CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

After doing a little research, I agree. I am a TA and found a rate of $166 for the Newark Ramada Plaza. I think we will stay there and then figure out how to get to NYC from there and I believe that comes with a free shuttle to the port. Any other suggestions are appreciated...thanks!!

Where are you seeing this rate? Ramada Plaza dies not offer Cruiseport transportation. To get the parking and the cruiseport transportation you have to book the park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com for $197 tax included. Trinity organizes the port transfer - as far as I am aware it is NOT available with a direct booking at the Ramada.

Do you have the cars only driving directions from Boston?

Edited by 138east

We are looking at all options. I should have mentioned there are 4 adults in our party and I am comparing costs to see what might be work best for us. We would like to get to the port about 10:00 or 10:30 what time would you leave the hotel. It will be on a Monday if that matters. One more question how much are the extra tolls with the car service . Sorry for so many questions but I am sure threr will be more.:)

With four people I'd call the no frills service Independent driver - 888-816-0973 about 4-6 weeks out. Their price for four should be about $50. I'd plan to leave the hotel between 9:30 am and 10'am. The toll is not expensive and they may not charge for it.

Edited by 138east

Where are you seeing this rate? Ramada Plaza dies not offer Cruiseport transportation. To get the parking and the cruiseport transportation you have to book the park/sleep/cruise through Trinityreservations.com for $197 tax included. Trinity organizes the port transfer - as far as I am aware it is NOT available with a direct booking at the Ramada.

The above rate of $166 does not include transfers but I called the hotel and they told me that taxi service to the port is $55 each way. I may call Independent Drive and see what their fees are for transportation to the port as well. I have clients going one week before my cruise and there are 6 of them, so that may be cheaper.

Can you please tell me a little bit about the Ramada. Is it comparable to Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth? I stayed there before and was very happy with the accommodations.

Thanks!!

IMO no but it is not bad...nothing around though .. I think Carol stayed there...I toured the Ramada a couple years back and it was acceptable....Not my preferred brand BUT it is fine as a cheaper place to stay and we prefer it to the wyndham and

Worst Western...

They are renovating the country inn...

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Hi we are cruising out of new york on the summit in June and are flying in a few days before for sight seeing in New York.

We are staying at the Shelburne NYC on Lexington Avenue.

Can anyone excplain how best to get from the airport to the hotel and then from hotel to the port on the morning of the saiing.

Hi we are cruising out of new york on the summit in June and are flying in a few days before for sight seeing in New York.

We are staying at the Shelburne NYC on Lexington Avenue.

Can anyone excplain how best to get from the airport to the hotel and then from hotel to the port on the morning of the saiing.

What airport?

You're staying in NY and sailing from NJ. You'll want to contact a car service ...it is expensive since you're going from 1 state to another and a taxi will be over $100 US...Car service should be less....

try http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com Those should be less, and will likely add on a gratuity...but they will advise you. If they do add it, you're not expected to tip more ...if not, maybe 10-20 US$ is good, depending on how much stuff you have.

Allow an hour to get to the pier in NJ.

You can actually use the same car services to get to the hotel....

Edited by megr1125

What airport? You're staying in NY and sailing from NJ. You'll want to contact a car service ...it is expensive since you're going from 1 state to another and a taxi will be over $100 US...Car service should be less.... http://www.dial7.com or http://www.carmellimo.com Allow an hour to get to the pier in NJ ...

Title: EWR Airport (mobile browser or Tapatalk don' always show it) to NYC

A quick lookup -

From EWR, once cleared US immigration/custom & with luggage, go to the ground transportation area & look for the Newark Airporter Bus (formerly Olympia Trails/Coash USA) for the next scheduled departure, generally @15 minutes interval, one-way fare is $16 USD p/p - travel time is generally under 1 way. It has 3 stops - you want the last stop on the East Side of Manhattan, nearest to Grand Central Station @ Park Avenue South & E. 41st Street. Shelburne Hotel is on Lexington & E. 37th Street - easy 5 blocks, walk 1 semi-long city block east to Lexington, turn right to go south for 4 short city blocks to hotel.

http://coachusa1.reachlocal.net/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

*** Assumed you have 1 checked luggage on wheels (rollers or spinners) and 1 carry-on or backpack that you can manage. Taken this for 35 years when it served the Vista Hotel, downtown at the World Trade Center - might need to transfer to their free shuttle bus from the Port Authority (1st. stop) to stop #3 - bus driver/dispatcher will inform you, no need to take a taxi ride to the hotel (this will save you about 2/3 the costs of a one-way car service/taxi fares across state line, NJ to NY)

From hotel to Cape Liberty Cruise Port in Bayonne, NJ - our favorite car service, Carmel is showing a fare of about $47 USD, just add 15 to 20% tipping as there is no toll leaving NY to NJ, only the opposite direction. You should be able to prebook that after arrival in NY and have the pickup scheduled in front of the hotel, 1 hour travel time should normally be enough for weekend traffic in the morning is generally lighter in/out of NYC. (Check for an online coupon/discount code as you get closer to deduct $3 or $4 from the fare, Dial 7's fares usually slightly higher & there's a $4 off for fares higher than $49) P.S. there is an APP (free) for them ;)

OK - so you're taking a three night cruise and need a hotel room on Thur March 3. It's really too early to make reservations, but you can do some research and be prepared to make an informed decision when the time is right.

I understand that you want the cheapest option, but Newark/Bayonne is a highly urban area where the cheapest may be more cheap than you can imagine.

My suggestion for a strategy would be as follows:

1). Pay to park at the port for 3 days. Cost is currently $19/day.

2). Look at hotels near route I80 near Parsipanny NJ. If you see something you can live with, make a cancellable reservation. A "cheap" hotel in this area will be much nicer than any cheap property in the Newark/Bayonne area.

3). As you get closer to your date, watch Hotwire to see what you can get for less money. For the end of March this year I'm seeing a wide selection of properties under $100.

The Parsipanny area is 45 minutes to an hour from the port - should be an easy drive the morning of the cruise. After you drive all the way from Michigan, you will be happy to get off the road in a nicer suburban area with restaurants and services than to continue on and try to find your hotel destination in the confusing area around Newark Airport

Looking for some suggestions on getting from Cape Liberty cruise terminal to the NJ Transit Secaucus Junction station. Looking to go south to get to Hamilton station. This trip is not until Oct so I have time to plan.

You shoud go to Newark Penn station. The taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty can put you in a shared shuttle for $17/pp.

Thank you. I am guessing several folks must go this route to have a shuttle. Also I am assuming this shuttle is near the exit? I have not been at the new terminal yet. I do remember the old one.

What part of the U.S. are you coming from? What are you paying for your rooms? What age group are you in and do you have experience with highly urban areas? What in particular attracted you to this hotel? What are your sightseeing objectives in NYC?

The Element is a new hotel. However, it is in Harrison NJ, a very urban area just east of downtown Newark, so safety is a consideration. It is also located near the train tracks, so overnight noise is a concern if you're on the wrong side of the hotel. The hotel does not seem to offer a Newark Airport shuttle, which is an added expense. It will take you at least 40-45 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan on PATH via a transfer at Journal Square.

Did you consider the Robert Treat in downtown Newark which is a full service hotel with an airport and Newark Penn Station shuttle, free breakfast, and free internet? Using Newark Penn Station as a transportation hub gives you NJTransit access to New York Penn Station for $5 and PATH access to downtown Manhattan for $2.75. It's a very busy station with lots of folks coming and going as opposed to the Harrison PATH station which always looks somewhat deserted.

Going out on Summit Oct. 4. Looking at staying at the Element. Anything new as far as information from folks on this hotel? Offers airport shuttle, but nothing to the port. Taxi or car service? Do you know how much a taxi to the pier would be? Looking at this area because of proximity to Path. Coming in two days early and want to spend a couple of days going to the city. Thanks for all the info you guys give.

Going out on Summit Oct. 4. Looking at staying at the Element. Anything new as far as information from folks on this hotel? Offers airport shuttle, but nothing to the port. Taxi or car service? Do you know how much a taxi to the pier would be? Looking at this area because of proximity to Path. Coming in two days early and want to spend a couple of days going to the city. Thanks for all the info you guys give.

No one has reported staying at this hotel yet. Car service or taxi to the port would be $50-60. There is an easy public transit option via PATH, the light rail, and local taxi for about $20 for two people. Please look at Google Earth. I'm sure the hotel is fine. The Harrison PATH station always seems so deserted, so that's a consideration late at night.

Did you look at the Robert Treat? On the weekend PATH is a longer ride to midtown - transfer at Journal Square and routed via Hoboken - so having a direct train option is nice. Newark Penn Station is a busy place. Cab ride to this hotel would be inexpensive if you're not in sync with the hotel shuttle.

Thanks for the info Carol. We would be going into the city on Friday and Saturday. Go in morning and be back before dinner so am not too concerned about the deserted station. Getting a great rate. Pay for first night at best available rate and pay your birthday (48) for the second night. Good promotion for us old guys.

We are taking the April 12 Quantum cruise. After the cruise we are planning to stay in the New York area for a week (we live in AZ). We have family and friends in Queens and Brooklyn that we will be staying with. The trick is to pick up a rental car that we can drop off in Queens for a reasonable price. I was able to get a week long rental from Budget with pick up at the Hampton Inn in Staten Island and a drop off at LGA for a reasonable rate. The trick is to get from the port to the Hampton Inn without breaking the bank. Any thoughts on how best to get from Port Liberty to the Hampton Inn? Car service? About how much would that cost. Other ideas are welcome.

We are taking the April 12 Quantum cruise. After the cruise we are planning to stay in the New York area for a week (we live in AZ). We have family and friends in Queens and Brooklyn that we will be staying with. The trick is to pick up a rental car that we can drop off in Queens for a reasonable price. I was able to get a week long rental from Budget with pick up at the Hampton Inn in Staten Island and a drop off at LGA for a reasonable rate. The trick is to get from the port to the Hampton Inn without breaking the bank. Any thoughts on how best to get from Port Liberty to the Hampton Inn? Car service? About how much would that cost. Other ideas are welcome.

Regardless of where you rent a car it will cost you money to get there unless you use Enterprise in Bayonne. I'd contact Village Car Service on Staten Island and get a quote from them. On top of the base rate you will have to pay the $14 bridge toll plus tip. I'm guessing in the $60 range.

The other thing to try might be to call the Hampton Inn to see if you can arrange to utilize the free shuttle from Cape Liberty to the Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden post cruise. I'm sure the shuttle will be at CL picking up cruisers who have parked at the hotel. You're not a hotel guest, but you are renting a car from a business that is in the hotel. It never hurts to ask - all they can say is no.