CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Newark has two train stations - Newark Liberty International Station and Newark Penn Station. The airport station is accessible only from the Airtrain from the airport terminals and rental cars. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/AirTrain-Map.pdf

There are two train services that run through these stations - Amtrak and NJ Transit. Amtrak is long distance service and NJ Transit is local service. The local service is $12.50/pp to NYC from the airport. Amtrak is in the $50 range.

Where is your hotel in NYC? That is important to know. The train will leave you at New York Penn Station around 32nd and 8th. The airport bus ($16-17) will drop you at Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd & 8th), Bryant Park (5th & 42nd) or Grand Central (41st between Park & lexington). So if your hotel is near one of the bus stops, you should consider the airport bus option.

If your hotel is downtown there are other options. Train from the airport to Newark Penn Station is $8.25. Bus 62 from the airport to Newark Penn Station is $2.35. From Newark Penn Station you can take PATH directly to downtown Manhattan or with a transfer to midtown Manhattan (34th & 6th) with stops along 6th Ave.

Bottom line - it depends where you're going and how much time and money you want to spend or don't want to spend.

Thanks Carol, you're better than Google! 😉

We're staying at the doubletree on Lexington and 50th. 569 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10022

Going back to the hotel will be easier because it'll just be me without bags. Cheapest way is great.

However going to Cape liberty with the family and luggage is a bit tougher. I don't want to take a car service, but I'm thinking the least amount of transfers is probably best.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rob

Thanks Carol, you're better than Google! 😉

We're staying at the doubletree on Lexington and 50th. 569 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10022

Going back to the hotel will be easier because it'll just be me without bags. Cheapest way is great.

However going to Cape liberty with the family and luggage is a bit tougher. I don't want to take a car service, but I'm thinking the least amount of transfers is probably best.

Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Rob

What day of the week are you going to Cape Liberty?

Airport bus to Grand Central may be the most direct and easiest option to get back to the city.

To get to the port I would take a cab to JCPenneys at 32nd and 6th. Do not attempt the subway with luggage! This should be about $15. The accessible PATH entrance is just to the left of Penney's. You take PATH to Hoboken - $2.75/pp. At Hoboken you take the elevator up to the street/train station level. The light rail is on the far left. You buy tickets in the machine and validate them. Fare is $2.10, children under 12 are $1.05. Take the light rail to 34th Street in Bayonne and call a local taxi to go into the port. This may cost $4-5/pp. Call the cab companies for a quote.

PATH and the light rail should be uncrowded outbound in the morning. There are great views of NYC from the Hoboken station area. Light rail is surface transportation so fun for the kids. I'd plan to leave by 9:30 am. Total time with transfers and connections should be less than 1 1/2 hours.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

What day of the week are you going to Cape Liberty?

Airport bus to Grand Central may be the most direct and easiest option to get back to the city.

To get to the port I would take a cab to JCPenneys at 32nd and 6th. Do not attempt the subway with luggage! This should be about $15. The accessible PATH entrance is just to the left of Penney's. You take PATH to Hoboken - $2.75/pp. At Hoboken you take the elevator up to the street/train station level. The light rail is on the far left. You buy tickets in the machine and validate them. Fare is $2.10, children under 12 are $1.05. Take the light rail to 34th Street in Bayonne and call a local taxi to go into the port. This may cost $4-5/pp. Call the cab companies for a quote.

PATH and the light rail should be uncrowded outbound in the morning. There are great views of NYC from the Hoboken station area. Light rail is surface transportation so fun for the kids. I'd plan to leave by 9:30 am. Total time with transfers and connections should be less than 1 1/2 hours.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Thank you so much!

We're leaving on Thursday June 4th sailing liberty of the seas.

On a Thurs morning PATH will run trains to Journal Square and to Hoboken. Be sure to take the Hoboken train. I have done this particular trip on a Thurs morning and it was very easy once I got to PATH. There is a nice wide turnstile which is good with luggage. Children 5 and under are free on PATH. Children under 5 are free on the light rail. PATH and the light rail were totally uncrowded.

HI. I had asked this before - not sure if it was on this thread or not, but I lost my notes!!! :eek:

I would like to know the best way to get from the Doubletree in Jersey City to the WTC Memorial - I believe it was to take PATH.

I appreciate any help.

I will print out my notes this time! :o

Thanks!

HI. I had asked this before - not sure if it was on this thread or not, but I lost my notes!!! :eek:

I would like to know the best way to get from the Doubletree in Jersey City to the WTC Memorial - I believe it was to take PATH.

I appreciate any help.

I will print out my notes this time! :o

Thanks!

From the Doubletree you need to get the 8-9 blocks to Exchange Place to take PATH to the World Trade Center. You can walk it or take the light rail from the Harsimus Cove station just south of the hotel for two stops southbound to

Exchange Place.

From the Doubletree you need to get the 8-9 blocks to Exchange Place to take PATH to the World Trade Center. You can walk it or take the light rail from the Harsimus Cove station just south of the hotel for two stops southbound to

Exchange Place.

Thank you!!

Just one more thought about getting from Newark to the hotel at 50th and Lex. If you take the train, you can pop into the 8th ave uptown subway at NY Penn station and take the E train uptown to Lexington & 53rd. That way you don't have to walk the 10 blocks from the airport bus drop off point at Grand Central. This could be a faster route and better in bad weather.

Just one more thought about getting from Newark to the hotel at 50th and Lex. If you take the train, you can pop into the 8th ave uptown subway at NY Penn station and take the E train uptown to Lexington & 53rd. That way you don't have to walk the 10 blocks from the airport bus drop off point at Grand Central. This could be a faster route and better in bad weather.

Great tip! Would have needed a foot massage after that! 😃 thanks.

We are flying into EWR on October 30th for a repositioning cruise leaving Cape Liberty on November 1st. We are only interested in visiting the SOL on the 31st. We are 4 adults in our 60's. We will need two hotel rooms. We can share a cab or car service. My questions are:

1. Which hotel is the most convenient to EWR, the Statue of Liberty, and the cruise port.

2. Do they have shuttle service to one or all?

3. What is the best way to get to the SOL?

4. Who includes breakfast?

Thank you in advance for all your information. I know more about Newark already from your thread than I ever thought necessary or possible. We don't have a preference on a hotel and are budget conscious.

We are flying into EWR on October 30th for a repositioning cruise leaving Cape Liberty on November 1st. We are only interested in visiting the SOL on the 31st. We are 4 adults in our 60's. We will need two hotel rooms. We can share a cab or car service. My questions are:

1. Which hotel is the most convenient to EWR, the Statue of Liberty, and the cruise port.

2. Do they have shuttle service to one or all?

3. What is the best way to get to the SOL?

4. Who includes breakfast?

Thank you in advance for all your information. I know more about Newark already from your thread than I ever thought necessary or possible. We don't have a preference on a hotel and are budget conscious.

Let's take this by step. There is no one hotel that is the most convenient to EWR, the SOL, and the Cruiseport.

All the EWR hotels have free shuttle service to the hotel itself. Only one hotel that we recommend offers a Cruiseport shutte for about $70/ rt for two people. Hotels which offer free breakfast will not have other dining services and may not be close to restaurants.

The first decision is how to get to the Statue of Liberty. You have two choices - get to Newark Penn Station (cab woud be best with 4 people), take PATH the World Trade Center, and walk to Battery Park/south Ferry to get the ferry. second option would be to rent a car at the airport, drive to Liberty State Park in NJ, and take the SOL ferry from there. If you rent a small car, the cost if these two ways is roughly the same for 4 people. It all depends on whether you really just want to go to the SOL or whether you also want to actually spend time in New York City.

Please post back about how you want to go to SOL and we can take it from there. Also, how do you feel about staying in downtown Newark, which would be an option because of the better transportation choices? Do you have a target hotel budget?

Let's take this by step. There is no one hotel that is the most convenient to EWR, the SOL, and the Cruiseport.

All the EWR hotels have free shuttle service to the hotel itself. Only one hotel that we recommend offers a Cruiseport shutte for about $70/ rt for two people. Hotels which offer free breakfast will not have other dining services and may not be close to restaurants.

The first decision is how to get to the Statue of Liberty. You have two choices - get to Newark Penn Station (cab woud be best with 4 people), take PATH the World Trade Center, and walk to Battery Park/south Ferry to get the ferry. second option would be to rent a car at the airport, drive to Liberty State Park in NJ, and take the SOL ferry from there. If you rent a small car, the cost if these two ways is roughly the same for 4 people. It all depends on whether you really just want to go to the SOL or whether you also want to actually spend time in New York City.

Please post back about how you want to go to SOL and we can take it from there. Also, how do you feel about staying in downtown Newark, which would be an option because of the better transportation choices? Do you have a target hotel budget?

This sounds like something we would like as well. How far is Battery Park from WTC?

Do we need to take 2 ferries to get to SOL?

Thanks again!

This sounds like something we would like as well. How far is Battery Park from WTC?

Do we need to take 2 ferries to get to SOL?

Thanks again!

You're staying at the Doubletree. Do you have a car? If not you can go to World Trade Center and walk about 15 minutes to the SOL ferry at Battery Park. For a more interesting walk, go down Trinity Place and cut through the Trinity Church graveyard to Broadway and walk south to see the end of Wall Street and the little Bowling Green Park. Only one ferry to the SOL, but the return trip will go via Ellis Island I believe.

Edited by 138east

You're staying at the Doubletree. Do you have a car? If not you can go to World Trade Center and walk about 15 minutes to the SOL ferry at Battery Park. For a more interesting walk, go down Trinity Place and cut through the Trinity Church graveyard to Broadway and walk south to see the end of Wall Street and the little Bowling Green Park. Only one ferry to the SOL, but the return trip will go via Ellis Island I believe.

Thank you!!! I think we'd like the graveyard!! So looking forward to our trip!

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty in September of 2015. Our plan is to rent a car in our home town and drop off at the port or near the port. Can anyone tell me the name of car rental companies that do this? Also, what car rental companies will pick up at port to rent a car to go home when we return?

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

We are cruising out of Cape Liberty in September of 2015. Our plan is to rent a car in our home town and drop off at the port or near the port. Can anyone tell me the name of car rental companies that do this? Also, what car rental companies will pick up at port to rent a car to go home when we return?

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

Enterprise is the only car rental in Bayonne. They have limited hours, so before you even call them, make sure your cruise times are compatible. http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=2445&bid=004&cnty=US

Newark Airport has a huge rental car operation, but it will cost you $50-60 for a cab or car service to and from the port.

Jersey City also has car rentals in the Newport area. Hertz, Enterprise, and Avis, National, and Alamo are are within several blocks of the light rail which runs to the 34th St. station in Bayonne by the port. This is accessible transportation that costs $2.10/pp plus a $10-12 cab ride in and out of the port.

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

PLEASE make sure you find out what the quoted cost will be for the rental car before you fully decide on this plan.

Car rental agencies sometimes charge HUGE amounts of money for long distance 1 way rentals (possibly hundreds of dollars each way).

We are only interested in the SOL. Wife has a bad knee and will not walk for blocks. Budget is under $150 a night for two people at a hotel. Downtown Newark would be fine. We won't need a round trip shuttle as this is a repositioning cruise.

We are only interested in the SOL. Wife has a bad knee and will not walk for blocks. Budget is under $150 a night for two people at a hotel. Downtown Newark would be fine. We won't need a round trip shuttle as this is a repositioning cruise.

Your budget is tight.

I'm seeing the Robert Treat on Kayak for about $121 for about $140 tax included. This hotel is in downtown Newark and has an airport shuttle. It is a full service hotel. Normally this hotel offers free breakfast, but this rate indicates no free breakfast. The hotel is showing as not available on a direct online booking. The hotel shuttle will take you to Newark Penn Station where you can take Path to the World a Trade Center in downtown NY.

I'm also seeing the Ramada Plaza on aa.com for about $100/night tax included. This may be a prepay. However it does include a continental breakfast. You would have to share a cab to go to Newark Penn Station which would be about $30.

Both hotels are full service. At the Ramada you would be limited to the hotel offerings (restaurant, cafe (this is for the continental breakfast, whatever that is), and Teddy's which is a popular sports bar. The Doubletree is next door so you could walk to their restaurant. At the Robert Treat you could take a short cab ride to the Ironbound District ( Google it) for a selection of Spanish and Portuguese restaurants.

From either hotel you would have to arrange a car service to take you and all your luggage to Cape Liberty.

There are several considerations for your wife's mobility issues. At the airport you will have to collect your luggage and take the elevator up to the Airtrain to ride to the P4 stop which is where all the hotel shuttles pick up. The last time I was in World Trade Center it was a walk to get out of the station. From there you would have to take a cab to Battery Park/South Ferry for the SOL ferry. You have to walk to get to the ferry entrance and there is of course walking at the SOL itself.

Your budget is tight.

I'm seeing the Robert Treat on Kayak for about $121 for about $140 tax included. This hotel is in downtown Newark and has an airport shuttle. It is a full service hotel. Normally this hotel offers free breakfast, but this rate indicates no free breakfast. The hotel is showing as not available on a direct online booking. The hotel shuttle will take you to Newark Penn Station where you can take Path to the World a Trade Center in downtown NY.

I'm also seeing the Ramada Plaza on aa.com for about $100/night tax included. This may be a prepay. However it does include a continental breakfast. You would have to share a cab to go to Newark Penn Station which would be about $30.

Both hotels are full service. At the Ramada you would be limited to the hotel offerings (restaurant, cafe (this is for the continental breakfast, whatever that is), and Teddy's which is a popular sports bar. The Doubletree is next door so you could walk to their restaurant. At the Robert Treat you could take a short cab ride to the Ironbound District ( Google it) for a selection of Spanish and Portuguese restaurants.

From either hotel you would have to arrange a car service to take you and all your luggage to Cape Liberty.

There are several considerations for your wife's mobility issues. At the airport you will have to collect your luggage and take the elevator up to the Airtrain to ride to the P4 stop which is where all the hotel shuttles pick up. The last time I was in World Trade Center it was a walk to get out of the station. From there you would have to take a cab to Battery Park/South Ferry for the SOL ferry. You have to walk to get to the ferry entrance and there is of course walking at the SOL itself.

My wife says that she is not interested in going into New York City. At this point, it looks like the Country Inn & Suites is the best choice. They have a shuttle from the airport and a hot breakfast. I like the fact that a mall is within walking distance in case we need anything and that there are restaurants nearby. I spoke with them directly and the prepay rate at the moment is $119 + tax. They said that we can pay extra for the shuttle to the ship. $17.50 per person one way. We can take a taxi to Liberty State park in order to catch the ferry. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

My wife says that she is not interested in going into New York City. At this point, it looks like the Country Inn & Suites is the best choice. They have a shuttle from the airport and a hot breakfast. I like the fact that a mall is within walking distance in case we need anything and that there are restaurants nearby. I spoke with them directly and the prepay rate at the moment is $119 + tax. They said that we can pay extra for the shuttle to the ship. $17.50 per person one way. We can take a taxi to Liberty State park in order to catch the ferry. Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I spent a weekend in Jersey City in Sep with DH, DD, DS and 6 mo old DGD for a family wedding and we went to Ellis Island and the SOL from Liberty State Park. I thought it was a bit of a walk from the place you buy tickets out to the ferry itself. That's why I didn't suggest that you go from NJ. You would also have to prearrange a taxi to pick you up - you aren't going to find any taxis lurking around Liberty State Park. Taxi to Liberty State Park is going cost at least $50 each way.

Don't get too excited about picking stuff up at the mall. It's an outlet mall with no drugstore or liquor store. Your restaurant choices are IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets and a food court.

I spent a weekend in Jersey City in Sep with DH, DD, DS and 6 mo old DGD for a family wedding and we went to Ellis Island and the SOL from Liberty State Park. I thought it was a bit of a walk from the place you buy tickets out to the ferry itself. That's why I didn't suggest that you go from NJ. You would also have to prearrange a taxi to pick you up - you aren't going to find any taxis lurking around Liberty State Park. Taxi to Liberty State Park is going cost at least $50 each way.

Don't get too excited about picking stuff up at the mall. It's an outlet mall with no drugstore or liquor store. Your restaurant choices are IHOP, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's, Johnny Rockets and a food court.

Hi Carol,

We want to drive to NJ and want to see the SOL and Ellis Island in Sept. or Oct. We aren't cruising this time. What hotel did you stay in to see the SOL/Ellis? Did you park at Liberty State Park and take the ferry? Is it possible to see the 911 memorial from where we would park using the ferry? I've driven to the port using your directions. Thanks, directions were great! We travel with a mobility scooter. We would stay for 2 nights. I really don't want to drive into New York City. We are driving in on Rt. 78 from the west.

What is the best way to do this trip?

Thank you for any help you can give us.

Judy

Hi Carol,

We want to drive to NJ and want to see the SOL and Ellis Island in Sept. or Oct. We aren't cruising this time. What hotel did you stay in to see the SOL/Ellis? Did you park at Liberty State Park and take the ferry? Is it possible to see the 911 memorial from where we would park using the ferry? I've driven to the port using your directions. Thanks, directions were great! We travel with a mobility scooter. We would stay for 2 nights. I really don't want to drive into New York City. We are driving in on Rt. 78 from the west.

What is the best way to do this trip?

Thank you for any help you can give us.

Judy

We were 5 people including an infant and we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City for three nights to go to a big family wedding in NYC. We had to lodge two cars as well. We drove into the city to wedding events. This was way more economical than getting a NYC hotel and paying to lodge the cars.

On Sunday we drove the short distance to Liberty State Park and took the ferry to Ellis Island and the SOL. Parking was $7. I just stayed on the ferry for the ride and went back ahead of the others. From Liberty State Park I took another small ferry across the channel to Warren St and walked to the light rail to go back to the Courtyard.

To do this trip you could stay anywhere in the area and drive to Liberty State Park. However, the Newport area of Jersey City is very nice with restaurants, office buildings, apartments, and the Newport Mall. There is a boardwalk along a lot of the waterfront that would be good with a scooter. The weekend rate at the Courtyard was very good. The Doubletree and Candlewood Suites also have good rates. On Hotwire a 4* hotel in Jersey City will be the Hyatt or Westin.

I have not been to the 911 memorial yet. Based on its location I would guess that it might be cumbersome to access via PATH with a scooter. On a weekend there is service to the WTC from Exchange Place, but not the Newport PATH station. From that station you would have to go to Grove St and transfer. It would take time and patience, but it could be done if you research it carefully.

Thank you, Carol. I'll look for hotels in the Newport area. We need a roll-in shower so can't use hotwire. I'll have to research PATH some more. I don't know how accessible it is. Sometimes elevators are broken and we can't use stairs. So, there is no ferry that we can get on in New Jersey that will take us near the 911 Memorial? I can walk a distance.

Thanks again.