CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Thanks-- do I need to reserve in advance, or just show up?

Just show up. Do it earlier rather than later because you might have to wait while they gather folks.

A good investment of time might be to check it out when you embark. Instead of rushing onto the ship (which if course we are all anxious to do), take a moment to walk over to the dispatch area and ask what they recommend for when you disembark. That way you will better understand your options and what you have to do when you return.

We are sailing on Anthem on 11/30/15' date=' and are considering driving up early and staying at a hotel on 11/28 and 11/29. Would like to stay at a hotel close to Cape Liberty to make the drive to the port less stressful on Monday morning.

No site-seeing planned, but would like to be close to a mall for something to do on Sunday the 29th. How inexpensively can this be done for? We obviously want a decent and safe place to stay. Two adults and one child in the same room.

We are willing to trade distance to the port for cost savings if the savings are significant.

We're inexperienced with finding and getting good deals on hotels. I can do the legwork if I know where to begin. Thank you for your help.[/quote']

What's your hotel budget? What kind if mall shopping do you want to do? The closer to New York you get, the more expensive the hotels will be. You can look at Secaucus NJ for the Plaza at Harmon Meadows. You can also look at Jackson Premium Oulets in Jackson, NJ. This is near Six Flags which will be closed in Nov, but the nearby hotels might be priced well. It should be a little over an hour from Jackson to Cape Liberty after 9 am on a Monday. You also want to consider Black Friday and the overall chaos of trying to shop that weekend in the close in NY metro area.

The outlets in Jackson are pretty nice, and there's Freehold Raceway mall that is not too far. Just off exit 7A from the NJ Turnpike are a newish Hampton Inn & Suites in Robbinsville, a Brand New Homewood Suites and PROBABLY by then, there should be a brand new Residence Inn, currently under construction...these are all on/off Route 130 which is about 3 miles from 7A....(the exit you'd need to go to Jackson Outlets if you desire..) and there are zillions of places to eat and shop close to those..and also a couple year old Hilton Garden Inn (it's also quite nice..)

I've been in all those hotels.....might be an option if you wish...check Hamilton/Robbinsville NJ.....

You're an hour away from the pier as well....just a thought....

My area of expertise is finding cheap accommodations at turnpike exit 8 in East Windsor because my mother lived there for five years. Look at the Quality Inn and the Days Inn in East Windsor - they are both under $100. Our family has stayed in both places several times. Since that is Thanksgiving weekend, I would book a cancellable room at either hotel well before the fall even if you haven't finalized your plans. I know for sure that the Days Inn can get booked up because several times it was unavailable to us and we had to Hotwire at exit 8A.

It is about 45 minutes to Cape Liberty from Exit 8 on the turnpike. I have done it a number of times - it is an easy drive leaving at 9:30 am and no messing with Newark Airport or Secaucus.

If you want more upscale recommendations let us know. Meg has already given you some excellent suggestions.

As soon as you're off the ship and one of the vans fills up.....sort of depends on timing of the ship's arrival.

I would guesstimate that they're running by 9 AM, but I would NOT book a train out before 11 AM....you're asking for trouble if the ship is late for some reason, and depending on the fare you buy, (assuming it is Amtrak) you'll have a hard time changing the ticket...

Thank you for all your information. We are leaving on a 7 day Bermuda cruise on Summit from Cape Liberty on May 17, 2015. There are 4 of us and we are staying the night before at the Crown Plaza Hotel ( Bayonne) booked through Stay123.com for $163.00 with 7 days parking. I haven't seen this hotel mentioned before. Any thoughts. Also, we will need transportation to the port for 4 with luggage. You have mentioned a few choices but not one taking us from the pier back to the hotel? The hotel did say they could help set up transportation upon check in however I have no idea what that means[emoji1]

Thank you for all your information. We are leaving on a 7 day Bermuda cruise on Summit from Cape Liberty on May 17, 2015. There are 4 of us and we are staying the night before at the Crown Plaza Hotel ( Bayonne) booked through Stay123.com for $163.00 with 7 days parking. I haven't seen this hotel mentioned before. Any thoughts. Also, we will need transportation to the port for 4 with luggage. You have mentioned a few choices but not one taking us from the pier back to the hotel? The hotel did say they could help set up transportation upon check in however I have no idea what that means[emoji1]

The Crowne Plaza is at Newark Airport, not Bayonne. It will cost you at least $50-60 each way to go to Cape Liberty and back for four people with luggage. The Crowne Plaza is not mentioned because it's just another airport hotel on the west side of the airport near route 1. Stay123 advertised it as if it were in Bayonne close to the port, which it is not. All the Newark/Elizabeth hotels are 10-11 miles from Cape Liberty and a cab or car service is pricey.

Did you consider the Ramada Plaza through Trinityreservations.com for $197 tax included for May 16 with 21 days parking AND round trip transportation for 4 people? If you are interested, you can probably cancel your stay123 reservation and switch, but don't delay in making that decision. Otherwise you are going to have to make the more expensive car service arrangements to get to and from the port.

Edited by 138east

If you spoke directly to the hotel, that's a terrible deception on their part as well as on the part of stay123. I looked at the stay123 web site and for several hotels they definitely give the impression the hotels are in Bayonne - shame on them. There are no hotels/motels in Bayonne that we would recommend.

I have used Trinityreservations and have emailed with them several times to discuss their offerings. All their quotes are tax included. They are a reputable Christian based company who always tell you to "have a blessed day".

A number of folks on this forum have stayed at the Ramada on this package and have been happy with the round trip port transportation.

I did speak to the front desk because of the transportation question. I will let you know. We have a little time. I checked the cancellation policy with Stay123. I am so glad I asked[emoji1]

Edited by LMKohler

By the way is the Ramada Plaza at the airport or closer to the port. I would like to look it up on the Internet and I want to make sure I have the right hotel!

The Ramada Plaza is on Frontage Road on the north side of the airport next to the Doubletree. It is right near the NJ Turnpike exit 14, which makes it one of the closet hotels to the port. I stayed there one time when it was a Holiday Inn and it was fine. Not fancy, but it does have a pickup cafe, a restaurant, and a popular sports bar called Teddy's.

Seriously, don't delay. The way these park/sleep businesses work is that they buy a block of rooms with parking from the hotel, remarket them to the park/sleep crowd, and when their allocation of rooms is gone for a date, it is gone.

I know this has been asked before-but what if we opted to take one car and park at the port. How does that work, I.e., cost, safety of vehicle, driving, etc.?

Lucy,

We always drive and park at the port. We cruised 11 times out of Cape Liberty. It is very safe, fenced in secure lot and convenient. We are in the car and out of the port while most people are still waiting for vans to fill up or to be picked up by shuttle, etc. It is $19 a day so it would be $133 for the 7 night Bermuda cruise.

Anne Maria

Edited by CruisingChick

Lucy,

Please give us more details about what you're thinking. There are many advantages to parking at the port. If you're coming from the south and not sightseeing in NYC, a good strategy is to get a less expensive hotel within an hour of the port in a more suburban area and take the easy drive to the port on Sunday morning.

Carol & Meg - thank you for your suggestions. Was just hoping to get the best deal and proximity to the port possible. I know we can get a room in the Philly area for about $200 including tax with roughly a 90 minute drive to the port. We'd rather be closer and pay a little more.

We don't really want to go shopping for anything specific. We just want to be near something to kill time on Sunday. Perhaps a walk through a mall or a movie. We prefer not to go into NY.

I saw a price with getaroom.com for the Country Inn & Suites in Newark for $274.50 including tax for a king + sofa bed. Would need to prepay, but has a free cancellation up to one day before the stay.

What are your opinions on SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Newark? Expedia has a King + sofa bed for $230.99 including tax. Similar cancellation policy as the Country Inn. Oh, and it's pay later.

Thanks again!

Robert

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

That hotel is 5-10 miles from the pier, not 3..they're crazy....and it's a nightmare trying to get there if you are driving..

The Ramada Plaza is a LITTLE closer... The Crowne Plaza is hard to get to and NOT really in a nice area...the cheap place next door is a no tell motel.....

As for driving to the pier, and parking...it's 19 bucks a day currently and the lot is secure. Aside from occasional traffic, it's not a bad drive. Carol 138 has good directions, they're around here someplace...

The garage, to the best of my knowledge, is not even being built yet....again, not 100% sure but when I was there in Jan, aside from some fencing, it's not there...BUT the lot is only accessible on ship days....

Edited by megr1125

Carol & Meg - thank you for your suggestions. Was just hoping to get the best deal and proximity to the port possible. I know we can get a room in the Philly area for about $200 including tax with roughly a 90 minute drive to the port. We'd rather be closer and pay a little more.

We don't really want to go shopping for anything specific. We just want to be near something to kill time on Sunday. Perhaps a walk through a mall or a movie. We prefer not to go into NY.

I saw a price with getaroom.com for the Country Inn & Suites in Newark for $274.50 including tax for a king + sofa bed. Would need to prepay' date=' but has a free cancellation up to one day before the stay.

What are your opinions on SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Newark? Expedia has a King + sofa bed for $230.99 including tax. Similar cancellation policy as the Country Inn. Oh, and it's pay later.

Thanks again!

Robert[/quote']

It's fine but there is nothing to eat. I am NEVER a fan of NOT booking direct, though I get people want to save money.....I just want my points, and frankly if something is wrong or the hotel overbooks, the person who booked via a consolidator is lower on the food chain.. LOL :D The SHS was remodeled about a year or 2 ago, so it's in better shape than it was.....

If it were me, I'd shop around for the Country Inn or one of the others on Glimcher Realty way.... trust me...getting to the SHS is a pain in the a$$ and I have done it a zillion times, and I still can get confused...

At least at the Country inn (and Courtyard Elizabeth, Residence Inn Elizabeth and Embassy Suites you have choices to eat...at the SHS or CY Newark or Fairfield Inn Nwk you're stuck with going out, ordering in or the bistro at the Courtyard...)

Hope that makes sense...

You're welcome too!

Edited by megr1125

Personally I'd seriously consider Country Inns for a variety of reasons.

1). Free breakfast

2) Pool

3) Jersey Gardens Mall next door with food court and movies

4). Elizabeth Center nearby with IKEA and ToysRus

5). Easy to find at exit 13A

Ok. Sold on Country Inns. Anyone have a good or bad experience with getaroom.com? I'm not happy that they want to charge me immediately, where I can wait to pay at the hotel by booking directly with Country Inns.

Any advantages to waiting to pay vs paying now (if the room is refundable)?

I'm such a newbie with this sort of thing! :)

Edited by Cruisin'4Us

Read the reviews about getaroom.com. The one thing that people like is their customer service.

In the end it's a personal choice. I use Hotwire a lot and don't even know what hotel I'm getting, but I have an excellent track record for guessing. I actually don't mind prepaying if an option to cancel is offered. To me that's the best of everything. I float a lot of money with RCL putting deposits on cruises when I see a good price. I'm sitting on one cruise for Oct that almost doubled in price before it was sold out.

Hi for those of you Marriott members out there I did some investigating. First off we are from NY & have only lived in DC for a few years so we know NYC area well but not Jersey as much.

There are 3 Marriotts- Fairfield Inn Courtyard & Springhill suites that are the closets to the port. Downside no places to eat nearby although restaurants do deliver. They all charge for parking.

Renaissance is on Rt1 & 9. I have stayed there before- great hotel but sketchy area. Parking $16. They have a free shuttle service to a nearby bar restaurant. The concierge lounge is opened on weekends for breakfast. a little difficult to find but GPS should be able to get you there.

Residence Inn the priciest, also charges for parking & the furthest away.

I haven't looked for Marriott's but want to be within an hours drive up in the am. Anyone have any other Marriott suggestions?

What time should we plan on getting to the port for Celebrity? Is getting there around 930am too early? What time can you board the ship?