Dress Question for Formal Night

Shore>Mom

We are a family of 4 booked on the 6 day Breeze. We are from a resort area where it is perfectly acceptable to wear nice thong sandals to the Club or out to dinner. Can my 14 yo old son wear his Sperry thongs on formal night along with a good pair of khakis and a collared shirt? We are not going to go with tuxes etc. but we usually clean up pretty good. LOL. Thanks in advance for any replies.

From Carnival's web site: Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

While I fully understand Sperry's are high end thong sandals, you would have to convince the staff of this vs them being just any old flip-flops.

That being said, since my youngest has been sailing (13 on our next sail) I can not get his dress shoes. 1st when he was younger because they just didn't make ones that fit him, and now he is going threw 2-3 pairs of shoes a year as he finishes growing. I personally have never been able to justify spending $100+ (now, used to be almost $200 when he was in kids shoes) for something for him to wear 1-2 times before he grows out of them.

Since his shoe issues are due to very wide, very deep shoes needed, I have bought him the strap type sandals (the ones with Velcro or buckles) and he hasn't had an issue. I also tend to wear my Teva sport sandals for formal nights also, but they are also with a floor length dress so you can't even see my feet.

I would consider a more dressy type of men's sandal instead of just a thong though for formal nights. You might not have any problem (they are a LOT less strict on kids/teens dress codes) but it might not be worth not being allowed in if they do want to follow the rules to the letter.

We are a family of 4 booked on the 6 day Breeze. We are from a resort area where it is perfectly acceptable to wear nice thong sandals to the Club or out to dinner. Can my 14 yo old son wear his Sperry thongs on formal night along with a good pair of khakis and a collared shirt? We are not going to go with tuxes etc. but we usually clean up pretty good. LOL. Thanks in advance for any replies.

IMHO, no, that's not appropriate. Other's will disagree.

Popular opinion is wear whatever you want on Formal Night. It's also acceptable to let your child wear whatever he/she wants as well. After all, it's your vacation isn't it? Do what makes you happy regardless of custom, protocol or the opinion of others!

First, I had to look up Sperry, but they say you learn something new every day. I hope that wasn't it.

Consider bringing the receipt with you. The dress code clearly prohibits flip-flops, so if the determination turns on the footwear being "high end", then having the receipt will be good evidence when challenged by the Maitre D'.

[quote name=T. .

Consider bringing the receipt with you. The dress code clearly prohibits flip-flops' date=' so if the determination turns on the footwear being "high end", then having the receipt will be good evidence when challenged by the Maitre D'.[/quote]

I hope you are being sarcastic. If not, why would a $10 flip flop be better than a $60 flip flop? It cost $2 to make one and $3 to make the other. Just because you paid more for them makes no difference.

The only thing the Carnival dress code says that is prohibited are beach flip flops...those rubber ones. The code makes no reference to closed toe shoes, canvas shoes, jesus sandals including the slip on variety with a between the toe strap. And really...do peeps actually spend their time looking at everyone's feet to see if they are complying with "the code"....not something I'd waste my time doing.

The only thing the Carnival dress code says that is prohibited are beach flip flops...those rubber ones. The code makes no reference to closed toe shoes, canvas shoes, jesus sandals including the slip on variety with a between the toe strap. And really...do peeps actually spend their time looking at everyone's feet to see if they are complying with "the code"....not something I'd waste my time doing.

Emphasis added

Edited by fuddrules

I wore flip flops because by the last formal night they were the only shoes that fit me. I am not large, but my feet were SWOLLEN. There wasn't anyway I could wear the strappy heals I brought. I had to buy them in the gift shop and paid $40. Ridiculous. We walked constantly but next time I will put my feet up every chance I get and elevate my feet at night while sleeping.

I do not think even "nice" flip flops are appropriate. Even if you call them thong sandals, they are in fact flip flops. Sperry also makes boat shoes. At least those are closed toes. Also, I know he's probably too young to care but doesn't that outfit look funny?

If it was appropriate to wear "whatever you want" for formal night then there would be no use for having a special night denoted as formal night. There are other options for eating if you don't feel like dressing up those nights but it ruins the experience a little when my husband and I get dolled up and stand behind a family in jean shorts and t-shirts to wait for our table.

Those are my 2 cents.

I asked this question a few weeks ago and got about the same response. Its for a San Juan and islands trip so i thought it might be a bit more casual.. I have deceided to wear sundresses and fancy flip flops and my husband is bringing dress pants with a golf type shirt. I have had a surgery for breast cancer that took my stomach muscle for reconstruction so i cant wear heels. We are from texas so my husbands dress shoes are cowboy boots which are hard to pack so im packing some sperry type shoes for him. Im sure kids wearing flip flops would be fine since those are the "nicer" ones, especially if the pants are long. The suggestion of the sport sandals would work too. I have seen alot of people n dressy flip flops that nite. I just saw flip flops in church last sunday cause its already 80 here!! Have fun !

I do not think even "nice" flip flops are appropriate. Even if you call them thong sandals, they are in fact flip flops. Sperry also makes boat shoes. At least those are closed toes. Also, I know he's probably too young to care but doesn't that outfit look funny?

If it was appropriate to wear "whatever you want" for formal night then there would be no use for having a special night denoted as formal night. There are other options for eating if you don't feel like dressing up those nights but it ruins the experience a little when my husband and I get dolled up and stand behind a family in jean shorts and t-shirts to wait for our table.

Those are my 2 cents.

Personally I would LIKE "formal night" to disappear...I think the custom is old and outdated and is little more than a photo-op for both cruisers and the cruiseline. I'm sorry that you feel how I dress ruins your experience, that isn't my intention or really my concern.

I spent years "dressing up" for work...guys had to wear suits and ties, gals heels and nylons and business suits because we were in a "need to impress" field. Funny thing, when Friday casual became the norm productivity didn't dimension...in fact the business flourished and customers were more comfortable interacting with us.

I just want people to dress with an emphasis on clean and neat and to have options that fit into a world where a carry-on suitcase is the norm. And if women can wear dressy flip flops (and I would suspect that many many do) then men should be able to do the same. Their carry-on bag is no bigger than mine.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

My hubby wears his black aasics with his slacks. Not sure how they feel about sperry flippies for guys, but I've always been able to wear non-beach flippies with my dress/capris.

We occasionally will take fancy clothing for formal night, as it is a great way to get a nice pic of us. Our best family photos were taken on cruise formal nights.

REALLY!!!!!! Your Night was RUINED? by what Other People were wearing?

I have heard it all.

Personally, I love formal night. My husband and I rarely get a chance to dress up and go out, so we both enjoy it. So, for those that don't like it... don't go! Skip the dining room that night and go to the lido deck. Flip flops and all.

I personally think if you have to ask "is this formal enough?" then the answer is probably no.

For a kid, I think tennis shoes would be a better choice. I understand not wanting to buy shoes for one night on a cruise, but surely he has SOMETHING else he could wear besides flip flops.

Personally, I love formal night. My husband and I rarely get a chance to dress up and go out, so we both enjoy it. So, for those that don't like it... don't go! Skip the dining room that night and go to the lido deck. Flip flops and all.

Sorry...not happening. Unless Carnival refuses to sell me a ticket because I hate the idea of "dressing Up" I will continue to go to the MDR in my clean but NOT formal clothes. Unless Carnival provides an alternate venue with all the fixins you get in the MDR (and have paid for) then I think the subject is rather mute.

And I really, really don't understand how what I wear on a cruise impacts someone else's enjoyment. That just seems asinine to me.

REALLY!!!!!! Your Night was RUINED? by what Other People were wearing?

I have heard it all.

Thank you for taking what I said and twisting it sooo far to the extreme. You should join the media. My exact words were that "it ruins the experience a little"...which it does! Does it ruin my night? Do I go to my cabin crying because someone didn't dress up? Of course not. But the point of formal night is to create an ambiance of a 5 star restaurant. An experience created by the 3 course meal and the waiters and the food selections. An experience that is worthy of not wearing flip flops.

I find it funny that everyone here knows these "rules" and these forums go NUTS when people ask about breaking other "rules." You are aware of the standards set for formal night on the MDR when you book a cruise. Just like not smuggling on alcohol and not taking non Gold people to the cocktail party, you agree to these terms when you accept your cruise contract. There are other dining options on those nights.

Just dress "nice" and you are fine. Don't let anyone on this website tell you to go away. Dont let anyone tell you that you must go purchase a one time wear item If you aren't up to snuff a Carnival employee will let you know and that's all that counts. Carnival hasn't called it formal night in YEARS. . Upscale resort casual is the accepted year round restaurant attire where I live. Enjoy your cruise.