Has anyone flown on WestJet Airlines?

DannyDisneyFreak

Nope. I refused. They got me out an hour later. Had I accepted the first offer I would not have made it home that night....flights from YYZ were cancelled!

I suspect that it was a new employee. She seemed quite nonplussed when I said that I would rather stay where I was than go in the opposite direction with no gty of a subsequent flight home!

Nope. I refused. They got me out an hour later. Had I accepted the first offer I would not have made it home that night....flights from YYZ were cancelled!

I suspect that it was a new employee. She seemed quite nonplussed when I said that I would rather stay where I was than go in the opposite direction with no gty of a subsequent flight home!

WestJet is a good airline. Don't get me wrong. But in reality they are no better or worse that many of the other carriers, including Air Canada (on which I have a great deal of experience).

In my experience Westjet generally offer better service than Air Canada. All employees are shareholders so it benefits them in the long run to provide good service. As for the comments about the crew being unprofessional , I believe than they often tell jokes etc to try to relax nervous flyers. Call it what you will, it is more refreshing than many of the sour/poker-faced professionals on Air Canada for many people. Personally I don't like the perceived unprofessionalism and jokes either but it serves it's purpose.

Flew West jet to Montreal a couple of weeks ago

It was fine ..no better or worse than AC

only thing to drink was coffee, tea or water plus alcoholic drinks (fee)

YMMV

Flew West jet to Montreal a couple of weeks ago

It was fine ..no better or worse than AC

only thing to drink was coffee, tea or water plus alcoholic drinks (fee)

YMMV

The short (around 1 hour) flights only have coffee, tea or water. On the longer flights they also have soft drink and juice. They also have he buy-on-board on the longer flights. The very short flights (Vancouver - Victoria) at 10 min they have no service at all.

I believe on the routes that compete with Air Canada Rapid Air (Toronto to Montreal and Ottawa) they have the free beer and wine.

Some people are strong fans of WestJet and some are fans of Air Canada. I am ok with either. WestJet people a bit friendly, Air Canada has a stronger network and more flexibility to reroute when things don't go as planned.

I believe on the routes that compete with Air Canada Rapid Air (Toronto to Montreal and Ottawa) they have the free beer and wine.

Are you saying AC has free beer & wine on that route? because West Jet did not

We flew YYZ to YUL

We flew from Sydney to Halifax on AC they had sodas ..short flight

I am not saying either airline is better than the other on the short flights

We will be doing WS from FLL in the fall 3+ hr flight so will know then which one I would choose for future flights

Edited by LHT28

Are you saying AC has free beer & wine on that route? because West Jet did not

We flew YYZ to YUL

We flew from Sydney to Halifax on AC they had sodas ..short flight

I am not saying either airline is better than the other on the short flights

We will be doing WS from FLL in the fall 3+ hr flight so will know then which one I would choose for future flights

For High Frequency business routes such as flights between Toronto and Ottawa; Toronto and Montreal and Toronto and LaGuardia (New York) they operate under different rules. This is mostly because the routes are full of frequent travelers, flights run on the hour usually and there are a lot of people taking earlier or late flights. Air Canada calls this Rapidair and WestJet calls it the Eastern Triangle. In the US there are also a few business and frequency intensive routes like these are they usually us the shuttle name on them.

For WestJet this is what they do that is special (it clearly includes free beer and wine): http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/business-travel/eastern-triangle.shtml

For Air Canada the details on RapidAir are: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/rapidair.html

I don't know what the magic flight time is for when Air Canada and WestJet switches from just water and coffee to the full bar service. My experience has been if it is under an hour they usually try to limit the number of drink options to speed the process up. Over and hour and a bit they do the full bar.

I don't have a strong preference between WestJet or Air Canada.

Edited by em-sk

Flown on WestJet many, many times. In fact, we booked an August WestJet flight on the weekend.

Never had a free anything on WestJet. Well.....until recently they did not charge for checked bags so perhaps that could be called a freebee.

I flew WestJet Encore ( their regional airline with Q400's ) yesterday, YYZ - YFC. All good. I took a max size carry-on but was not challenged to size it and prove it. That might have been because the flight was only half full. I have flown with this luggage before as carry-on and knew it would easily fit in the bins as long as it wasn't "fat". There was a lady with a smaller bag but it was stuffed and fat. It would not fit in the OH bin. She had to put it under her seat. The usual in-flight free soft drinks service with small snacks. The aircraft was shiny new. The seats and seat pitch were acceptable ( I am 6' and over 200 lb !! ). Security at YYZ was quick and uneventful. All good.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone found direct flights from Toronto to San Juan?

I booked a cruise for Nov 2016 - Southern Caribbean, so flights aren't available to book yet, but looking at current ones - it seems that direct flights are rare or non existent, (sorry - but I just can't imagine a 12 or 18 hour day of flying and layovers, ugh :( )

Plus, all the cruises I see are Saturday - Saturday and I don't see flights on a Thursday or Friday (which ideally I would like to go down 2 days in advance). There is no way I would try and fly in the same day.

Anyone have any experience?

thx

Has anyone found direct flights from Toronto to San Juan?

I booked a cruise for Nov 2016 - Southern Caribbean, so flights aren't available to book yet, but looking at current ones - it seems that direct flights are rare or non existent, (sorry - but I just can't imagine a 12 or 18 hour day of flying and layovers, ugh :( )

Plus, all the cruises I see are Saturday - Saturday and I don't see flights on a Thursday or Friday (which ideally I would like to go down 2 days in advance). There is no way I would try and fly in the same day.

Anyone have any experience?

thx

Can you make it to Buffalo and fly from there? There might not be direct flights but maybe you can get the day you want.

Can you make it to Buffalo and fly from there? There might not be direct flights but maybe you can get the day you want.

I'm right across from Detroit - I looked there too but nothing direct and stops are long, making for a 12-18 hour travel day - my mom can't go that long.

Edited by bubbadogmom

I'm right across from Detroit - I looked there too but nothing direct and stops are long, making for a 12-18 hour travel day - my mom can't go that long.

I do not think there are any non stops

I checked late Oct schedules

You could look at Delta & AA but they connect in MIA or ATL from YYZ

7-8 hr flight time with layover

Same out of DTW a few more weeks & the Nov schedules should be out

Edited by LHT28