Gratuities going up...minimally

HoopTroop

It is very likely that the higher charge for suites is due to many factors.

The size of the suite cabin is substantially larger than average, some with multiple rooms and more than one washroom. The number of cabins that a steward services would be less in these areas. (If the average steward had to service 15 cabins -- this would be a too many for a steward in the suite areas, therefore more employees dipping into the DSC).

In addition there are numerous other employees who are dedicated workers to the upper cabin categories, such as the the Haven restaurant, bar and courtyard staff, cleaning crew etc for these areas. These employees are exclusive to the suites and hence compensation for their services need to come from the guests accommodating these cabins.

This increase has nothing at all to do with the concierge and the butler. There has been no indication whatsoever that there has been any change in the way these employees are compensated.

Rochelle

This is actually not true. As someone that has stayed exclusively in the Haven, I have seen the servers in various restaurants at different times. They also work in specialty restaurants and bartenders rotate bars.

In addition, I don't buy the extra room to clean. A family oceanview is larger than some suites. I am more likely to believe that they feel suites will pay more so they are going to charge more.

I think it's quite possible that the increased tip for suites now includes the Butler and Concierge, and that an extra $2 will cover it.

Whenever anyone asks on here how much to tip these people, an amount of $10 per person per day for the butler (and usually $5 for the concierge) is mentioned. There seems to be no reasoning for these amounts, and it only takes a little bit of thinking about to see that these amounts are far more than the average person is paying.

I've heard it said that a Butler looks after about 10 cabins. I'm not sure whether that is true, but it's been said by people who use them a lot, so I doubt it is far out. Giving an average of 2.5 people per cabin (with the two bedroom suites this seems reasonable, if not a little low), $10 per day per person would mean a Butler is getting $250 a day in tips ($7,500 a month). That is obviously far more than they in fact receive.

My assumption (and I could be wrong, but I doubt whether I'm wrong by much) is that they actually receive a wide variety of amounts. I would be very surprised if a significant amount of people don't leave a grand total of zero in tips. The majority probably leave something in the region of $20-100 per cabin for a week with a relative few who leave the sort of amounts recommended here.

Given that, if the DSC is increased by $2 to cover these people, it will probably have the following effect.

Some of those who currently leave nothing will adjust the DSC, but I suspect the majority will leave it as it is, meaning that an extra $14 per week goes into the tip pool per person from this group. I suspect this will add up to a significant amount.

Those who currently leave a smaller tip may adjust what they currently leave. A family of three will pay $42 through the DSC, and some will then leave some extra on top of that, as many do for their room steward. I'd imagine that the overall effect of the change from this group would be fairly small, maybe a slight overall reduction, but not much in it.

Those who currently leave a really big tip will be appalled at the suggestion of just leaving $2 per day and will continue to leave what they normally do. Some may make an adjustment for the DSC and the occasional person may assume that they were previously massively overtipping, but I doubt it will make much difference overall.

The net effect is that by getting those who currently leave nothing to give the $2 a day, the overall effect will be fairly neutral but at least everyone is contributing.

Had they added more than the $2 then I imagine more people would have taken exception, causing more complaints, people removing the DSC etc, with very little overall change in what is received.

As I say, I may be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

Edited by KeithJenner

You should visit the laundry facilities down in the bowels of the ship. Tons and tons of sheets, towels, etc. The people that work there deserve their portion of the DSC.

Don't they get a salary?

Do you also tip at the dry cleaners or do you just pay what they charge?

I don't tip my dry cleaners

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Possibly the extra fee for the suite passengers is for the staff at Cagneys (or wherever the suite guests eat). The breakfast and lunch service is truly exceptional. I usually tip them extra. I never mind the service fee. They deserve it.I if there weren't service fees, I am willing to bet that some folks wouldn't tip.

Possibly the extra fee for the suite passengers is for the staff at Cagneys (or wherever the suite guests eat). The breakfast and lunch service is truly exceptional. I usually tip them extra. I never mind the service fee. They deserve it.I if there weren't service fees, I am willing to bet that some folks wouldn't tip.

They are already in the main pool, and I'd imagine that working in Cagneys (whether for lunch or the evening) already draws more cash tips than the average wait staff get.

There are other restaurants open for breakfast and lunch too - suite breakfast and lunch is no different, all restaurant staff has already been covered by the DSC.

And I have to agree to what KeithJanner said, the wait staff in the vip breakfast/lunch venue probably get more tips already anyway.

While I have no problem with the increase, I am unable to find anything about it on the NCL website. What and where is the link to this announcement.

It was stated in an earlier post in this thread that the quote was from NCL's email to TAs. This is normal as they usually inform TAs "internally" before publishing the info on their website and/or publishing a statement. Just have patience. :)

I have to say the subject of the DSC and tipping in general has been discussed ad nauseum. What we do is not what you may do and it depends on your own viewpoint. I don't like the concept of tipping in general, but does this mean that I stiff the waiter at a restaurant, my hairdresser, etc. etc....no I do not. Way I look at it is that we are going to pay one way or the other way, so not surprised the DSC is going up but would be nice if NCL clarified what goes to who vis a vis suites. This is just such a subject for irritation, anger, people looking down on other people....bottom line is YMMV and I don't worry about what others do, I work hard to live to my own ethics and abilities.

Sorry if I missed it but where can you prepay for the tips on the ncl site for cruises already booked:confused:

You can call NCL or your TA to pay, or you can log in to MyNCL and do it there under "Vacation Summary" - there is a link "Log In to My NCL" on top of NCL's website.

Edited by Demonyte

Mary Kay

Looks like you will be in Houston! Drop me a line at BigNCBear@aol.com. Would love to meet you (and your Joe!) for a drink or cup of coffee or something.

Thanks. I'll email you. Would be great if we can get together. Would love to hear about your cruises after 2010 Sun and how you're doing.

Mary Kay

Don't they get a salary?

Do you also tip at the dry cleaners or do you just pay what they charge?

I don't tip my dry cleaners

Of course they get a salary. But they also depend upon their portion of the DSC. Read the FAQ on the NCL site and you'll see how the gratuities are distributed. It's not just the stewards and restaurant staff.

And for me it does create a dilemma. I thought I had 3 months to save $500 and now I have to come up with it in two weeks.

I agree. And if you have 3 cruises booked for 4 people it is significant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Norwegian Cruise Line is adjusting its daily service charges, effective for all sailings that begin on March 1, 2015. The new rates are:

$12.95 per guest per day for any category up to a Mini-Suite stateroom.

$14.95 per guest per day for any suite category.

Guests who have previously booked a cruise and are sailing after March 1, 2015, or who are planning to book a cruise now through February 28, 2015, can choose to pre–pay their service charges at the current rate by February 28, 2015. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre–paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected.

Norwegian’s daily service charges, which were last adjusted in 2009, make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind–the–scenes support staff. Guests who are sailing in Suite categories also receive the services of a concierge, butler and dedicated wait staff.

Thank you for your continued support,

Norwegian Cruise Line

Thank you so much for sharing!!:):)

I agree. And if you have 3 cruises booked for 4 people it is significant.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Seriously, if you are not in a suite it is an extra $79.80 total extra for all 3 cruises if you are in a suite it is an extra $247.80 total extra for all 3 cruises.

While if you handed me that cash I would gladly take it but in the big scheme of things and the cost of 3 cruises this really is not a lot of money

Of course they get a salary. But they also depend upon their portion of the DSC. Read the FAQ on the NCL site and you'll see how the gratuities are distributed. It's not just the stewards and restaurant staff.

Um I know that

I'm just wondering who tips their dry cleaners?

I would like to know as well.

We have a cruise on Dec 2015, can I pre-pay the DSC now?

Thanks in advance.

I guess you could if you think it's a smart thing to give your money to the cruiseline 10 months in advance in order to save .95 pp pd

Ncl is going to get many pax to part with their money long before needed in order to save .95 pp pd

Um ok but from a business standpoint Ncl cash reserves will increase nicely this month whereas they wouldn't have had they not offered this incentive to pax

Probably a big payment due to the shipbuilder or quarterly Insurance and/or taxes due

Ncl is smart they are using the old OPM ( other people's money) method

They are just raising some quick cash in the next 2 weeks without borrowing it by offering this incentive. Lol

It really would be easier to just add the DSC to the cruise fare and be done with daily charges across all lines! Of course, perhaps it would have to be taxed if added to the rate...there is another line that charges more for suite DSC, I just can't remember who it is...

I guess you could if you think it's a smart thing to give your money to the cruiseline 10 months in advance in order to save .95 pp pd

Ncl is going to get many pax to part with their money long before needed in order to save .95 pp pd

Um ok but from a business standpoint Ncl cash reserves will increase nicely this month whereas they wouldn't have had they not offered this incentive to pax

Probably a big payment due to the shipbuilder or quarterly Insurance and/or taxes due

Ncl is smart they are using the old OPM ( other people's money) method

They are just raising some quick cash in the next 2 weeks without borrowing it by offering this incentive. Lol

In case anyone from outside the U.S. is considering this then it may be worth checking your local terms. Here in the UK, if we agree to prepay our DSC we don't actually pay it now, but it is added to our final payment, so we fix them but don't need to actually pay anything until 60 days out.

This is the case if we state we want to prepay when we book. I'm not sure what happens if we subsequently phone and ask for them to be added, but I imagine it is the same.