Reykjavik: South Coast or Reykjanes?

MightyQuinn

We're trying to decide between a couple of tours out of Reykjavik: South Coast Adventure or Reykjanes Peninsula.

South Coast Adventure includes Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Vik and Reynisfjara black sand beach. Reykjanes Peninsula includes Krýsuvik, Grindavik, Hópsnes, Gunnuhver geothermal area, Bridge between Continents and Gardur. We will also be taking a Golden Circle tour and spending time at the Blue Lagoon, so we'd like to select another tour that would cover sights/landscapes that are most different from them. Would appreciate input from anyone who has done either/both tours. Thanks!

We're trying to decide between a couple of tours out of Reykjavik: South Coast Adventure or Reykjanes Peninsula.

South Coast Adventure includes Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Vik and Reynisfjara black sand beach. Reykjanes Peninsula includes Krýsuvik, Grindavik, Hópsnes, Gunnuhver geothermal area, Bridge between Continents and Gardur. We will also be taking a Golden Circle tour and spending time at the Blue Lagoon, so we'd like to select another tour that would cover sights/landscapes that are most different from them. Would appreciate input from anyone who has done either/both tours. Thanks!

Hi Mighty Quinn...disclaimer- I have not yet been to Iceland...but I am going there this summer after our cruise to Norway (return trip stop over) But I have done a LOT of research as we are spending a week there! If you are going to the Blue Lagoon, this is on the Reykjanes Peninsula.

The south Coast itinerary is , from what I understand, gorgeous with all the waterfalls. The black sand beach with the lava (troll) formations is supposed to be amazing. From what i have researched, I would do the south coast itinerary.

Have fun planning!

Edited by pmjnh

I appreciate your input pmjnh. Like you, we're doing a stop-over in Reykjavik post-cruise for a couple of days. We are leaning towards the South Coast tour but I wondered if it would be too similar to the Golden Circle, given that waterfalls feature prominently in both. Other than that, we love the itinerary. We are staying at the Blue Lagoon Hotel so we'll be close to the Reykjanes Peninsula and it makes sense to just do a self-drive around the area rather than doing a tour. But DH is not keen on rental cars, so that is limiting. Thanks for your reply!

We've done the South Coast twice and the Reykjanes Peninsula once, and although I'd vouch for the Reykjanes Peninsula being more amazing than anything I've seen outside of Iceland, the South Coast, with the waterfalls and glaciers (you get black sand beaches in Reykjanes) are worth the trip over there all by themselves.

I appreciate your input pmjnh. Like you, we're doing a stop-over in Reykjavik post-cruise for a couple of days. We are leaning towards the South Coast tour but I wondered if it would be too similar to the Golden Circle, given that waterfalls feature prominently in both. Other than that, we love the itinerary. We are staying at the Blue Lagoon Hotel so we'll be close to the Reykjanes Peninsula and it makes sense to just do a self-drive around the area rather than doing a tour. But DH is not keen on rental cars, so that is limiting. Thanks for your reply!

We have rented a car (SUV)and doing a self drive to Snaefellnes Peninsula and the south coast to Jokulsarlon . We are looking to do a super jeep tour one day into the highlands . Still researching that. It sounds like an amazing country!

Thanks Nitemare. You've confirmed our choice for the South Coast. Waterfalls, black beaches and puffins are a tough combo to beat! We still hope to see as much of Reykjanes Peninsula as possible. We'll just have to suss out transport options once we arrive.

pmjnh, lucky you to have a week in Iceland! I'm sure you'll have a blast doing Snæfellsnes Peninsula. It sounds like the best of the best and totally amazing. I checked out a private "deluxe" jeep tour to Vatnajökull Glacier on the South East Coast but it was crazy expensive for just a couple. Hope you have better luck.