CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

We will be in NYC prior to our Quantum OTS cruise in April. Does anyone have an idea of what the cab fare would be from W 57th to Cape Liberty? Also, what is the cab fare from Cape Liberty to JFK on a Saturday.

We will be in NYC prior to our Quantum OTS cruise in April. Does anyone have an idea of what the cab fare would be from W 57th to Cape Liberty? Also, what is the cab fare from Cape Liberty to JFK on a Saturday.

Figure close to 100 bucks.

Car service is less. Nyc cabbies do NOT have to go anyplace in NJ other than ewr airport...they cannot pick up return fares so basically it is meter, plus round trip tolls...tip...and extra 15-20 buckks...

Same with back to JFK as NJ cabs cant pick up return fares...

You can prob get a shuttle back by seeing tbe taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty to save money..

Try dial7 or carmel limo

http://Www.dial7.com

http://Www.carmellimo.com

Click the link to my Cape Liberty blog...i have a photo of the price list from Cape Liberty's transportation dispatcher at the pier..taken in Jan.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Edited by megr1125

I am considering using one of the various "China Town" bus services that runs between DC and NY to get to Cape Liberty for a cruise in July. Does anyone know which of these companies drops off close to the cruise terminal? So far, I only see mid-town, Penn Station and Brooklyn. Thanks, KVG

None of them...

Amd NOooooooooooooooo!! Dont do it...been there, scary ride amd too many accidents with them

Sent from my Galaxy S5

HI

We are from Warren Pa a small town where 10 miles take 10 minutes to travel. My husband hates big city driving. This said, would we be better off staying at the Newark airport area and shuttle bus to port or stay downtown with a view and then drive to port and self park? We are on the Summit to Bermuda May 10th . We are traveling with my 89 year old mother with limited mobility. Mom has never been to NYC but loves a view. I was considering the Hyatt in Jersey city. Would this be a good choice for a view and dining? We would probably have to eat at the hotel once he parks the car it is parked. We have never ridden the subway, taken a bus and very limited taxi experience maybe 3 times would this be safe for mom she is very slow walker. Like I said small town, so any easy access sightseeing and dining tips would be greatly appreciated. This will be an early 90th birthday cruise for mom so we splurged to our first Royal suite!!! I want to board early. I do not want to wait all day for a shuttle from the airport hotels. How much would a taxi be from airport hotel to port? Thanks in advance!!

Sheri, John And Elizabeth

Hi, we're a family of 4 from downtown NYC with young children on the Quantum sailing in April from Cape Liberty. Can someone advise if it's better to drive/park to the terminal or take a cab/car? If drive/park is suggested, is there a distance to travel from the parking to the check-in terminal (ie bus/shuttle).

Also is there early check in for those booked in a suite?

Thanks!

HI

We are from Warren Pa a small town where 10 miles take 10 minutes to travel. My husband hates big city driving. This said, would we be better off staying at the Newark airport area and shuttle bus to port or stay downtown with a view and then drive to port and self park? We are on the Summit to Bermuda May 10th . We are traveling with my 89 year old mother with limited mobility. Mom has never been to NYC but loves a view. I was considering the Hyatt in Jersey city. Would this be a good choice for a view and dining? We would probably have to eat at the hotel once he parks the car it is parked. We have never ridden the subway, taken a bus and very limited taxi experience maybe 3 times would this be safe for mom she is very slow walker. Like I said small town, so any easy access sightseeing and dining tips would be greatly appreciated. This will be an early 90th birthday cruise for mom so we splurged to our first Royal suite!!! I want to board early. I do not want to wait all day for a shuttle from the airport hotels. How much would a taxi be from airport hotel to port? Thanks in advance!!

Sheri, John And Elizabeth

Mom would love the view from the Hyatt. The hotel is priced well for your May 9 date. IMO it's easier to get to the Hyatt than to deal with the spaghetti roads around Newark Airport. You take the NJ turnpike extension towards the Holland Tunnel and get off at Christopher Columbus Drive which I believe is the first exit after you pay the toll for Exit 14C, but before you get to the Holland Tunnel. The Hyatt is about 13 blocks away down on the waterfront. Your husband can do that! To get to the port you go back the way you came in, get on the turnpike westbound, and get off in two exits at exit 14A. I can provide the detailed directions to get into the port from there.

I would like more information about your mother's mobility issues and how you plan to deal with them. My elderly mother was my cruise buddy before she passed away and we sailed from Caoe Liberty to the Caribbean and Bermuda five times. As her mobility issues increased, I purchased a lightweight collapsible transport chair so that I could easily push her around the ship, ensure she was safe getting on and off, and give her greater access to destinations on shore. On our last cruise I was able to take Mom up to the Maritime museum at

King's Wharf, which she thoroughly enjoyed along with visiting some shops.

Hi, we're a family of 4 from downtown NYC with young children on the Quantum sailing in April from Cape Liberty. Can someone advise if it's better to drive/park to the terminal or take a cab/car? If drive/park is suggested, is there a distance to travel from the parking to the check-in terminal (ie bus/shuttle).

Also is there early check in for those booked in a suite?

Thanks!

How many days is your cruise? Parking is $19/day plus the tunnel toll and some turnpike toll. It should be a quick trip from downtown NYC if you are at all close to the Holland tunnel. I can post the directions from the turnpike Exit 14A.

No more shuttle buses. DH can easily drop you and the kids and the luggage off at the terminal, park the car, and walk back. You will get some sort of priority boarding if you are in a suite. The day I sailed boarding started before 11 am. and suite guests were called first.

I have a couple of questions.

We're sailing Liberty out of Cape Liberty on May 6 - staying in Jersey City at the Doubletree.

My first question - regarding transport from EWR to hotel, hotel to port and port to EWR- has anyone used UBER? And if so, what are your thoughts on that option vs. taxi/car service?

Second question - does anyone know if Luggage Valet service is available to EWR from departing the ship?

Thanks!

I have a couple of questions.

We're sailing Liberty out of Cape Liberty on May 6 - staying in Jersey City at the Doubletree.

My first question - regarding transport from EWR to hotel, hotel to port and port to EWR- has anyone used UBER? And if so, what are your thoughts on that option vs. taxi/car service?

Second question - does anyone know if Luggage Valet service is available to EWR from departing the ship?

Thanks!

Folks haven't been too keen on Uber in the Newark/Bayonne area, but I'll let them post about it.

No luggage valet to EWR as far as I am aware.

I wouldn't use Uber, or at least UberX in NJ until our state legislators and governor get off their rear ends and enact a law enabling municipalities to regulate UberX as they do taxi and car services. Until that happens you can't be sure if your UberX driver and car are properly licensed and insured. In at least one city, Hoboken, police were ticketing UberX drivers when they caught them and forcing passengers to get out of the car and obtain other transportation.

To reiterate UberX drivers/cars in NJ are often not commercially licensed and insured, and operate illegally.

Mom would love the view from the Hyatt. The hotel is priced well for your May 9 date. IMO it's easier to get to the Hyatt than to deal with the spaghetti roads around Newark Airport. You take the NJ turnpike extension towards the Holland Tunnel and get off at Christopher Columbus Drive which I believe is the first exit after you pay the toll for Exit 14C, but before you get to the Holland Tunnel. The Hyatt is about 13 blocks away down on the waterfront. Your husband can do that! To get to the port you go back the way you came in, get on the turnpike westbound, and get off in two exits at exit 14A. I can provide the detailed directions to get into the port from there.

I would like more information about your mother's mobility issues and how you plan to deal with them. My elderly mother was my cruise buddy before she passed away and we sailed from Caoe Liberty to the Caribbean and Bermuda five times. As her mobility issues increased, I purchased a lightweight collapsible transport chair so that I could easily push her around the ship, ensure she was safe getting on and off, and give her greater access to destinations on shore. On our last cruise I was able to take Mom up to the Maritime museum at

King's Wharf, which she thoroughly enjoyed along with visiting some shops.

Hi Carol

Mom can walk short distances and we have a collapsible chair that we use on the ship and in port. She likes to walk but we need the chair for a guaranteed seat when she needs it. She can even do steps one flight but then has to rest. I was wondering if the taxi tours in bermuda will take the chair? I know crystal caves has 81 steps but are they continuous or are there rest stops. The harbor night festival in hamilton is that worth going to? I have read that the ferry is ok to use for limited mobility is this true? Sorry for all the questions but I am finding it hard to find info on bermuda and access. As you know there are many things to consider when traveling with the elderly like bathroom locations and heat problems while waiting in long lines for attractions or transportation. I like to plan excursions that are private so no long lines. We are thinking about renting a small boat and cruising around ourself on day 2 and doing a taxi tour on the first day any info would be appreciated. thanks sheri

Sheri, I wish I could help you with more details, but I was never able to take my mom out of the Kings Wharf area. We were super lucky to have one of the gigantic corner balconies on deck 7 on the Explorer and my mom was very happy watching everything from there. There is plenty of port activity to see from the balcony on both sides of the ship, so you can't worry about which way you are docked.

I would post on the Diabled Cruisers board as well as the Bermuda board under ports of Call to get the answers to your questions. My instincts tell me that you would be better off spending the money to hire a private taxi to get around. I would also bet that the caves are not a good destination.

Folks haven't been too keen on Uber in the Newark/Bayonne area, but I'll let them post about it.

No luggage valet to EWR as far as I am aware.

Thank you - bummed about no luggage valet! Got used to it sailing from FLL! :(

I wouldn't use Uber, or at least UberX in NJ until our state legislators and governor get off their rear ends and enact a law enabling municipalities to regulate UberX as they do taxi and car services. Until that happens you can't be sure if your UberX driver and car are properly licensed and insured. In at least one city, Hoboken, police were ticketing UberX drivers when they caught them and forcing passengers to get out of the car and obtain other transportation.

To reiterate UberX drivers/cars in NJ are often not commercially licensed and insured, and operate illegally.

Thanks for the heads up! It seems that may be the case in a lot of cities. But, it's a huge draw for the younger generation, so I thought I might jump on the band wagon!! But, I will call a private car or taxi instead....best be safe than sorry.

Hi Carol

Mom can walk short distances and we have a collapsible chair that we use on the ship and in port. She likes to walk but we need the chair for a guaranteed seat when she needs it. She can even do steps one flight but then has to rest. I was wondering if the taxi tours in bermuda will take the chair? I know crystal caves has 81 steps but are they continuous or are there rest stops. The harbor night festival in hamilton is that worth going to? I have read that the ferry is ok to use for limited mobility is this true? Sorry for all the questions but I am finding it hard to find info on bermuda and access. As you know there are many things to consider when traveling with the elderly like bathroom locations and heat problems while waiting in long lines for attractions or transportation. I like to plan excursions that are private so no long lines. We are thinking about renting a small boat and cruising around ourself on day 2 and doing a taxi tour on the first day any info would be appreciated. thanks sheri

We are regular visitors to Bedrmuda.

As I recall there are a couple of landings on the Crystal Cave stairs, but this is absolutely not a place for someone with mobility issues to go. The steps and walkways can be slippery, and I doubt you would be permitted to take the collapsible chair into the cave.

In general Bermuda is not a great place for mobility-challenged people. While the main ferry route to and from Dockyard is handicapped accessible, buses are not.

Taking a private taxi tour is probably a good idea. They should be able to store a small collapsible chair in the back of the taxi. Most taxis are minivan-type vehicles, so they do require a small step and down to get in and out.

I went to Harbour Nights years ago and wouldn't bother to go again, but I wouldn't rule it out for a first time visitor. It can get crowded, and I don't know if the crowds might be too daunting for someone with limited mobility or the people assisting them.

Edited by njhorseman

Hi Carol

Here are some videos if the Hyatt area made by Post Captain.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

munch22

We have been to bermuda & the caves. IMO the caves are not worth going to even without mobility issues. I have been to a lot of caves, the ones in Bermuda are not worth going to.

Mary

Thank you for the input. I checked out a couple of you tube videos and she could not do that many steps.

Here are some videos if the Hyatt area made by Post Captain.

PostCaptain

Here's a brief video showing a glimpse of of the Westin, which is located right across the street from a pleasant marina. (And there's a fancy restaurant on the marina property.)

And here's the Hyatt Regency and environs:

Another view of the Hyatt--as seen from the Hudson, starting at about 2:45 into this video:

Thank you So Much Carol this was above and beyond for you to take the time to post all of this for me I really Appreciate your effort!!! The videos looked great but my husband talked me into saving the money by staying out in parsippany on saturday and park at the port early and check out the NYC Skyline from the ship instead. I knew he would talk me out of touring the city. I hate being practical on vacation!!!! But I will make him stay here some other trip. Again thank you for all the great info!!!! Sheri

Too bad. Ask your husband to reconsider,. You're sailing from Bayonne, not Manhattan and the views will be from a much greater distance and at a odd angle from the ship. If you look at a map you will see that Cape Liberty is close to Staten Island, south of Manhattan, and west of Brooklyn.

My husband and I are leaving out of Cape Liberty in May on a Sunday for a 7-Day cruise. We are driving to the port. Is parking still $19 per day? We would like to arrive one day earlier and I did check there is a ship leaving that day. Our son lives in Manhattan so we thought we would leave our car and luggage at the port and then go to see him in Manhattan. What is the best way to get to Manhattan from Cape Liberty? We are then either thinking of staying in Manhattan for the night at a hotel and then returning the next day to Cape Liberty or is there a hotel closer to the Cape Liberty port that would shuttle us back to the port?

Thanks!!:)

My husband and I are leaving out of Cape Liberty in May on a Sunday for a 7-Day cruise. We are driving to the port. Is parking still $19 per day? We would like to arrive one day earlier and I did check there is a ship leaving that day. Our son lives in Manhattan so we thought we would leave our car and luggage at the port and then go to see him in Manhattan. What is the best way to get to Manhattan from Cape Liberty? We are then either thinking of staying in Manhattan for the night at a hotel and then returning the next day to Cape Liberty or is there a hotel closer to the Cape Liberty port that would shuttle us back to the port?

Thanks!!:)

That's way too complicated and probably not cost effective. A car service from Cape Liberty to Manhattan will be almost $100 each way. Driving will be much less expensive.

What is your exact date? You might want to look at a hotel in Jersey City like the Courtyard which would be less than a Manhattan hotel with parking under $25. PATH is right next door and will take you to Herald Square for $2.75 where you can connect to the subway. Where exactly does your son live in Manhattan?

We are staying at the country inn and suites near EWR and leaving out of cape liberty. We would like to take a taxi or car service to the port and wondered if anyone had recommendations. We would like to know approximate cost. This will be our first trip to the northeast and any information or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

We are staying at the country inn and suites near EWR and leaving out of cape liberty. We would like to take a taxi or car service to the port and wondered if anyone had recommendations. We would like to know approximate cost. This will be our first trip to the northeast and any information or opinions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Can I assume that you have decided not to use the cruise shuttle option from Country inns for $70 round trip for two people? If not you can call a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo and pay about $55-60 including tip and tolls to go to the port. Coming back you can engage a car service to take you back or use the shared shuttles for $16/pp to the airport and $17 to the hotel.

That's way too complicated and probably not cost effective. A car service from Cape Liberty to Manhattan will be almost $100 each way. Driving will be much less expensive.

After doing a little research, I agree. I am a TA and found a rate of $166 for the Newark Ramada Plaza. I think we will stay there and then figure out how to get to NYC from there and I believe that comes with a free shuttle to the port. Any other suggestions are appreciated...thanks!!