Bottle warmer?

ChelleyP

2 week NCL Jade for us this Spring.

Baby is weaned down to 3 half bottles per day so no more screaming for milk in the night.

To pack the bottle warmer or just use the hot water in the coffee/tea fountain at the buffet to mix with the powder? What do you think, parents?

No big whoop to take it just in case, but would like to minimize "schleppage" where possible!

Edited by ChelleyP

DS drinks breast milk rather than formula, but I don't think it would change heating of bottles? We ran water through our in room coffee maker to heat it, then set the bottle in a cup of hot water until it was warm. Could also get the hot water from buffet, restaurant, etc. depending on where you were when you wanted the bottle. DS only had a few bottles and it was when his grandparents were watching him in our room.

2 week NCL Jade for us this Spring.

Baby is weaned down to 3 half bottles per day so no more screaming for milk in the night.

To pack the bottle warmer or just use the hot water in the coffee/tea fountain at the buffet to mix with the powder? What do you think, parents?

No big whoop to take it just in case, but would like to minimize "schleppage" where possible!

Leave the warmer at home. Try weaning baby on to room temperature bottles. That's what we did - much more flexibility

I agree...get them used to room temp. Also, the hot water in the bathroom gets HOT...you can immerse the bottle in the sink!

I've found water from coffee makers tastes AWFUL...

I wouldn't use the water from the coffee maker to mix up the formula, just as an easy way to get hot water to put the bottle into to heat.

Leave the warmer at home. Try weaning baby on to room temperature bottles. That's what we did - much more flexibility

Thanks for all the replies! I am now convinced not to bring the warmer.

For those who mentioned room temp milk- baby drinks it that way when we use the ready-made stuff in the travel size bottles (she's never been fussed about having it warm), but you are supposed to use hot water for mixing the powder to kill bacteria. ;)

I have never heard such a thing and I am a mother of multiples... I have only ever used bottled water for formula supplemented for all of my children even though I breastfed. I made sure they were okay with room temp formula from day one. And during summer hot months I chilled the water a bit so they had some way to cool off during the heat. Just bring a few bottled water in the 16 ounce bottles and mix it that way.

I bottle fed my 5 kids, warm water and powdered formula, water straight from the tap. I've never heard about warm/hot water needed to kill bacteria (because it wouldn't). My youngest are 12, so not that long ago. I don't know why anyone would heat up water in the coffee maker instead of just using tap water in the temperature you want it. When my kids were babies, I did try to get the bottle temperature as close to room temperature as possible, to make life easier.

I think moms on different sides of the Atlantic get different advice. I remember reading from other posters from Britain that they also sterilize bottles/nipples, etc. much longer than we do (though as a mom of twins, my girls weren't ever going to get sterilized, heated bottles!).

Best,

Mia

This is beginning to look like a mumsnet forum. :p

I'm American but live in the UK (for many years now). The packages of powder mix and the health service here tells you to use hot water with formula powder to kill bacteria. Can't comment on what the system is in the US!

By the way- regardless of the above- there is no need for bottled water because the tap water on ships is always very clean and safe.

We will use the hot water from the coffee/tea thingy in the buffet.

This is beginning to look like a mumsnet forum. :p

I'm American but live in the UK (for many years now). The packages of powder mix and the health service here tells you to use hot water with formula powder to kill bacteria. Can't comment on what the system is in the US!

By the way- regardless of the above- there is no need for bottled water because the tap water on ships is always very clean and safe.

We will use the hot water from the coffee/tea thingy in the buffet.

Ah, this makes sense! All of our pediatricians have said there is no need to ever sterilize, and it's fine to mix powdered formula with any temperature water.

There are coffee pots in the room? I've been on 6 cruises on 3 different lines and have never noticed this.

All of the NCL ships I have been on had them. I honestly don't remember if Princess or RCL had them because I don't drink coffee so I don't pay attention :)

Thanks for all the replies! I am now convinced not to bring the warmer.

For those who mentioned room temp milk- baby drinks it that way when we use the ready-made stuff in the travel size bottles (she's never been fussed about having it warm), but you are supposed to use hot water for mixing the powder to kill bacteria. ;)

I can't see the logic behind using hot water. The milk powder shouldn't have any bacteria - what company would be allowed to sell food for babies that was not safe for consumption?

In any case, hot water would not kill the bacteria. You'd need boiling water.

Any child that sits or crawls is likely to encounter far more bacteria than would allegedly be in the milk.

I don't know about any cultural difference between the USA and the UK concerning sterilising bottles and teats/nipples. My granddaughters in the UK were brestfed, but any supplementary feeds were given at room temperature, from bottles and teats that were washed in hot, soapy water, like any other food implements. Ordinary cleanliness was sufficient.

Edited by celle

I've never heard of needing hot water to eliminate bacteria in formula either--doesn't make sense to me. It would have to be boiling, not just hot, and even then I'm not sure it would help.

Many moons ago (ok, late 60's), my otherwise very old world doctor told me that I could heat bottles if I wanted, but that it was really for the mother's benefit (psychologically makes Mom feel good), but that babies don't care. So both of mine had formula mixed with room temp water or straight from the fridge. They got along just fine, although the grandmas were horrified that I didn't warm the milk.

At that time we were told to sterilize bottles and nipples; now, not usually unless there is some other problem.

If your baby is used to warm milk, try gradually going cooler until they are used to unheated milk. Of course, if there is some health reason (that makes sense) for the heated water, that's different.