Navigator Review - 1FEB15 Jamaica - Cayman - Cozumel

Deptacon

Here is my review of our recent Navigator of the Seas Cruise out of Galveston Texas that sailed Sunday 1 FEB 2015 to Jamaica, Cayman, and Cozumel.

This was our 3rd RCCL cruise.

We booked this cruise last minute, 1 week out, and booked a Interior Promenade View room. Last minute booking does have GREAT deals: total for 2 passengers with taxes and prep-paid gratuities (186 alone) for a 7 day" less than $1000.

First Time out of Galveston. Parked at Galveston Park N Cruise for $64.00 for the week. Across the street from the terminal so no shuttle required. I would recommend dropping the wife and bags at the terminal first, then parking and walking over...its a bit far for a bag drag. Dobable, but annoying.

Embarkation and Security was SMOOTH. Smoother than what I have experienced at Port Canaveral. Port C could learn an thing or 2 from Port G.

The Cruise:

The Rooms were ready when we boarded (approx 1pm). The Promenade view room was nice. I had never had an interior room before, only balconies. While the room was not as long as a balcony room, the room felt spacious due to the window and its added bench. I would totally book one of these again, especially on a pricier cruise to save a few bucks (like an Oasis class, etc). Did miss the balcony though and found myself itching to get out of the room to go look at the ocean....but for the price...can’t complain.

Booked MTD as our last cruise. Honestly, I don't see why anyone wouldn't. You pay gratuities anyways as they add them to your card daily (unless your cheap and actually have them removed...yes, I called you cheap) and you pick your dinner time (or walk up whenever you want) and you can get a nice table for 2...in and out of dinner in less than 1 hour each night. NO BRAINER. I am over the table for 6-8 where dinner takes 2 hours and they sit us with other people that we have zero in common with.

We skipped MDR the first night since it was MOJO and that menu is pretty weak (we think). Go to the matre'D when you get on the boat, he will tell you the order of the menu's each night. They are different slightly than the ones on the RCCL website. we had them printed for the cruise but they are also on the digital dinner screen in from the MDR too :)

When we found out MOJO was on the menu we decide to try a specialty restaurant for the first time. We like Mexican and heard all the good things about Sabor so we tried it. No problem getting a reservation on Day 1 approx 3 hours before dinnertime. 6pm seating. FOOD WAS AMAZING. WORTH the 20 bucks per person easy. Highly recommend. Some people rave about the 12 dollar margarita's....they were good, used topshelf teq and fresh juice, but my local Mexican place does the same for 8 bucks. They are great but I wouldn't say mind blowing.

That was the only specialty we had the whole trip. We almost tried Izumi but elected not to. We are pretty content with the windjammer or MDR...or the money we spend on food at stops. I will say I find the MDR food to be OK at best compared to expectations. The only steak on the menu, all week, is the cheap Manhattan strip which honestly you could get at Golden Corral.... After 3 nights in the MDR, it started to seem tired, the same, and not much variety. I never sent a plate back, was never not satisfied with my meal....But it never blew me away either.

I heard a rumor you can eat a Ginvoini's and order steaks and such off the Chops Menu....unconfirmed, but I heard this from others on the ship.

IMG_5889_zpsqd5x0ajy.jpg

IMG_5895_zpsbqr5obkg.jpg

IMG_5894_zps7erkn4h2.jpg

Day 2 and 3 at Sea. Both days were windy (its Winter in the Gulf) Day 2 had pretty much no one at the pool so the ship was busy inside. I was disappointed in the Cruise Director (for the first time) on Day 2 here. So, the weather calls for high winds and clouds...no one will use the pools....you make no effort to add extra events to the compass for Day 2. You know the weather the day before. You should have seen everyone trying to take part in the 1 trivia event during the day. Cruise Director Fail #1. Day 3 was a bit better and warmer so pool time and hot tub time.

Both Day 2 and Day 3 had guest performers. Stand-up Adult comedian on Day 2 and James Stephens III Impressionist/comedian on Day 3. Both were awesome and exceptional. Well done RCCL and Cruise Director. We went to the Cosmo Club 1 night and enjoyed the late night dancing. Found the evenings to be lively on the this cruise, lots of cruisers taking part in late night dancing….and drinks which is our kind of crowd.

Day 4 - Jamaica - Still Windy and the CPT elected not to dock in Falmouth due the strong winds and instead took us to Montego Bay. Honestly, Jamaica is 1 giant tourist trap but at least Montego Bay has a some culture and flare....RCCL built Falmouth and is literally a manufactured tourist trap. We had nothing booked or planned so we enjoyed MoBay. Took a $5 cab to hip strip, bought 1 dollar beers in 20 different shops J, and said no to a lot of vendors (but we did buy some stuff), to include the 20 some people who tried to sell me pot. We ate at BIGGS on hip strip, got the 24.99 2 meat 4 side combo. AMAZING, perfect plate for 2 people. Best port food we had the whole trip. Very good pork and chicken and his sides were all homemade. Met Mr. Bigg as well (owner and cook). Drinks were reasonable as well. Amazing view from their patio. Don’t waste your time at the overpriced Margaretville, go see Mr BIGG. Look, so many people refused to leave the port terminal in MoBay because the Jamicanian’s are “pushy” or its “scray”. Grow up and get out of your shell. The island thrives off of tourist and mostly everyone respects the tourists. Look like someone scared, out of placed, and afraid of being robbed…..well then, you might get robbed. Just be mindful of your surroundings and where you go and what vehicles you get in. They just want your business. Work out a price UP front before you TOUCH, TAKE, OR get in anything…..and say no, clearly, if not interested.

We got back to ship with at least 2 hours to spare so we hit the pool deck. We enjoy spirits and drinks and started pretty heavy on the hip strip and then spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool :). Dinner in MDR, and then the Ice Show and then honestly I don’t recall the rest of the night….too many red stripes and maragrita’s and Jamaican Sun…so a successful day. Get your Ice Show Tickets on embarkation day. Time and location is in the compass when you board.

BIGGS BBQ on the Water in MoBay (Hip Strip)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147311-d5028276-Reviews-Biggs_BBQ_Restaurant_Bar-Montego_Bay_Saint_James_Parish_Jamaica.html

IMG_5918_zps6macohot.jpg

IMG_5925_zpsm316xoyd.jpg

IMG_5926_zpsuliedvmm.jpg

IMG_5932_zps5mvfd5jz.jpg

Day 5: Cayman – Amazing weather for Cayman no winds and 86 degree’s with sun. When we pulled into port at 0700 1 other ship was there and then Freedom of the Seas pulled alongside. Within 3 more hours…. 7 Ships in Port, it was busy. Wife and I are Divers so we booked a dive (always independently, never through the cruise) and booked with Cayman Turtle Divers. We will use them again, they were awesome. We used Diver Down last time but they are AT THE PORT and do the port diving…so, Cattle boats. They cater to volume, so not interested. These guys were a lot of fun, go with Cayman Turtle Divers. They picked us up outside the port and took us to the boat at the far side of 7 mile beach. Great ride around the island. Diving was amazing (Cayman always is) and did see some baby turtles. They had us back at the port by 12:30. Dive Master suggested the patio at Rackam’s by the port for good food and drinks. It was reasonably priced (for Cayman, food costs a fortune in Cayman) and the beer selection was great. The Fish Sandwich was great. Also suggest the Ironshore Boch Beer. We walked around did some shopping (Found a store passed the Harley Store that actually had nice quality shirts) and then got back on the ship. There was a que…we wait approx. 20 mins to get on a tender but it was to be expected, 7 ships in port. Just be at the port / tender point by the last tender time and you wont be left behind.

Cayman is great place to rent scotters/taxi/do your own thing in the carribean. Don’t be afraid to wander out. In Cayman. Great resturants all over the island, you are just going to pay for it.

Back on the ship at three we did another afternoon at the pool for swimming, sun and drinks. Great band/dancing on the pool deck. Weather was perfect. MDR for dinner but we skipped the show, no interest in the Texas Tenors show. After and early morning dives, drinks on the water, drinks at the pool and sun, and then MDR….wife and I went to the pool Deck, grabbed 2 chairs, and watched the movie on the jumbo screen while I enjoyed a cigar.

That night we had some of the roughest seas I ever felt on a cruise ship. I know some water was splashing up close to the Deck 4 outside Deck. I thought we might not dock in Coz the next morning but we did.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147366-d1046122-Reviews-Rackam_s_Waterfront_Bar_and_Restaurant-George_Town_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

http://www.caymanturtledivers.com/index

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147367-d1886457-Reviews-Cayman_Turtle_Divers-Seven_Mile_Beach_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

IMG_5961_zpsimvwsy2a.jpg

IMG_5956_zpskq2yadf1.jpg

IMG_5950_zps4hfs9ump.jpg

10985604_10102735783494811_4440310787094226362_n_zpsefw5syiv.jpg

Edited by Deptacon

Day 6 – Cozumel – We love Cozumel. We like to drink, bar hop, and try local food so it’s a good place for us. We had another dive booked through Chucho-Underwater but due to the weather and winds, we couldn’t go out. Jessica, who works for Chucho, took care of our refund promptly and gaveus a ride back to the port. She also suggested some places to eat and drink in Coz….to include these AMAZING tacos off the back of a truck. They were awesome….who gets Tacos off the back of a truck in Mexico!? We did, they were awesome, and $1, and we will totally go back again.

We tossed our dive gear back on the ship, changed out of suits for diving then went back out. There is a small store in the port that sells $1 beers from a fridge. He has a sign that says almost free beer. Each time I walked by I bought 2…..Its now 11 AM and I am on #6 J. Walked out the gate and grabbed the tacos’ I mentioned aboved then hopped in a cab with friends from the boat. Cabs are flat rate regulated in Coz. Confirm price before getting in. Should be a flat rate for up to 4 people. Downtown from the port is $8.00. Just have them take you to the Forum Shops then walk the strip south towards the ships. We usually walk a mile or 2 until we get sick of walking and the shops thin out then hop a cab back. That entire strip has $1 beers or 2 for $3 beers in almost every store. We hit up some shops along the way. Don’t forget to hit the side streets and head in a few blocks. Its all safe and no issues. Lots of good food. We ate lunch 3 or 4 times that afternoon. Tacos here, nachos there, maragrita’s and fajit’as there. If you look around you can easily find places with $1-4 food that is really good. Made it back to the ship, stumbling slightly, about an hour before all aboard. We did some last minute shopping in the port area, got 1 last $1 beer, then got on the ship. This was the last formal night but we were so exshausted from the day we sat at the pool and hot tub until about 730 then showered up and ate at the windjammer. Proceed to bed a little early today, the bar hopping took its tool.

Few places we stopped:

Sea Senor – This place is brand new AWESOME food and great view upstairs. TRY IT

2 Margarita’s and a full plate of Nacho’s with steak on it: $9.62 with tax

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d7387249-Reviews-Sea_Senor-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Thirsty Cougar – Pricier drinks but very good drinks. Food was higher too but not unreasonable. More touristy but right there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g150809-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#MAPVIEW

Don’t be afraid to just walk in and try someone place no matter how small. If it smells good, it probably is.

IMG_5993_zpsyrykfuk8.jpg

IMG_5965_zpshvicv2hv.jpg

IMG_5966_zpsxh5qmrg8.jpg

IMG_5972_zpsf2nrfcjj.jpg

IMG_5977_zpsjt9snaed.jpg

Day 7 = At Sea

Slept-in, early lunch, hot tub pool time (even though it got cooler heading north) then we found a sunny sport on the port side of the ship on deck 4 and read for a while. Did some more walking around, made our away through the Promenade Circus (more on that in a minute), bought a picture from the studio, then packed. MDR one last time and the broadway show. I had 1 last cigar on deck 4 listenin to the water then we headed to bed….12 hour drive the next day.

The Good – The 2 comedy shows on Day 2 and Day 3. Exceptional .RCCL did a good job bringing those guest entertainers aboard.

Sabor was amazing but frankly it better be since I pay extra for it.

MDR Staff was amazing. Excellent job. Melwyn and Ernesto took care of us.

The food in the MDR was just OK. Not bad, not great. It got old after a few nights and didn’t taste like anything to talk about. Never sent anything back as it again, it wasn’t bad, but frankly, RCCL makes money on the specialty restaurants and that gets their attention. I honestly believe they let the MDR slip on purpose to get you to spend money in the specialties. I cant wait for Dynamic Dining as at this rate, the food can only get better. I had better food on my Carnival cruise….an actual steak instead of a cheap Manhattan Strip I could get at Golden Corral.

The Bad

On spending money. First we had a great cruise and I got an amazing deal last minute. We enjoyed our cruise. But the up-selling…..has got to stop. Examples: Day 7, 84 “activities” in the cruise compass. At least 34 of them are upsells (Spa, watch “sale”, etc). The Day 7 Promenade….RCCL you should be embarrassed, its like a Carnival cruise or an cheap amusement park tables and tables of crap, just piles of “Discount T-Shirts 2 for 20” (the same ones were 6 for 20 on the Cozumel the day before), stupid trinket light up RCCL drink glasses (a whole table of them, right in front of Vintages….classy), and then the “Clearance sale”. How stupid do you think I am? The ship sets sail every 7 days with new people on board, there is no such thing as a clearance sale. Seminar this Seminar that that is nothing but up-selling services. Port maps which are nothing but shopping advertisements from Diamonds International and the other “paid” sponsors. We got approached, at our table in the MDR, TWICE, to see if we want make reservations at a specialty restaurant. If I did, I would walk up or call and make them. Jewelry stand here (and the crap boxed jewelry sold on the promenade for 39.99…its made in China for like 2 dollars). Its like the Compass and activities on the ship are only pay to play now…. You have to dig to find the ONE trivia event during the day, or the ONE game going on somewhere (bean bag toss). The new Menu on the TV system, I like it, I can see my bill daily….It also has a message feature. 20 messages a day for buy this, shop here, buy that. And OMG the Art Shows and the Watch Sales….. the entire promenade is nothing but stores, half of them with some nice stuff, other half with cheap stuff. Oh, and 2 bars, and the place you get free sandwiches. THAT’S ITS, that’s the PROMENADE when you think about it.

The icing on the cake for this up-selling problem was just before the final show on the final night. I had to sit through a 5 minute cheesy video of them trying to sell me the cruise DVD…..but the commentary was like a RCCL cruise sales pitch….so basically your trying to sell my cruise I just took back to be again. Right before a musical show….so cheesy….so classless. Grown Up RCCL.

Again, I am tired of be upsold….leave me alone. I don't mind it from Locals of Jamaican's.....but when RCCL does it, it drives me crazy. When I want something I WILL buy it. I am a customer…..stop treating me like a tool towards the quarterly profit report.

We are sailing in April and our itinerary is supposed to arrive in Cayman at 7am also. Do you know about what time they started the tendering process? We are doing our own thing as we have been there before, but I wasn't sure when we might be able to leave the ship. Thanks!

Awesome! Thank you. We have been wondering. Cayman is our favorite so I want to spend as much time there as possible. So what did you do for breakfast before you went? Is it easier to do some room service or is the main dining room or the Windjammer open before 7am?

Awesome! Thank you. We have been wondering. Cayman is our favorite so I want to spend as much time there as possible. So what did you do for breakfast before you went? Is it easier to do some room service or is the main dining room or the Windjammer open before 7am?

We were 2 decks up from the promenade so i just went down and grabbed a few croissants, fruit, pastries from the cafe.... We only went to breakfast twice. I usually got some early snacks... Or we slept in till about linch anyway :)

We were on the Navigator back in January. I agree with you on the up-selling and the MDR food. However the selling didn't bother me as much. What you say is true, but I said no thanks and kept on going.

I will admit watching some of the sales on the promenade was some of the best entertainment on the ship. The best was a watch sale, I sat and drank a beer as a pack of people swarmed the sales desk. People were pushing and shoving each other for a cheap watch. Truly comical.

We were on the Navigator back in January. I agree with you on the up-selling and the MDR food. However the selling didn't bother me as much. What you say is true, but I said no thanks and kept on going.

I will admit watching some of the sales on the promenade was some of the best entertainment on the ship. The best was a watch sale, I sat and drank a beer as a pack of people swarmed the sales desk. People were pushing and shoving each other for a cheap watch. Truly comical.

Yeah it wasnt a big deal, it didnt ruin my cruise.... Its just getting annoying. It happened enough that it stuck jn my mind... And the DVD incident.... I bout came unglued then

We were on the sailing the week before you went and we are not the sit-around-the-pool type of cruisers. We have always loved all the activities on sea days (the games and trivia) but that was something that we noticed, too. Besides the 10AM, 4PM and 7PM Trivia, there was maybe one other "game" during the day. Everything else was a "seminar" to sell you a spa treatment or wrinkle-filler procedure....yeah, like I'm going to have some random doctor on a cruise ship do that to me :eek:

I have no problem avoiding the "constant selling" of crap on the promenade, we just stay clear of the promenade.

But, we booked about 10 days before sailing and got a wonderful deal also so felt it was still a good cruise for money spent. :)