our next cruise.

So I'm happy. :)

That's good to know.

Thinking of Antarctica on Fram? That 25% discount will be worth serious money...!