Dress Question for Formal Night

Shore>Mom

[quote name='Yellowbird75']As far as I know, the cruise elegant dress code applies only to the MDR and the Steakhouse (I've heard the Steakhouse has a nicer dress code every night, though I've never been to confirm this). All other open food venues are normal dress. Which ones are open for dinner I think depends on the ship.[/quote]

Perfect, thank you. Sounds like we have options whichever way we decide.

As you can see from my signature I have been on many cruises including 22 CCL. My children started cruising at 6 months old and are now 13 & 16. What you and your family choose to wear on ELEGANT NIGHT (not formal, not black tie) is up to you and your family.

My family is on vacation and we choose to wear casual clothes to dinner
My sons like to wear dress shorts and polo shirts and elegant nights khaki or black pants and a button down shirt and yes my sons have worn flip flops and sneakers on elegant nights. I usually bring 1 dress and 1 nice pant outfit and depending on the seas you could see me in flip flops (when it is rough, i'm not going to break my neck wearing heals on a rocking ship)

Some cruise lines are strict with their policies some have none, I have never seen CCL turn someone away in the MDR. What is Elegant to you may not be to me and vice versa. We have seen prom dresses on 40 year old women to dresses that look like they are going to a night club on South Beach to very simple sundresses or pant outfits. In Texas a nice pair of jeans and cowboy hat is Elegant for some.

Who are you to say what is not ELEGANT for them?

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']A "5 star restaurant" has absolutely nothing to do with the clothes people wear who choose to dine there. It is ALL about the food...which tastes the same whether you are wearing a gown, furs, and diamonds or just a sundress and sandals.
[/QUOTE]
That is very well said! I have been to many "5 star restaurants" and you know what the people who go there once a year for a special occasion dress up. The people who eat there on a regular basis, guess what they wear? Sometimes what they wore to work or what ever they had on that day including jeans (gasp!!!) And guess what it's fine and doesn't ruin any ones night.

[quote name='Yellowbird75']As far as I know, the cruise elegant dress code applies only to the MDR and the Steakhouse (I've heard the Steakhouse has a nicer dress code every night, though I've never been to confirm this). All other open food venues are normal dress. Which ones are open for dinner I think depends on the ship.[/QUOTE]

The steak house you can wear dress shorts or jeans and on elegant nights they ask you to dress a little nicer, and yes they did ask my son to change out of shorts on an elegant night but not other nights. And yes I have worn my Fit Flops in there!

It is your VACATION do what is comfortable for you and your family and have a great time, we do!:D

[quote name='KevInPitt']Popular opinion is wear whatever you want on Formal Night. It's also acceptable to let your child wear whatever he/she wants as well. After all, it's your vacation isn't it? Do what makes you happy regardless of custom, protocol or the opinion of others![/QUOTE]

100% agree

[QUOTE=Shore>Mom;45568104]We are a family of 4 booked on the 6 day Breeze. We are from a resort area where it is perfectly acceptable to wear nice thong sandals to the Club or out to dinner. Can my 14 yo old son wear his Sperry thongs on formal night along with a good pair of khakis and a collared shirt? We are not going to go with tuxes etc. but we usually clean up pretty good. LOL. Thanks in advance for any replies.[/QUOTE]

Wear them. That way the person who doesn't see his feet, which are under the table, not affecting anyone that night (as it doesn't affect them the other nights) can sit back and say "Oh My Gosh, I can't believe he wore sandals" Some of the thong sandals can run in excess of $125 and by far are better shoes then those pretending their $7 garage sale high heels with open painted toes are elegant. It's all in the eye of the beholder, sounds like he'll look just great. Attitude, kindness and how he presents himself as a person will overshadow someone's shallow thoughts of what he's wearing on his feet.

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']Personally I would LIKE "formal night" to disappear...I think the custom is old and outdated and is little more than a photo-op for both cruisers and the cruiseline. I'm sorry that you feel [U]how I dress[/U] ruins your experience, that isn't my intention or really my concern.

I spent years "dressing up" for work...guys had to wear suits and ties, gals heels and nylons and business suits because we were in a "need to impress" field. Funny thing, when Friday casual became the norm productivity didn't dimension...in fact the business flourished and customers were more comfortable interacting with us.

I just want people to dress with an emphasis on clean and neat and to have options that fit into a world where a carry-on suitcase is the norm. And if women can wear dressy flip flops (and I would suspect that many many do) then men should be able to do the same. Their carry-on bag is no bigger than mine.[/quote]

I get your point....but love formal night. Perhaps it's a throw back to the past or just the idea of dressing up for dinner. DW and I seldom get to a place that one should dress up for, so it's pretty cool in our book. Carnival's rules on formal night certainly aren't that restrictive. If you don't want to dress for it, then don't but why take it away from others? Still< I thinkk the young man should wear shoes. A couple nights out of his life with out flip flops isn't going to hurt him. Still, in truth I pay no mind to what others wear on formal night. All I know is it is fun for our family and even my father junks his harley shirts for the event. Shot, one of these day's I might even rent the tux for it, just to tick people off that don't like the formal night. :)

[QUOTE]But, that is not an answer you can give. [B]Technically, the dress code states no flip flops.[/B] So, they should be prepared to be turned away if the Maitre d' determines that they are not appropriate.

Telling someone the answer is yes is, in fact, incorrect unless you are the person in charge deciding what attire is appropriate. [/QUOTE]

Technically, the [B]suggested[/B] dress code state no [B]beach flip-flops[/B].

I just shake my head at those who say how others are dressed ruins their dinner. Seriously? If those people paid more attention to themselves and their own family they might not have so much time to spend concerning themselves with things that shouldn't concern them. My husband and I used to dress up for "formal" night but we no longer do so. He wears khaki pants and a polo or collared shirt while I wear black slacks and a dressy top. If we're not dressed up enough for some people we don't care. And those people don't have the right to tell us to go to the buffet. And really, are there people who truly care what shoes other people are wearing? Good grief, what a frivolous thing to concern themselves about. How silly. Edited by Yvonne

[quote name='Yvonne']I just shake my head at those who say how others are dressed ruins their dinner. Seriously? If those people paid more attention to themselves and their own family they might not have so much time to spend concerning themselves with things that shouldn't concern them. My husband and I used to dress up for "formal" night but we no longer do so. He wears khaki pants and a polo or collared shirt while I wear black slacks and a dressy top. If we're not dressed up enough for some people we don't care. And those people don't have the right to tell us to go to the buffet. And really, are there people who truly care what shoes other people are wearing? Good grief, what a frivolous thing to concern themselves about. How silly.[/QUOTE]

You DO dress for formal night. What you and your DH wear is completely, 100% within the dress code. Thank you for respecting the dress code, which is the only thing that myself and others who agree have said bother us.

Those who disagree with the masses on the thread have been called frivolous, rude, wrong, stupid...I don't understand why opinions can't be expressed without being "attacked".

[quote name='ccartman2']I get your point....but love formal night. Perhaps it's a throw back to the past or just the idea of dressing up for dinner. DW and I seldom get to a place that one should dress up for, so it's pretty cool in our book. Carnival's rules on formal night certainly aren't that restrictive. If you don't want to dress for it, then don't but why take it away from others? Still< I thinkk the young man should wear shoes. A couple nights out of his life with out flip flops isn't going to hurt him. Still, in truth I pay no mind to what others wear on formal night. All I know is it is fun for our family and even my father junks his harley shirts for the event. Shot, one of these day's I might even rent the tux for it, just to tick people off that don't like the formal night. :)[/QUOTE]

I have not seen one post from people who don't like to get dressed up for elegant night that they are mad if someone wears a tux. All people are saying is that they do not want to dress up for dinner, but have no issue if others want to get dressed up. People just want choice, as what others wear has no bearing on how the food tastes. Even if Carnival did away with elegant night, it does not mean people cannot dress up. I have never seen carnival post a rule that says people cant dress up for dinner and I am sure they never will. If I want to dress up for dinner I will and don't need carnival to give me permission to do it..

Do people really need an enforcer of rules of common courtesy? Do you really want a person at the door grading your appearance?
Some people seem so entitled...
Could people just be decent humans and respect the suggested dress code?
I don't curse around your kids,
I don't cut in lines,
If a sign says please take one, I only take one,
I don't let my dog go to the bathroom in your yard,
I wash my hand before I leave the bathroom,
In the days of VHS, I was kind, I did rewind,
And I do all of this (and more!) without a guard standing there telling me that I must

It makes me wonder if the guard at the buffet for hand sanitizer was put there for these same people that say "If carnival wants to enforce it, let them".

I'm sorry, maybe I am the weird one, but no, I do not want to see your kids feet while I am eating, regardless of how much money you spent on his flip flops.

Just saying, common courtesy to your fellow vacationers would be to respect the suggested rules and dress codes, regardless of if there is a security guard standing there.

/my three cents

I always enjoy reading this topic when it comes up. What I believe that dress is generational. I never thought it would be this way as I myself am a "Baby Boomer". We were taught differently by our parents concerning dress. Dressing to the occasions was a sign of respect for that particular occasion. I would have never thought that attending a funeral without wearing a suit would happen but it has. Here is a quote that about sums this up.....

“Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.”
- Henry David Thoreau

Just my opinion....

[quote name='Chill_1']

I'm sorry, maybe I am the weird one, but no, I do not want to see your kids feet while I am eating, regardless of how much money you spent on his flip flops.

Just saying, common courtesy to your fellow vacationers would be to respect the suggested rules and dress codes, regardless of if there is a security guard standing there.

/my three cents[/QUOTE]

But aren't people's feet UNDER the table when they're seated at dinner? You don't HAVE to look at ANYONE'S feet while you're eating.

And really, I just can't wrap my brain around people's thoughts that it actually MATTERS what one is wearing on their feet.

Maybe I'm in the minority but when I meet someone I greet them, look them in the eye, smile, talk to them, etc. It wouldn't even occur to me to look at their FEET for goodness sakes.

[quote name='Yvonne']But aren't people's feet UNDER the table when they're seated at dinner? You don't HAVE to look at ANYONE'S feet while you're eating.

And really, I just can't wrap my brain around people's thoughts that it actually MATTERS what one is wearing on their feet.

Maybe I'm in the minority but when I meet someone I greet them, look them in the eye, smile, talk to them, etc. It wouldn't even occur to me to look at their FEET for goodness sakes.[/QUOTE]

Whats the old saying?...."I cried because I had no shoes, and then I met someone who had inappropriate shoes." *LOL*

It think it works along those lines :)

I am the same as you when meeting people . I get along with almost everyone, and if I don't , it is for way more important reasons than what you are wearing or have on your feet.

[quote name='Chill_1']Do people really need an enforcer of rules of common courtesy? Do you really want a person at the door grading your appearance?
Some people seem so entitled...
Could people just be decent humans and respect the suggested dress code?
I don't curse around your kids,
I don't cut in lines,
If a sign says please take one, I only take one,
I don't let my dog go to the bathroom in your yard,
I wash my hand before I leave the bathroom,
In the days of VHS, I was kind, I did rewind,
And I do all of this (and more!) without a guard standing there telling me that I must

It makes me wonder if the guard at the buffet for hand sanitizer was put there for these same people that say "If carnival wants to enforce it, let them".

/my three cents[/QUOTE]

My kids will be on an upcoming cruise and they will be wearing flip flops. What you don't know about my kids is that they are very, very famous. You'd know who they are the second you saw them. In fact, so much so, you wouldn't care one bit what they were wearing you'd be so in-tune with their popularity that you wouldn't have time to evaluate their shoes.

If you don't want to see my kids feet, you don't have to, just look away. Find an imaginary unicorn flying in the room and you'll be just fine.

It's a "suggested" dress code. If Carnival wanted it a certain way, they'd make it "required". Then we would hear complaints about how the requirements are too strict I'm sure!

Your dog pooping in my yard, or rewinding VHS tapes or cutting in lines has ramifications. Not following suggestions is just a guideline. Carnival wants to create a more elegant feel to the night, so the suggestion is to be formal. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. Carnival also suggests that you take all their excursions, book elegant spa packages, buy all their photos, take tours, purchase your next cruise, deck out your cabin with decorations, go to alternative dinning, the list goes on.

When you say "...some people seem so entitled", shouldn't everyone be "entitled" to be who they are? Edited by MPLSCruiser

[quote name='MPLSCruiser']My kids will be on an upcoming cruise and they will be wearing flip flops. What you don't know about my kids is that they are very, very famous. You'd know who they are the second you saw them. In fact, so much so, you wouldn't care one bit what they were wearing you'd be so in-tune with their popularity that you wouldn't have time to evaluate their shoes.

[/QUOTE]

I sure hope you're joking.

[quote name='Martini Mom']I sure hope you're joking.[/QUOTE]

Umm, yes. I'm a S.A. I'm trying to make the point that often times society gets caught up in so many non relevant things that we lose track of ourselves and others. IF I had famous kids the reality is that people wouldn't care what they had on their feet. They would go home talking about how they met and talked to 'so & so' and not the fact that "oh my gosh, did you see he had flip flops on".

I don't need to throw "three cents" doing a penny extra just to make me look better. The irony behind all of this is I personally will be wearing a suit & tie and so will my non-famous kids.

I just think a lot of people rush to judgement on issues throughout America without all the facts, and quite frankly a discussion about shoes is so, so petty that its sad. Edited by MPLSCruiser

[quote name='MPLSCruiser']My kids will be on an upcoming cruise and they will be wearing flip flops. What you don't know about my kids is that they are very, very famous. You'd know who they are the second you saw them. In fact, so much so, you wouldn't care one bit what they were wearing you'd be so in-tune with their popularity that you wouldn't have time to evaluate their shoes.

If you don't want to see my kids feet, you don't have to, just look away. Find an imaginary unicorn flying in the room and you'll be just fine.

It's a "suggested" dress code. If Carnival wanted it a certain way, they'd make it "required". Then we would hear complaints about how the requirements are too strict I'm sure!

Your dog pooping in my yard, or rewinding VHS tapes or cutting in lines has ramifications. Not following suggestions is just a guideline. Carnival wants to create a more elegant feel to the night, so the suggestion is to be formal. You don't have to participate if you don't want to. Carnival also suggests that you take all their excursions, book elegant spa packages, buy all their photos, take tours, purchase your next cruise, deck out your cabin with decorations, go to alternative dinning, the list goes on.

When you say "...some people seem so entitled", shouldn't everyone be "entitled" to be who they are?[/QUOTE]

*LOL*

Got a kick out of your "famous kids" post. And have to agree with the rest of what you said .

Actually if your kids were famous people would be more apt to notice everything about their appearance and what they were wearing .

That red carpet "Who are you wearing tonight" stuff has become big. After every big award show you always hear "What the hell was so and so wearing she looked like a lampshade " "man he got so old and bald , I had such a crush on him when he was on such and such show" "God she used to be hot and now she is all jowly with big butt, I guess that is from the booze and dope"

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']Sorry...not happening. Unless Carnival refuses to sell me a ticket because I hate the idea of "dressing Up" I will continue to go to the MDR in my clean but NOT formal clothes. Unless Carnival provides an alternate venue with all the fixins you get in the MDR (and have paid for) then I think the subject is rather mute.

And I really, really don't understand how what I wear on a cruise impacts someone else's enjoyment. That just seems asinine to me.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Well said :)

OK, now that we have accepted flip-flops as long as they are "expensive" ones, we need to start a discussion of appropriate toe nail colors.

I say leave the sales tags on so we can all be impressed. Edited by cruzincurt