Why not just answer the question?

travelmatron

Not for anything, but go look at the threads in question...I would hardly think that a poster who has been a CC member for 4 years and who has been on nearly 40 cruises hardly qualifies to be a "newbie".

There is nothing "wrong" with telling a person where they can find the information that they are asking for.

Not for anything, but go look at the threads in question...I would hardly think that a poster who has been a CC member for 4 years and who has been on nearly 40 cruises hardly qualifies to be a "newbie"

I wasn't referring to the threads in question - I haven't looked them up, nor do I care. I was speaking for myself, as an actual newbie. And I'm telling you how I feel, which is that yes, sometimes we really do just need a straight answer, after searching for hours.

That said, for every poster who might be less than patient, there are many more who freely give of their time and knowledge. To those people I am so very grateful!! A number of people here have answered my questions, and I really appreciate it. Thanks, everyone! :D

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer
clarification

Agree with the OP.

And yeah, maybe the answers are in FAQ's, or stickies, or anywhere else.

The point of the cruiscritic message boards is to create a community of like minded people to discuss all things cruise related. Even if it is something that's been answered 100 times, doesn't mean the 101st person to ask it is an idiot.

They say there's no such questions as a dumb question, but apparently around here it is.

Maybe someone finds it easier to simply ask a question, and come back an hour later and find some helpful cruiser gave you the exact answer you wanted, in a place you know where to find it, instead of having to ruffle through a bunch of other threads to find your specific answer.

If I want to know about tipping, maybe I don't feel like scrolling through cabin preferences, or favorite foods, or what time ships leave port on embarkation day.

In the spirit of these boards and this community, let's all try a bit harder to make it a place people feel comfortable to ask a question, and if it's something that's been asked already and you don't want to help, simply pass it by instead of kicking your fellow cruiser in his junk for making a simple inquiry.

**steps off the soap box***

Agree with this post.

I have spent many hours since 2010 searching on CC. Maybe I am not as computer savvy as some and I find the topic and search not as easy as some of you.

If you want to send me to these places, I am grateful for a place to start but when some of the answers are so old they don't apply, I am frustrated.

I am grateful for Cruise Critic and the info I have been given and what I have found just surfing around. BUT, I am retired and have that time.

If I was a parent with a job, kids, etc., I may not have time to research everything. Maybe a simple answer to the question along with a link to more info would be appropriate.

"off my soapbox"

Lynda

I don't know the questions you are referring to but I agree. If I know the answer I answer or I ignore the question. I don't think people want to everything done for them I believe this is how they are doing research and are just excited. As for the search. Well a lot of the time it is worthless and you get responses from 2007. Yep, that's what I got earlier today and never got a answer but didn't ask the question because I didn't want a rude response to go do a search. That being said I know I've asked a hundred questions that have already been asked and there have been a hundred people that have give polite helpful responses.

As a new cruiser back in 2013, I remember not wanting to post for fear of getting my hand slapped - "did you search? that question is asked all the time!" or "this is an old thread you are responding to; if you want a fresh answer you better start a new thread" or "why don't you just go the cruiseline website" or whatever. My initial impressions weren't so great of this cyber community. I hung out, realized it was a few folks and not representative of the larger population, and so I created an account.

I agree with Twokids0204...stop trying to "teach people to fish" on a forum that is purposely designed to be a Q&A forum for people. If you don't like the question, then just don't answer it.

One thing that the forums lack is a place to discuss the forum itself. Therefore, there's no good place to go to ask questions about how to do meaningful searches. (A whole lot of things forum related could be discussed.)

I just searched "cost of UDP." I'm sure the answer is in the results somewhere, but you have to read through a lot of posts to get there.

Asking is a time saver; you just find your post to get to the answer.

I agree with Twokids0204...stop trying to "teach people to fish" on a forum that is purposely designed to be a Q&A forum for people. If you don't like the question, then just don't answer it.

Discussion forum is very different from a Q&A site, this is definitely not the latter. If this was "designed to be a Q&A forum for people", then for example reviews or other non-question/answer posts would be a no-no.

This is a discussion forum and it does not generate discussion if people start new threads for extremely simple questions that they could very easily find answers to themselves with a simple internet (note, I'm not saying that the search function here would need to be used, I always search these forums with Google) search OR by at least skimming through the post at least on the first page of the message listing - for example there are more redundant UBP threads started since Dec 16 (when the first promo started) than I care to count, and new threads about gratuities on promo UBP have been started already on the rate of 1-3 a day within the last few days.

When people do that, the threads actually having meaningful discussions are flooded into oblivion by those totally unnecessary threads.

This is a discussion forum and it does not generate discussion if people start new threads for extremely simple questions that they could very easily find answers to themselves with a simple internet (note, I'm not saying that the search function here would need to be used, I always search these forums with Google) search OR by at least skimming through the post at least on the first page of the message listing - for example there are more redundant UBP threads started since Dec 16 (when the first promo started) than I care to count, and new threads about gratuities on promo UBP have been started already on the rate of 1-3 a day within the last few days.

You're trying to herd cats, though. It's a losing battle, so why fight it? Give one quick answer and then the thread disappears. If you respond with the search button, you've just made the next person searching for the answer read extra posts in search of the answer.

I actually saw a question once (although it might have been elsewhere) where a person had booked a cruise and then asked if anyone knew where their ship was going? Sometimes it's good to direct somebody to the NCL site. It's downright amazing how much info is there, like where you are going on your cruise. Quite often people find the answers to questions they didn't even think to ask.

Edited by LrgPizza

could not agree more have been wanting to post this same comment many times. Personally, I don't find that the search function on here finds all the info I am looking for. Maybe you should do a search and you can find the reason that people post replies like that!!!!!

I think anyone who has been around this site for any amount of time realizes that the search function is less than stellar. I think it's not helpful to tell people to use that feature.

I don't think there is anything wrong with posting a link for newbies to information that is easy to find on the NCL website. It shows them where they can find similar information on other subjects since they most likely will have more questions and it satisfies providing them with an answer to their question.

There are many, many helpful posters here who enjoy helping other people and enjoy discussing NCL cruising and cruising in general. It's a nice community. Now, having said that I think if people want to be a part of that community then they should make a reasonable effort to look up readily available information on NCL.com and at least glance through the first page of threads.

Just my opinion which I have been told on occasion, is wrong. ;)

Edited by ColinIllinois

I agree with you on this; I ask myself this all of the time! IMO the search function isn't very helpful and quite often the information is old. Also, the NCL web site isn't great either. There may be someone on CC that knows; this is a blog after all that is about having conversations.

There are no wrong/bad questions even though some here choose to reprimand (that is how it comes across) those that do ask them; very inconsiderate at times.

I agree, please move on if you have the inkling to reprimand. :)

Happy and safe cruising all!!:D

Couldn't agree with you more. I consider myself pretty computer literate but the search function and interface on CC isn't the most user friendly. I sometimes cringe with the answers that are given to some of the questions. I want someone who comes to the boards (especially for the first time) to feel welcomed. I get a lot of enjoyment in reading the many posts and reviews. Once these newbies get hooked, they will then become a part of the community and provide many more years of reading pleasure for the rest of us. ;)

Quote: I think anyone who has been around this site for any amount of time realizes that the search function is less than stellar. I think it's not helpful to tell people to use that feature

I would be one of these people.

That is the last thing I would say to someone.

I would rather try to find the answer and post it for them.

I always use the search function first, but also know the function is not stellar. ;)

Sometimes you can find an answer just by using google.

Edited by janetz

I also agree that the search function can be unhelpful at times as some info can be indeed outdated. For example, before my NYE Epic cruise, I was wondering if they were gonna do the batting cage (known as 'batting practice' on the Freestyle Daily) as they had that the first time I was on Epic back in early 2013. I used the search function and found 2 different Freestyle Dailies (one from 2013 and one from 2014). The one from 2013 had batting practice while 2014 one didn't (tho it seemed like I didn't catch it at the time as my cruise did have batting practice!). I am glad I ran a search tho it prolly would have been easier to just ask recent folks who were on Epic at the time but some of you can be really rude about it.

For those who like to echo "use search function," I think majority of the questions on the first couple pages can be answered via search, NCL site, google and etc. Does that mean there should never be a discussion?

Edited by GoAndHaveFun

Google is great. Just by typing in the Breakaway and our cabin number I found a video of our aft cabin. ;)

LUCKY! I have noticed if you are searching for a suite or Haven room, you have a good chance of finding a youtube video of your exact room. For mini-suites or a balcony, I have to settle for a video of some other mini suite or balcony on a different floor.

I have 16 cruises to date. I just invited a "new" friend to cruise with me and she is excited beyond words. I told her everything I could think of, answered her questions and then gave her the cruise critic and ncl websites for further information.

I would hope everyone here would make her feel welcome. I would hate to dampen someone's excitement like that.

Everyone here remember their first cruise?

I have 16 cruises to date. I just invited a "new" friend to cruise with me and she is excited beyond words. I told her everything I could think of, answered her questions and then gave her the cruise critic and ncl websites for further information.

I would hope everyone here would make her feel welcome. I would hate to dampen someone's excitement like that.

Absolutely. I researched the heck out of my cruise ship all by my little lonesome, since I had no Cruise Critic at that time to do it for me.

LUCKY! I have noticed if you are searching for a suite or Haven room, you have a good chance of finding a youtube video of your exact room. For mini-suites or a balcony, I have to settle for a video of some other mini suite or balcony on a different floor.

Actually, it is an aft cabin. Not Haven or suite. :) I guess I was lucky

Just send here to the new to cruising page on NCL, I am sure it has everything she needs to know.

http://www.ncl.com/new-to-cruising/overview

:D

I am joking by the way

Absolutely. I researched the heck out of my cruise ship all by my little lonesome, since I had no Cruise Critic at that time to do it for me.

wow. just wow. Why are you here? What benefit do you get by making someone else feel like "less" with these kinds of snide remarks?

Don't you wish you had had a helpful place like this?

"Kids these days don't know what it's like to have to look up a phone number in a book!" No. They don't. I'm so happy for them!!!!

I come at this from a professional perspective, 30 years manning the reference desk at a public library.:)

The search function here is not the best, and unexperienced searches will waste time with ineffective searches. Some people will not be computer savvy enough to make any progress on their own. For the last several years as a librarian, I had many people preface their question with "I just spent the last hour on google". This is what keeps libraries relevant. Time is valuable to everyone, so if you don't know what the answer is or can't give a link to current information, don't waste your time answering & don't make the asker waste their time either.