CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Carol, so the driving directions I have is correct? As you had indicated, I had changed my email to give the hotel in Woodbridge & not New Brunswick. I had checked New Brunswick but it was too far & off Rt1&9 & not close to the NJT so picked Woodbridge. When I originally wrote the email I just put the wrong city so that's why I did the followup email to correct my error when I noticed it.

I believe Meg is the one who has stayed at the Residence Inn in Woodbridge. She is going to have to respond.

My area of expertise is the exit 8 and exit 8A area because my parents lived there for 15 years and I spent a lot of time there in my mother's later years. Our family has stayed in many of the hotels, but never at the Cranbury Residence Inn. (I'm not seeing a Residence Inn actually located in New Brunswick). We always went for the least expensive rooms and that was never on the list.

I believe Meg is the one who has stayed at the Residence Inn in Woodbridge. She is going to have to respond.

My area of expertise is the exit 8 and exit 8A area because my parents lived there for 15 years and I spent a lot of time there in my mother's later years. Our family has stayed in many of the hotels, but never at the Cranbury Residence Inn. (I'm not seeing a Residence Inn actually located in New Brunswick). We always went for the least expensive rooms and that was never on the list.

I did....and frankly I did not like it...but that's probably me. Anyway, it's a mile or 2 off the NJ Tpke, and you should be able to get back on easily...or fairly easily. Allow an hour, that part of the world can be traffic purgatory....

(For the record, the mattresses were terrible...I was upgraded to a 2 BR suite since I am Platinum for life...tried both beds, and both were awful. The GM was NOT a nice person, basically told me I was wrong. NOT how you provide good customer service. Since I got stuck in a snowstorm, I spent the night on the way home at the Renaissance in Woodbridge...much nicer IMO....not beautiful, but better...and easier to get to IMO.) The Residence Inn Woodbridge is one of only about 5 hotels on my NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN list...

Thanks Carol & Meg for your helpful advice.

We too are platinum for life at Marriott so always try to stay at a Marriott whenever possible. I was searching the Woodbridge & New Brunswick Marriotts & think that's where I got confused. I had originally booked at the Woodbridge location but I believe you both told me to look at the New Brunswick location. I did look at New Brunswick & the Woodbridge one won out because of the better location closer to the port & easy on/off NJT & cheaper. It's only one night so hopefully we will be OK.

I am a big TA user & have 209 helpful votes so I will post my review to TA after we finish. And here on CC also.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Thanks Carol & Meg for your helpful advice.

We too are platinum for life at Marriott so always try to stay at a Marriott whenever possible. I was searching the Woodbridge & New Brunswick Marriotts & think that's where I got confused. I had originally booked at the Woodbridge location but I believe you both told me to look at the New Brunswick location. I did look at New Brunswick & the Woodbridge one won out because of the better location closer to the port & easy on/off NJT & cheaper. It's only one night so hopefully we will be OK.

I am a big TA user & have 209 helpful votes so I will post my review to TA after we finish. And here on CC also.

Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Any time...hope it works out for you.....will be interesting to hear your thoughts. I too post lots of reviews on TA... I am pickier than many since I worked for Marriott for 6 years, and was a housekeeping manager.... my tolerance is a LOT lower.. :eek::rolleyes::D

I would suggest arriving in daylight, the roads around that Residence Inn are mayhem at best...it isn't difficult, just well, you'll see....and you're used to driving in all kinds of crap!

Edited by megr1125

Thanks for the feedback. We will be arriving on a Saturday pm so hopefully the roads won't be too congested around the Marriott. We have stayed at a lot of Marriott's throughout the years and you are right some are much better than others. My top Marriott for superb customer service was the Singapore Marriott. Best upgrade was the Presidential suite at the Marriott in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I promise to come on this forum & post a review.

Thanks for the feedback. We will be arriving on a Saturday pm so hopefully the roads won't be too congested around the Marriott. We have stayed at a lot of Marriott's throughout the years and you are right some are much better than others. My top Marriott for superb customer service was the Singapore Marriott. Best upgrade was the Presidential suite at the Marriott in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I promise to come on this forum & post a review.

Cool!

I once had the presidential suite in Philly....I'd had a crap day, and mentioned that to the man at the desk.....he went clickety click and handed me keys...eh said that it was a nice room.

I realized that when I saw double, fancy doors that I was visited by the upgrade fairy. He later asked how I liked the room....I said, well, if that's all you have, I can rough it!! LOL..... I then said I was kidding, it was awesome...

Stamford is exactly 58 miles to the port since we live there and have done 11 cruises out of Cape Liberty. With traffic we have gotten to the port in anywhere from 1 hour and 5 minutes to 2 and half hours.

On another topic, I just found this about parking - call ParkWhiz:

http://www.parkwhiz.com/p/bayonne-parking/map/?location_id=&start_date=5%2F17%2F2015&start_time=10%3A30am&end_date=5%2F24%2F2015&end_time=10%3A00am

Anyone have any experience or info on it?

Thanks.

Stamford is exactly 58 miles to the port since we live there and have done 11 cruises out of Cape Liberty. With traffic we have gotten to the port in anywhere from 1 hour and 5 minutes to 2 and half hours.

On another topic, I just found this about parking - call ParkWhiz:

http://www.parkwhiz.com/p/bayonne-parking/map/?location_id=&start_date=5%2F17%2F2015&start_time=10%3A30am&end_date=5%2F24%2F2015&end_time=10%3A00am

Anyone have any experience or info on it?

Thanks.

People here have used them

As 138 said Caveat Emptor.

as I say..

NO.

Do NOT risk your car, OR you to save a buck. Until they are properly licensed and insured, take a pass....

The Henry Hudson toll is now $5. If you don't have EZ Pass, they will send you a bill in the mail. PAY IT! Otherwise they can hold up your auto renewal.

These directions will work. However the time I stayed in this area at Country Inns, coming off the turnpike I followed the signs to Jersey Gardens Blvd West. There is a traffic light at Kapowski Blvd where you make a left one block to Glimcher Realty Way where you make another left and the Courtyard is on your left. This seems a bit simpler to me. You can actually see the hotel complex when you get close to it, so it is obvious where you should be heading.

Perhaps Meg will comment. She has stayed in this area many times.

Thanks again for the expert directions! We had the GPS on but ignored its route, and shaved literally 50 minutes off our drive time from when it thought we'd arrive based on the GPS route.

You were correct about the directions once getting off 13a too. Much easier than what google maps spit out.

You rock, Carol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are flying in to Newark tomorrow and board Quantum on Sunday. We are staying at the Doubletree Newark Airport for one night. I know we will need to take a taxi or car service to the port on Sunday morning. If we want to be at the port at 10:45 AM, what time should we leave our hotel? Would we save money with a car service or would a taxi be about the same? If a car service would be better should we pre-book or just call Sunday morning? Any recommendations for car services for that trip from hotel to port? Thanks!

We are flying in to Newark tomorrow and board Quantum on Sunday. We are staying at the Doubletree Newark Airport for one night. I know we will need to take a taxi or car service to the port on Sunday morning. If we want to be at the port at 10:45 AM, what time should we leave our hotel? Would we save money with a car service or would a taxi be about the same? If a car service would be better should we pre-book or just call Sunday morning? Any recommendations for car services for that trip from hotel to port? Thanks!

You should leave about 10 am to allow for port traffic. I'd call to book something ahead of time. Call Doubletree to see what they can recommend. Try Dial7 and Carmellimo. Also call Independent driver - 888-816-0973 for a no frills service.

Thanks again for the expert directions! We had the GPS on but ignored its route, and shaved literally 50 minutes off our drive time from when it thought we'd arrive based on the GPS route.

You were correct about the directions once getting off 13a too. Much easier than what google maps spit out.

You rock, Carol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

I'm flying into Newark on a Thursday morning (7:30A arrival) in July and I want to get to the Times Square area. I will have one piece of rolling luggage and a small carry-on, which I have no problem lugging around. The friend who I'm meeting in Manhattan has suggested taking an Olympia bus for $28 that goes to Grand Central. I was planning to take NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station, but I don't know the best means to get from the airport to Newark Penn. Suggestions, please, on either of these options or other public transportation routing ideas.

You have a choice of train or airport bus from the airport. NJTransit stops at the Newark Airport station and costs $12.50 to go to NY Penn Station. You take the free Airtrain to get from your terminal to the airport train station.

The airport bus stops at each terminal and costs $16-17. This will take you to Port Authority where you can walk one avenue to Times Square. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s1=NJ&c2=New+York&s2=NY&resultId=105245&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=191312248009

At 8 am in a Thurs, train might be a better choice because it is not subject to any traffic delays going into NYC via the Lincoln tunnel. It is about a 10 block walk up to Times Square.

Train fare is only $5 from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station, but you have to take a local bus to do this. This could be more awkward at rush hour with luggage. If this is of interest I will look up the bus number.

My husband and I are sailing on the Liberty of the Seas in October. We are driving in from South Carolina the day before. We would like to do a Grayline tour of New York City and then spend the night somewhere near the port. I seem to remember we can park at Grayline for the tour. Any recommendations on a hotel and parking for the cruise? If anyone can suggest a good sleep/park/cruise that would be ideal. Thanks so much.

My husband and I are sailing on the Liberty of the Seas in October. We are driving in from South Carolina the day before. We would like to do a Grayline tour of New York City and then spend the night somewhere near the port. I seem to remember we can park at Grayline for the tour. Any recommendations on a hotel and parking for the cruise? If anyone can suggest a good sleep/park/cruise that would be ideal. Thanks so much.

For the park/sleep cruise look at Trinityreservations.com Should be $208 tax included for the room, parking, and round trip port transportation.

Don't know about Grayline and parking. It looks like they might offer a discounted parking rate.

You have a choice of train or airport bus from the airport. NJTransit stops at the Newark Airport station and costs $12.50 to go to NY Penn Station. You take the free Airtrain to get from your terminal to the airport train station.

The airport bus stops at each terminal and costs $16-17. This will take you to Port Authority where you can walk one avenue to Times Square. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s1=NJ&c2=New+York&s2=NY&resultId=105245&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=191312248009

At 8 am in a Thurs, train might be a better choice because it is not subject to any traffic delays going into NYC via the Lincoln tunnel. It is about a 10 block walk up to Times Square.

Train fare is only $5 from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station, but you have to take a local bus to do this. This could be more awkward at rush hour with luggage. If this is of interest I will look up the bus number.

Great info...I had no idea about the NJTransit option from the airport. Sounds fine and makes sense about time and day probably making it the better option. But, the shorter walk from the Port Authority is enticing, too. Thanks ever so much for providing such clear, detailed information.

As a previous poster said--"You rock, Carol!"

Hi Carol.

First of all thank you so much for your help. Just to clarify, the NJ Transit and the Newark Penn are 2 different different trains?

I need to get from Newark Airport to Manhatten. I'm dropping off my family at the hotel and then going to the airport to return the rental car. So I'll be by myself going back to Manhatten.

After a few days in Manhatten we'll be off to Cape liberty for the cruise on the Liberty!

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Hi Carol.

First of all thank you so much for your help. Just to clarify, the NJ Transit and the Newark Penn are 2 different different trains?

I need to get from Newark Airport to Manhatten. I'm dropping off my family at the hotel and then going to the airport to return the rental car. So I'll be by myself going back to Manhatten.

After a few days in Manhatten we'll be off to Cape liberty for the cruise on the Liberty!

Thanks for your help!

Rob

Newark has two train stations - Newark Liberty International Station and Newark Penn Station. The airport station is accessible only from the Airtrain from the airport terminals and rental cars. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/AirTrain-Map.pdf

There are two train services that run through these stations - Amtrak and NJ Transit. Amtrak is long distance service and NJ Transit is local service. The local service is $12.50/pp to NYC from the airport. Amtrak is in the $50 range.

Where is your hotel in NYC? That is important to know. The train will leave you at New York Penn Station around 32nd and 8th. The airport bus ($16-17) will drop you at Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd & 8th), Bryant Park (5th & 42nd) or Grand Central (41st between Park & lexington). So if your hotel is near one of the bus stops, you should consider the airport bus option.

If your hotel is downtown there are other options. Train from the airport to Newark Penn Station is $8.25. Bus 62 from the airport to Newark Penn Station is $2.35. From Newark Penn Station you can take PATH directly to downtown Manhattan or with a transfer to midtown Manhattan (34th & 6th) with stops along 6th Ave.

Bottom line - it depends where you're going and how much time and money you want to spend or don't want to spend.