CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Platinum for life here.

9:30 is too early.....10:30-11 is fine....Boarding usually starts around 11:30 or noon...

How about the Courtyard Elizabeth, opposite the Residence Inn ...and those 2 are only the "furthest away" by like 5-10 minutes, depending on traffic

You COULD try the Courtyard Edison at exit 10..also near Woodbridge and places to eat within 10 minutes...free parking...and 45 ish minutes to the pier....

The area around the Renaissance is not really sketchy...compared to other areas around....and YMMV re: lounge open on weekends... IME it is NOT.

You'll pay to park at any of them....but with the 2 hotels that are under EWR/Elizabeth, at least you can eat and not have to deal with the disaster of roads around the airport....

You COULD hop off the turnpike around 10 or 11 and stay at the Renaissance in Woodbridge...on Route 1 and still only be an hour from the pier...actually less. It's a little trafficky around there...but NOT as bad as EWR...and there are plenty of places to eat within a 5 minute-ish drive. Free parking...it's not a bad hotel at all...rooms could use some TLC but they're not horrible....not the most gorgeous hotel...but not horrible either...and it SHOULD save you a couple bucks

Edited by megr1125

Hi for those of you Marriott members out there I did some investigating. First off we are from NY & have only lived in DC for a few years so we know NYC area well but not Jersey as much.

There are 3 Marriotts- Fairfield Inn Courtyard & Springhill suites that are the closets to the port. Downside no places to eat nearby although restaurants do deliver. They all charge for parking.

Renaissance is on Rt1 & 9. I have stayed there before- great hotel but sketchy area. Parking $16. They have a free shuttle service to a nearby bar restaurant. The concierge lounge is opened on weekends for breakfast. a little difficult to find but GPS should be able to get you there.

Residence Inn the priciest, also charges for parking & the furthest away.

I haven't looked for Marriott's but want to be within an hours drive up in the am. Anyone have any other Marriott suggestions?

What time should we plan on getting to the port for Celebrity? Is getting there around 930am too early? What time can you board the ship?

Hi for those of you Marriott members out there I did some investigating. First off we are from NY & have only lived in DC for a few years so we know NYC area well but not Jersey as much.

There are 3 Marriotts- Fairfield Inn Courtyard & Springhill suites that are the closets to the port. Downside no places to eat nearby although restaurants do deliver. They all charge for parking.

Renaissance is on Rt1 & 9. I have stayed there before- great hotel but sketchy area. Parking $16. They have a free shuttle service to a nearby bar restaurant. The concierge lounge is opened on weekends for breakfast. a little difficult to find but GPS should be able to get you there.

Residence Inn the priciest, also charges for parking & the furthest away.

I haven't looked for Marriott's but want to be within an hours drive up in the am. Anyone have any other Marriott suggestions?

What time should we plan on getting to the port for Celebrity? Is getting there around 930am too early? What time can you board the ship?

There are two Courtyards at Newark Airport - one in Newark clustered with Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites and one in Elizabeth clustered with Residence Inn. There is also a third Courtyard in Jersey City which IMO is the nicest - close to the port, next door to PATH for a quick trip into NYC, and in a recently developed upscale urban area with restaurants and services.

IMO distance to the port for all these properties is similar. The properties in Elizabeth on Glimcher Realty Way at Exit 13A are the easiest to find in a car and are next to the Jersey Gardens Mall.

138 East- we are driving up to the area the day before. No sightseeing. I am happy to report -mission accomplished [emoji1]. We booked the Ramada Plaza through Trinity, including transportation. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Now I need to go back and find your directions.

Take the directions for the Ramada from their website. Have written directions with you. When you get off at NJ Turnpike exit 14, stay to the right and take I78 West LOCAL and get off at the Frontage Road exit, which is the second exit. At the end of the ramp you make a left. The Doubletree will be on your right and the Ramada is next door.

Thanks again Carol & Meg. We booked the Country Inn. Went with a lower unpublished rate that is subject to a $25 cancellation fee. I can live with that risk!

Sounds like a good plan. I think the hotel will fulfill all your requirements.

138 East-we are driving up from Virginia-this will be a trial run as we are also leaving on the Summit out of Cape Liberty in October to New England/ Canada. I will get directions from the website and take your notes with us[emoji1].

Hi all,

thanks for the help with the Marriott! staying in Woodbridge sounds like a good plan- there's a fairfield Inn there also. We hate the courtyards as they have no free breakfast. We like the Renaissance hotels though- I'll check.

I routinely go up 295 & then switch to NJT so know exit 11- outerbridge crossing.

I have stayed at the Renaissance near EWR- the hotel was fine but to me I don't consider that a great area- better then some areas in Newark though.

How crowded does the parking entrance get though- huge backup of cars? I would rather wait in the port than sit in line in my car.

Thanks so much for the help!

I'll be driving to NY next weekend so I'll take a look around before going out to LI - where I am from.

Couldn't get the Renaissance in Woodbridge as they were booked up but did get a great price at the Residence Inn. Much cheaper than EWR Marriott's & not that much further. Thanks for the suggestion. Lots of good restaurants in the area also. Thanks for the help. We always try to stay at Marriott if possible - plus with the lifetime platinum we get great upgrades.

Hi from woodbridge is it faster & easier to go up NJT or cut through Staten Island?

It will cost you about $8.50 more in tolls to cut through Staten Island, due to the $14 bridge toll, so unless there's some monster traffic jam on the NJ Turnpike, I wouldn't go via Staten Island.

Sounds like a good plan. I think the hotel will fulfill all your requirements.
Carol - I'm totally comfortable with your recommendation!

We will be coming North on the NJ Turnpike. We have your 'patented' directions to go directly to the port, (which worked great for us last year), but what would we do differently to get to Country Inns? How about getting back on the Turnpike to continue to the port?

You, Meg, and others should really get paid for all the help you give here!

Country Inns is at exit 13A, so you just get off there. The hotel is on the east side of the turnpike. I'm not sure of the exact signage, but you do NOT follow the signs into the airport which is on the west side of the highway.

According to the map, the exit ramps swing west, so you would be looking for signs to Jersey Gardens. If I remember correctly, as Jersey Gardens Blvd approaches the mall, the hotel cluster is on your left. There is a light at Kapkowski Road and you make a left and then the next left to get onto Glimcher Realty Way.

Hi, because my original post was only in the Quantum thread I post now here again:

Hello from Germany,

hopefully someone can help us:

We are sailing on the Quantum 12 - 24. April and after the cruise we have a follow on flight from JFK at 1PM. When I booked the flight I was not aware of travel distances and times.

What is the earliest possible time to leave the ship and does anybody know some transportation options to JFK.

We stayed sometimes in Florida, but we are absolutely new to this area.

thank you for your help, best regards :)

Wolfgang + Mary

Should we follow google maps directions to the port or Carol do you have detailed instructions? If so could you provide them? It seems like a little tricky & I am not familiar with the actual port area. Sometimes google maps does not do well.

The suggestion was to go up NJT rather than cut through SI (they said it was more expensive toll wise. I am not sure why. But have you seen the toll cost on NJT lately?? A few weeks ago I went from the GWB to exit 7- toll was $16!) OUCH- that's why I get off the turnpike & go on Rt295 as far as I can cheaper & only a few minutes longer. Plus I can stop at Costco at exit 40 & get cheap gas)

We can do the Tpke though. I of course will listen to traffic & transit on 880 & 1010 for any traffic delays.

I booked the Residence Inn in Woodbridge. Does 30 minutes to the port on an early Sunday morning sound right to you?

Should we follow google maps directions to the port or Carol do you have detailed instructions? If so could you provide them? It seems like a little tricky & I am not familiar with the actual port area. Sometimes google maps does not do well.

The suggestion was to go up NJT rather than cut through SI (they said it was more expensive toll wise. I am not sure why. But have you seen the toll cost on NJT lately?? A few weeks ago I went from the GWB to exit 7- toll was $16!) OUCH- that's why I get off the turnpike & go on Rt295 as far as I can cheaper & only a few minutes longer. Plus I can stop at Costco at exit 40 & get cheap gas)

We can do the Tpke though. I of course will listen to traffic & transit on 880 & 1010 for any traffic delays.

I booked the Residence Inn in Woodbridge. Does 30 minutes to the port on an early Sunday morning sound right to you?

I'm the person who gave you the toll information. Taking the Outerbridge Crossing from NJ into Staten Island will cost $14 (cash toll). Taking the NJ Turnpike from exit 10 to exit 14A will cost $5.45, or from exit 11 to 14A $4.75...hence taking turnpike is much cheaper. By the way, the turnpike toll for a car from the GWB (exit 18E or 18W) to exit 7 is $9.70, not $16. The maximum toll for the full length of the turnpike from exit 1 to 18 E or 18 W is $13.85

Here are Carol's directions for driving from exit 14A to the cruise terminal:

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Edited by njhorseman

That toll seems high. GWB to exit 7 should be $9.70.

You are stopping at exit 11. Toll from exit 11 to exit 14A is $4.75. Bridge toll to Staten Island is $14 which is why the turnpike is cheaper. 30 minutes to the port from exit 11 sounds good.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Couldn't get the Renaissance in Woodbridge as they were booked up but did get a great price at the Residence Inn. Much cheaper than EWR Marriott's & not that much further. Thanks for the suggestion. Lots of good restaurants in the area also. Thanks for the help. We always try to stay at Marriott if possible - plus with the lifetime platinum we get great upgrades.

YUCK...

NOT a nice RI....worst beds EVER..sorry, and the GM was REALLY rude to me.......was NOT happy there at all.....in fact, when I got sort of stuck driving home in snow after a ship tour, I booked another night at the Renaissance......

And the FFI in Woodbridge is NOT good either....

Fellow platinum for life.....that's not cool. And you SHOULD have been able to get into the Ren in WB..depending on your date...you have a 48 hour res guarantee as a Plat....and there are only RARE occasions when they cannot honor this...

If I were you I would call the Renaissance direct and try to get a manager....

I have only a few hotels on my never stay in again list, and the Residence Inn is one of them....PLUS it's a pain in the a$$ to find....try to NOT do it at night, it's a maze of roads...and the Fairfield Inn is in a crappy area...worse than the Renaissance EWR......

I know you are not a Courtyard fan...but....well...)

Look, make the choice that's best for you, YMMV and you might love the Residence Inn, but rude managers who refuse to even buy me a lousy 1000 points for NOT sleeping at all the night I was there, and who say" Oh You're SO wrong, we get compliments on our beds..." ( I SWEAR !!! ) will NEVER get my business again....

NJhorseman question: after you pass the toll plaza you said take the 2 lane road. Will that be on your left, right or straight ahead after you exit the toll? Is there a sign for it & what does it say? Are there any signs that say to the port? Where is the parking terminal- is that the directions you gave me to just to the luggage drop off area? Do we go first to drop off the luggage or park first? We can definitely drag our luggage from the parking lot if needed. Do we need to pay to park immediately when entering the garage?

I will definitely print out the directions & bring them with me.

Whats the reverse directions to leave the port & get onto NJT southbound?

I'm a lifelong NYer but have lived in DC for the past few years- don't know NJ too well- I just transit though to LI & always stop for gas.

GPS said it should take about 30 minutes to get to the port area- does that sound right to you?

I agree with you on GPS- I have had it route me wrong before so don't always trust it especially in an area that has new construction. All the new construction done in DC is not on GPS & we have lifetime maps updating.

Again thanks for your help.

Hi, because my original post was only in the Quantum thread I post now here again:

Hello from Germany,

hopefully someone can help us:

We are sailing on the Quantum 12 - 24. April and after the cruise we have a follow on flight from JFK at 1PM. When I booked the flight I was not aware of travel distances and times.

What is the earliest possible time to leave the ship and does anybody know some transportation options to JFK.

We stayed sometimes in Florida, but we are absolutely new to this area.

thank you for your help, best regards :)

Wolfgang + Mary

OK...so hopefully you will not have a lot of luggage. I suggest doing self assist departure, and then walking to the taxi/transportation dispatch area (you will see a booth just across from the terminal...) and get onto a shared van to JFK. Allow 90 minutes to get there....you are cutting it a little close.

Alternately and probably my preferred choice is to arrange a car service...you can try http://www.dial7.com OR http://www.carmellimo.com

That way, they will be there, and NOT wait for the van to fill up, and you'll be on the way. If you only have a couple bags, you're looking at about $100 USD excluding tips and tolls....

Otherwise, the shared shuttle from the pier is $27 USD per person, plus gratuity ($5-10 USD is fine total, depending on how many bags you have....)

Edited by megr1125

Cat...

No garage at Cape Liberty....yet. Just a lot.. ..

You can follow the cars to drop off....then loop around and park...you'll pay on entry and they are not the fastest people in the world..LOL.....

$19 per day currently...

For the turnpike South, follow the road to exit the pier, then turn RIGHT at the light at the end of the road...from there, it's about 1-2 miles down...stay to the right, you will see signs.....getting back to the TPKE is not bad....follow the traffic....

Edited by megr1125

Yes you are right we could get into the Renaissance with a platinum override. But when the hotel is full & you get the override there is no discounts. The rate was over $200 for the night & the RI was $109 with a discount. If we were going to a resort maybe but for one night the RI will be fine as we will probably arrive late pm & leave in am after breakfast. Someone did mention about bedbugs on TA though so hope that's not the case.

We will definitely arrive in the daylight. Any tips on driving there after you get off the Tpke? Is the correct instructions on google maps? That area looks new so new areas aren't always on GPS.

I definitely try never to stay at Courtyard due to having to pay for breakfast.

I checked the reviews on TA- when a hotel has few posts with some readers not being frequent posters, I tend to be leery. That was the case for this hotel. I am a big contributor to TA with many posts. Someone did mention about bedbugs on TA though so hope that's not the case. I'll post a review to TA after our stay.

Yes you are right we could get into the Renaissance with a platinum override. But when the hotel is full & you get the override there is no discounts. The rate was over $200 for the night & the RI was $109 with a discount. If we were going to a resort maybe but for one night the RI will be fine as we will probably arrive late pm & leave in am after breakfast. Someone did mention about bedbugs on TA though so hope that's not the case.

We will definitely arrive in the daylight. Any tips on driving there after you get off the Tpke? Is the correct instructions on google maps? That area looks new so new areas aren't always on GPS.

I definitely try never to stay at Courtyard due to having to pay for breakfast.

I checked the reviews on TA- when a hotel has few posts with some readers not being frequent posters, I tend to be leery. That was the case for this hotel. I am a big contributor to TA with many posts. Someone did mention about bedbugs on TA though so hope that's not the case. I'll post a review to TA after our stay.

You sound like ME with comments about TA!!! LOL....we must be distant relatives!

The hotel is not THAT new.....and you're right about the rate on the override...I kind of wonder what's going on......not sure of your travel dates, if it's in your sig, i have them off...

I would keep looking and maybe rates will drop! LOL

Anyway.....you will be able to see it in daylight...it's just sort of congested. I looked and once you get off the TPKE, you go boom boom boom onto 440, then 9 then to the hotel...

You're from here-ish and DC-ish so you're used to traffic clusters....the directions look like I remembered them... I arrived at night and it was hellish, and I live only 30-40 minutes away....:eek:

Edited by megr1125