Pros and cons of Alaska cruise is mid September anyone?

bjarrett7

Thanks to everyone!! I finally pulled the trigger when I got an offer I couldn't refuse... An SZ guarantee on Westy out of Seattle... With $400 onboard credit, wine package and soda card for LESS than a regular balcony cabin heading out of Vancouver. The inside passage will just have to wait. :-) I hope I made the right choice!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congratulations on booking your cruise. I'm sure you'll have a great time and this gives you the opportunity to return to Alaska, leaving from Vancouver, in the future.

Now, have fun anticipating and planning!

Debbie

:)Been to Alaska twice in September. Loved it. Once we had a little drizzle in one of the ports, not real rain.

If we go again it will be in September for all the reasons outlined above by Silvertogold.

Why fight the summer crowds? That's crazy.

R.P.

Prescott, Az.

Thanks to everyone!! I finally pulled the trigger when I got an offer I couldn't refuse... An SZ guarantee on Westy out of Seattle... With $400 onboard credit, wine package and soda card for LESS than a regular balcony cabin heading out of Vancouver. The inside passage will just have to wait. :-) I hope I made the right choice!!

That itinerary gets you to Sitka, right? Sitka is worth the price of admission IMHO :D

It does! Would you care to make suggestions on how to spend my day?? 😃

That really REALLY depends on what you like to do. Have a look at the Alaska forum, using the Search feature for Sitka.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I've done the Sea Otter excursion twice, and spent time just wandering the town other times. EVERY time, though, the end of my day in Sitka has involved RUNNING SCREAMING for the last tender :eek: So I'm probably not the person you want to emulate :D

DH wants to do the Sea Otter excursion on our next trip so we are taking the early one (something like 7:30 am or something -- stinking early) so that we will have some time to go to the church and hopefully time to get to the park. I think one of those will be missed though. Am seriously going to try to not make a spectacle of myself catching the tender this time!

The last time I did the Sea Otter excursion it was mid-September. The feeding conditions were perfect for the humpbacks according to the naturalist on the excursion. We saw MANY humpbacks, very close and very far. It was eerie, to be honest, the number of humpbacks that were in the area.

Try to be up early for sailing into Sitka, to see the beautiful small islands in the area. Even in September, there was enough light in the early morning to get good views.

Definitely check the Alaska board that I linked to above.

Wow! Great pics! I am thinking about the sea otter quest with Raptor tour...

I took the Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion on the Westerdam last year and here are some pics of what you will see:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty/wildlife/otters/

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty/wildlife/alaska-brown-bears/ at the Fortress of the Bears.

We followed some feeding gray whales that swam along the shoreline.

Since you will be on the same cruise we took last year, here are the On Locations (daily activities) that should closely resemble what you will have:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2014-westerdam-on-location-daily-activities/

If your are a foodie, here are the current Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (free 24/7) menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

As a dining tip when you see crab legs as an appetizer, you will receive two finger-sized legs. My MDR waiter recommended that I request four orders on the same plate. He brought me five orders and I enjoyed a mound of delicious seafood to start my meal.

Edited by Crew News

I took the Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion on the Westerdam last year and here are some pics of what you will see:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty/wildlife/alaska-brown-bears/ at the Fortress of the Bears.

Since you will be on the same cruise we took last year, here are the On Locations (daily activities) that should closely resemble what you will have:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/alaska-2014-westerdam-on-location-daily-activities/

If your are a foodie, here are the current Specialty Restaurant, Beverage, and Room Service (free 24/7) menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

As a dining tip when you see crab legs as an appetizer, you will receive two finger-sized legs. My MDR waiter recommended that I request four orders on the same plate. He brought me five orders and I enjoyed a mound of delicious seafood to start my meal.

Oh boy! Hours of fun for me... 😀 thanks for sharing!

Thanks again for the wonderful info! Having only cruised the NA, it was really great to get some info on Westerdam. I have read a lot of negative food reviews from Westerdam cruisers so that is one of my concerns since we were so impressed with the quality and choice of food on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I saw that you did the triple play for the sea otter quest. Did you enjoy that??

AHOY SHIPMATES;

TRY TO FLY NORTH and do inland first. It is very tiring with suitcases every night(excess luggage will be stored for you and at ship later)

After inland you go aboard ship and relax going south.

MID MAY. thru early June is best for seeing animals just out of hibernation and foraging for food and mates. Also staff is freshly trained for the season and not tired yet. The restaurants in DENALI are open and the food is edible.

MID JUNE THRU LABOR DAY 6-10 SHIPS IN PORT at a time AND ALLYOU SEE ARE

THOUSANDS OF TOURISTS, some animals and decent weather (some rain)

AFTER LABOR DAY rainy season starts, shore staff is tired and short handed,restaurants are running out of choices, cooks and staff have left for college etc. Animals are back in their caves and you dont see as much as in the spring

We have done 4 trips and used the word AWESOME frequently.

I much prefer ANTARCTICA BUT Alaska is a" MUST SEE" first

Just my opinions but most will agree with me that EARLY is best and a little cheaper too. T Shirts are nice but there are a few things that are unique ie

some gold flakes that you pan for at the old mines, the ULUU knife that the natives use to clean fish, and the 1 and 1/2 inch pen knife/scalpel that is used to castrate the mosquitoes.

HAVE FUN sea you all soon.

There's no such thing as a bad cruise, of course. The earlier sunsets in September in Alaska are really little different from the early sunsets in the tropics, except, of course that Alaskan sunsets go on forever, whereas tropical sunsets are gone in an instant.

Weather is a worry--but it is a worry at all times of year--you can get brilliant sunshine anytime from May to September, and you can get torrential rain as well.

To my mind, the only potential drawback of September is that businesses and people are preparing to wind down. Inventory is no longer getting replaced, so the shop may be out of that shirt in your size, or no longer have the same breadth of selection of local artworks. But that can be balanced off against a genuine (rather than an artificial) need to get rid of excess inventory, meaning that there may well be real deals to be found.

You will love the Westerdam and Alaska. My first Alaska cruise was in mid September on the Ryndam inside passage, it rained, snowed and was chilly. Had a great time so much I am going on my 5th cruise to Alaska third time on the Westerdam in May. Beware - Alaska may grow on you.

Wow! Great pics! I am thinking about the sea otter quest with Raptor tour...

I enjoyed the Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion. By hooking my arm around one of the railings on the outside deck, I established a great location for both viewing and photographing. The wind chill while the boat was in motion kept most passengers inside the heated seating area. With layered clothing, I stayed warm and photographed humpback whales while those inside were either pressed against the windows or repeatedly scrambling out to my location.

Many otters floated on the water and seemed not to be concerned about us; resident humpback whales were photographed; loons were spotted; harbor seals slept on rock formations; eagles watched us from the tree tops; Sitka deer posed at the edge of the tree line; and gray whales fed next to the shore during the water portion of the excursion.

The Raptor Center was very informative on raptor rescue efforts and included a Q&A session with a keeper holding a very large, but permanently-hobbled, eagle. The slightest movement of those in the audience caused the eagle's head to jerk sharply towards the movement. Being within twelve feet of the eagle, we could see it's beauty but also sense it's lethality.

The Fortress of the Bears was good for photographs of the rescued brown and black bear orphans being raised there.

The excursion was one of favorites for both photographic opportunities and wildlife information.

I enjoyed the Otters, Raptors, and Bears excursion. By hooking my arm around one of the railings on the outside deck, I established a great location for both viewing and photographing. The wind chill while the boat was in motion kept most passengers inside the heated seating area. With layered clothing, I stayed warm and photographed humpback whales while those inside were either pressed against the windows or repeatedly scrambling out to my location.

Many otters floated on the water and seemed not to be concerned about us; resident humpback whales were photographed; loons were spotted; harbor seals slept on rock formations; eagles watched us from the tree tops; Sitka deer posed at the edge of the tree line; and gray whales fed next to the shore during the water portion of the excursion.

The Raptor Center was very informative on raptor rescue efforts and included a Q&A session with a keeper holding a very large, but permanently-hobbled, eagle. The slightest movement of those in the audience caused the eagle's head to jerk sharply towards the movement. Being within twelve feet of the eagle, we could see it's beauty but also sense it's lethality.

The Fortress of the Bears was good for photographs of the rescued brown and black bear orphans being raised there.

The excursion was one of favorites for both photographic opportunities and wildlife information.

Thanks for the info... I am pretty sure we will book that excursion! Couple of more questions: how soon should we book excursions before they start filling up?

Did you or anyone who is responding here take one of the fishing cruises in Ketchikan? We are interested in doing one that we can mail our catch home.

And Juneau.... So many choices can't even begin to decide! Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the help! I love this HAL board... Everyone is so helpful!

Thanks for the info... I am pretty sure we will book that excursion! Couple of more questions: how soon should we book excursions before they start filling up?

Did you or anyone who is responding here take one of the fishing cruises in Ketchikan? We are interested in doing one that we can mail our catch home.

There is tons of information on the Alaska forum and you will for sure get some great recommendations. You are right - so many choices, decision decisions.:D

After our first visit to Alaska, we realized that for the expense in just getting there and back, staying for two weeks would be the better idea. That has been our plan since 2009. Even though you might have to change rooms for the second week, that change might be an upgrade. When you tell a member of the crew that you will be back a second week, you will get a good smile from them. They will remember you.

Booking HAL excursions on-board or online is always debatable. I book in advance online to ensure that I am included. I would book the Raptors excursion early as there were people wait-listed last July.

For a first time visit to juneau, any whale-watching tour is a must. Next time you visit, you can try a glacier walk.

I cannot help you with the fishing and sending issue.

Recommend you visit the Alaska Forum for specific excursion questions.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, and now mentioned by other posters, you really need to look through the Alaska forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

There are many knowledgeable posters there with various backgrounds, expectations and experiences. You will get a variety of responses to your questions, which you can reflect on ;) The more input you get, the more information you get the better prepared you will be to make the best choices for you and your group.

As for booking excursions, when you find one you really REALLY want to do, book it. Then it won't matter if/when it books up, as you will be booked on it. Be aware that you need to pay for the excursions you book through HAL at time of booking. (So far, I've earned several Mariner spending days for our upcoming cruise :eek: )

Edited by CowPrincess