Might RCI go to Antarctica?

DH and I are planning a trip to Antarctica within the next couple of years. We can't go on a research ship or any of the smaller ships - wayyy too expensive for us! But the major cruise lines are within reach. I have been researching and I know that HAL and Celebrity have a few trips that go around the horn with a deke over to Antarctica and I'm wondering if RCI ever has? We have cruised RCI in Australia/New Zealand, Princess to Alaska, and NCL on the Med and I'd like to take advantage of a future cruise certificate to go to Antarctica.

Edited by chris_kelowna

I would say that it is highly improbable that they would offer this. They did an around the horn years ago but not sure if it stooped at Antartica.

Royal is marketing themselves more and mor to families and first time cruisers with the ships being the destination and not so much the ports themselves. They are leaving the destination markets to their sister brands Celebrity and Azamara.

Rhapsody is going around the horn in early 2016 on 4 sailings, but you would want to consult Celebrity for a stop at Antarctica on Infinity.

Rhapsody should go back to South America in 2017 as well but deployment for this period is not yet released.

... you would want to consult Celebrity for a stop at Antarctica on Infinity...
Unless I am quite mistaken, Celebrity no more stops at Antarctica than it stops at Cuba. It does "drive-bys" of both, but that does not equal a stop in my book. I have stopped at a number of Antarctic islands as well as the mainland of Antarctica, and such trips are considerably more expensive than drive-bys.

The size of the ship and the fuel it uses are the restrictions for stops in Antarctica. My DH took his trip on a ship which held 200 people. RCI doesn't have a ship that size. Crystal Cruises dock at a port whereby the passengers take an airplane to land on a part of Antarctica. I suggest you google "ships that go to Antarctica". The trips are only December, January and February.

Sheila

Unless I am quite mistaken, Celebrity no more stops at Antarctica than it stops at Cuba. It does "drive-bys" of both, but that does not equal a stop in my book. I have stopped at a number of Antarctic islands as well as the mainland of Antarctica, and such trips are considerably more expensive than drive-bys.

I have only done one 64 day around South America sailing myself and am not the type to have an interest in Antarctica. Once around the Cape was more than enough for me.

I just had noticed that Celebrity says they 'stop' at Paradise Bay, Antarctica on one sailing one day each February from 2pm to 4 pm.

I have very little knowledge of the expedition lines and their offerings, if that is what the OP was looking for.

...I just had noticed that Celebrity says they 'stop' at Paradise Bay, Antarctica on one sailing one day each February from 2pm to 4 pm...
Itineraries shown on Celebrity's website for both Feb 2015 http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-IN14F056?packageid=IN14F056&dest=SAMER&shipCode=IN&shipName=Celebrity-Infinity and Feb 2016 http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-IN14F065?packageid=IN14F065&dest=SAMER&shipCode=IN&shipName=Celebrity-Infinity have Infinity cruising Paradise Bay (as well as Schollart Channel, Gerlache Straight [which they have misplaced from Antarctica to South America] and Elephant Island) - not the same as stopping.

Itineraries shown on Celebrity's website for both Feb 2015 http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-IN14F056?packageid=IN14F056&dest=SAMER&shipCode=IN&shipName=Celebrity-Infinity and Feb 2016 http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-IN14F065?packageid=IN14F065&dest=SAMER&shipCode=IN&shipName=Celebrity-Infinity have Infinity cruising Paradise Bay (as well as Schollart Channel, Gerlache Straight [which they have misplaced from Antarctica to South America] and Elephant Island) - not the same as stopping.

Thanks for your clarification. I am sure the OP appreciates that.

We were on Mariner in 2011 for a Cape Horn cruise from Chile to Brazil. What fun we had on this very different cruise. The strait of Magellan was outstanding! When we visited Ushuaia, Argentina, it seemed to be a break away port to head for the Antarctica. Several smaller ships appeared to be 'Antarctica ready'. That's a great reference point before heading south to Antarctica.

R&D

Since you can no longer stop at Antarctica, why do they call these "Antarctica" sailings. Some people may be very disappointed if they don't do their research. Antarctica is on my bucket list but have to save my pennies as the trip will cost $15,000 give or take...:eek:

We did this sailing last year and it was wonderful even though the ship doesn't stop. We spent an afternoon in Paradise Bay with the captain slowly rotating the ship around. The weather can be quite severe and we almost didn't make it to Antarctica at all. When we were in Elephant Bay, the weather deteriated with snow and low-hanging clouds and high winds. It does seem strange seeing the decks all covered with snow. The scenery and wildlife we saw was spectacular. I would have no qualms about doing this itinerary again.

Garry

I was on an Antarctic cruise with HAL last year. It is scenic sailing, similar to what the Alaskan cruises do. You are very close to the continent, for several days. HAL has 3 Antarctic experts on board who give excellent talks. It was the best cruise I've ever had.

I live in a place where I can walk on snow and ice. I don't need to pay 30-50K to do that in Antarctica. I paid a small fraction of that for my HAL cruise. We saw wildlife close up from our ship and on land in other ports.

Cruisecritic has an Antarctica board. I would recommend that the OP do some research there. Look under ports of call.

Thank you all for your responses. I'm especially encouraged by boulders response. I am an out of shape older woman with bad knees and feet and limited resources. I am no stranger to cold, snow, and ice, don't necessarily have to walk on it. I think it would be wonderful to see the wildlife.. Going to Antarctica is a dream and it looks attainable. Thanks again for the info!

Thank you all for your responses. I'm especially encouraged by boulders response. I am an out of shape older woman with bad knees and feet and limited resources. I am no stranger to cold, snow, and ice, don't necessarily have to walk on it. I think it would be wonderful to see the wildlife.. Going to Antarctica is a dream and it looks attainable. Thanks again for the info!

Re: the bolded - Me too!/Moi aussi! :D There were lots of Canadians on my cruise. I plan to do the same cruise again.

We did Celebrity Xpedition in the Galapagos in 2009 and Hurtigruten Fram to Antarctica in 2010. Both were pricey and we loved both of them, BUT they both required to ability to get into and out of Zodiacs several times a day if you wanted full benefit of the trip. Both trips had passengers who had difficulty with the Zodiacs - they had paid a LOT of money and certainly did not get full benefit.

Chris: it sounds like you are zeroing in on the trip that is appropriate for you.

ENJOY

Thom

Boulders, is it possible for you to post the name of the trip you took on HAL - it sounds like something I would love to do as well.

This thread is full of great information - thank you to everyone!

Its OK, Moved to computer instead of ipad and found 3 south America/anarctic cruises.