Wow..walking the plank on the Getaway

cowboygene

Want a thrill?

Put on a harness and do the ropes course, after your safely strapped in, you walk to the stairs and you have a cable that's inserted into a slot and off you go.

When you reach the top of the stairs you can maneuver in several different directions walking on a narrow beam, a single strand of rope and other incredible challenges.

You can make your way over to the plank which is about 6 inches wide and extends about 6 feet over the side of the ship.

I walked out to the end and you pull a lanyard and it snaps your photo.

This up over 16 deck, so your about 160' above the waterline, the wind is howling and the ship is making about 20 knots.

Do it!!!..you only live once

Want a thrill?

Put on a harness and do the ropes course, after your safely strapped in, you walk to the stairs and you have a cable that's inserted into a slot and off you go.

When you reach the top of the stairs you can maneuver in several different directions walking on a narrow beam, a single strand of rope and other incredible challenges.

You can make your way over to the plank which is about 6 inches wide and extends about 6 feet over the side of the ship.

I walked out to the end and you pull a lanyard and it snaps your photo.

This up over 16 deck, so your about 160' above the waterline, the wind is howling and the ship is making about 20 knots.

Do it!!!..you only live once

NO WAY You will not catch me doing anything like that on my vacation, nope not never, its not gonna happen.

Why??

I do it every day at work at up to and including 80-85 stories. :eek:

NYC High-rise Window Cleaning :cool:

once you realize you can't slip out of the harness and the cable can't slip out of the track...you become very relaxed...the course is very intricate..you can go in multiple directions arriving at a junction where you can go elsewhere...the pathways are interesting sometime's a narrow beam, or a strand of rope or some crazy steps...really is fun

Im afraid of heights. So, its not happening for me :(

I did it on Breakaway. I am not a fan of heights at all. But I made myself walk the plank. My wife was shocked I did it. So happy I did. Was a great rush.

...Actually, the zip line was pretty fun, too! I just wish that part was a little longer

Same here

Anyone brave enough to post your plank pic? [emoji4]

Wish I had one

Edited by geegee1

I am so afraid of heights, but I've already told myself that I'm definitely doing it when we go on either the Breakaway or Getaway this spring!!!! I'm going to do it no matter what...even if I need to have a drink or two beforehand ;)

I can't wait!!!

Did it twice and LOVED it! What a thrill especially as we were sailing out of St. Thomas. The camera wasn't working even though I pulled the cord a few times. Don't think I would have purchased the photo anyway at $21 a pop!

16359541046_ee07fa85e0_b.jpg

16198230638_f82f97dc13_b.jpg

Edited by eroller

Ok here is my stupid question. When you do the ropes course, must you walk the plank? Or can you be a big baby (like me) and skip the plank?

I hope to do this but the older I get that darn fear of heights has creeped back :eek:

Tune in 2 weeks if I walk the plank :eek:

Two things.....

Are there any balcony cabins under it? It would be kinda fun to watch.

Also, has anyone fallen yet? I tried to Google it for videos but no one fell, lol. (Maybe Ill be the first)

Edited by Mirrasi

Ok here is my stupid question. When you do the ropes course, must you walk the plank? Or can you be a big baby (like me) and skip the plank?

I hope to do this but the older I get that darn fear of heights has creeped back :eek:

No, you don't have to go on it. There are many different routes to take on the ropes course. The plank is just an option. You can skip it if you want to. Just don't walk out on it. No big deal

I remember thinking "walking the plank" doesn't look all that bad but when I did it on the Getaway, I was like "OMG OMG this is scary!" I remember looking down and seeing the side of the cruise including the "Norwegian Getaway" letters and thats when I really knew that I was like 19 floors above sea level. I also remember walking backwards back to the ropes course.

If you have a fear of heights, even the normal ropes course (without going on the plank) will be a challenge. It's pretty high up. I know my partner would never do it. So if you get up the nerve to do the ropes course, then take your time and do it a couple times and see if you conquer those fears. Since you're already there you might just give The Plank a try!

I do recommend doing the ropes course during a non-busy time if possible, like when the ship is in port. There will be no pressure from others to hurry through it and you can really take your time.

Good luck!

I do recommend doing the ropes course during a non-busy time if possible, like when the ship is in port. There will be no pressure from others to hurry through it and you can really take your time.

Good luck!

Great tip! I will have to make this a "must do" on our Breakaway cruise!