I'm terrified!!!!!!!!!

SeaCookie94

Back in 2010 aboard the Jade we went though a couple of days of rough seas in the Med..It was in Feb and we averaged waves around 27ft..

Walking the hallways was a bit of a adventure, you would be bounced around like a pinball at times..

You also made sure to grab onto the stairwell railing...

I remember standing out on my Balcony laughing and watching the oncoming waves slam into the ship, I could hear this poor women somewhere above me was throwing up for nearly 3hrs straight..

I believe she threw up everything she had eaten since she was 2 months old and then some...

I really felt sorry for her...

The captain had to reduce speed and because of this we were late arriving at one of our ports...

I did get rocked to sleep that night...

Edited by warriorking

There's another aspect not brought up. There's more to be said about fearing sickness. While on board there's so much to see and do that your mind will forget about fearing. You'll be so intrigued with what's there to see, to do, and be amazed at how did they accomplish it in the first place. Until you've been on that first cruise, you have a vision in your head of what it's like, but find out differently.

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but the brain and eyesight sometimes needs to be reoriented. Look out at the horizon so the brain finds itself and readjusts.

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but the brain and eyesight sometimes needs to be reoriented. Look out at the horizon so the brain finds itself and readjusts.

While on the ship enjoy looking at the horizon, it is a beautiful sight, especially in the morning and evenings, and it helps you feel less sea sick.

That will help for many people.

Is this a joke post? I have to assume you are joking. You are going to be on a huge cruise ship, not a rowboat. A 20 ft wave would do nothing to the ship other then rock it. If you go into the cruise with this type of stuff in your head you are not going to enjoy yourself..."Terrified"?? Sounds like maybe you should stick to the land....:rolleyes:

6&8

Is this a joke post? I have to assume you are joking. You are going to be on a huge cruise ship, not a rowboat. A 20 ft wave would do nothing to the ship other then rock it. If you go into the cruise with this type of stuff in your head you are not going to enjoy yourself..."Terrified"?? Sounds like maybe you should stick to the land....:rolleyes:

6&8

Thank you for your help!

To the rest of the matured helpful responses on here thank you very much. I will take into consideration all of your suggestions. May I add thank you for conducting yourself in a very pleasant manner, you've made me feel much better [emoji5]️

Edited by SeaCookie94

To the rest of the matured helpful responses on here thank you very much. I will take into consideration all of your suggestions. May I add thank you for conducted yourself in a very pleasant manner, you've made me feel much better [emoji5]️

This is the third post I have seen from you acting like you are on a high horse. Perhaps a different forum is right for you. Just a suggestion

6&8

This is the third post I have seen from you acting like you are on a high horse. Perhaps a different forum is right for you. Just a suggestion

6&8

High horse??? Sounds like you have a personal issue with me [emoji23]. If me defending myself or others that have to deal with the few who always need have a rude sarcastic uncalled answer for a simple question or comment makes me sound like I'm on a high horse then so be it. You're more then welcome to join me if you'd like. [emoji4]

I myself get very sea sick and continue to cruise. I will be going on my 5th cruise. If I feel sick I stay away from the front of the boat and stay more in the middle. You can also hang out in the pool and your sea sickness will go away. The scopolamine patches did not work for me but I get a prescription of Meclizine from my MD and it works great. I also get Zofran for nausea. I don't let it ruin my time. Once you get on the boat all of your fears will go away because you will have so much fun! Don't worry :)

I myself get very sea sick and continue to cruise. I will be going on my 5th cruise. If I feel sick I stay away from the front of the boat and stay more in the middle. You can also hang out in the pool and your sea sickness will go away. The scopolamine patches did not work for me but I get a prescription of Meclizine from my MD and it works great. I also get Zofran for nausea. I don't let it ruin my time. Once you get on the boat all of your fears will go away because you will have so much fun! Don't worry :)

Thank you. I'm very excited I just couldn't get the bad thoughts out of my head lol, but I feel more at ease now. I know for sure I will get sick so I need to make sure I get some meds for it. Do you think prescription meds are better or OTC?

Thank you. I'm very excited I just couldn't get the bad thoughts out of my head lol, but I feel more at ease now. I know for sure I will get sick so I need to make sure I get some meds for it. Do you think prescription meds are better or OTC?

I do. The OTC meds did not work for me. I tried everything. The sea bands in my opinion are more " mental" comfort and annoying because they are fabric and stay wet if you go in the water ( which u will be doing a lot of) and not very stylish. I wore them 2 days and switched back to my meds. The scopolamine patches are strong and made me dizzy, plus expensive unless you have health insurance. Every cruise I got sea sick but not the last when I did the combo Meclizine and Zofran.

It's mental too. If you worry and think you'll feel sick, you will. Have a drink or three and you'll feel just fine :)

Lol being that I have the UBP I just might do that, you know for the sickness and all lol [emoji6][emoji4]

Edited by SeaCookie94

I do. The OTC meds did not work for me. I tried everything. The sea bands in my opinion are more " mental" comfort and annoying because they are fabric and stay wet if you go in the water ( which u will be doing a lot of) and not very stylish. I wore them 2 days and switched back to my meds. The scopolamine patches are strong and made me dizzy, plus expensive unless you have health insurance. Every cruise I got sea sick but not the last when I did the combo Meclizine and Zofran.

Yea I figured the band would be more of a mental thing. I may get it for my sister tho so she feels at ease. I'm gonna ask my doctor to prescribe what you suggested, hopefully it does me some justice.

I have some crazy anxieties as well, my best coping is to learn as much as possible about the ship. Before my first cruise I watched and read about all the possible issues and made a game plan. If this happened I would do this sort of thing. I learned the layout of the boat, where the lifeboats were where lifejackers were that sort of thing. I will admit that once I had kids I carry a small emergency kit instead of a purse just in case. I figure knowledge is power so the best I could do was learn.

as for seasickness Dramamine and seabands are good options with ginger sweets.

My little sister, who is traveling with me, gets extremely carsick. Will she most likely be seasick too? And can I give her the medicine you guys are suggesting too? She's 13

I would do a pre-cruise trial with the Bonine. Maybe a half would work fine. Have her take 1/2 and go for a car ride. She will probably know right away if it's working (or not). If 1/2 doesn't work go for the full one. I take one each night before going to bed. It does not make me tired and I do drink alcohol while taking Bonine.

We hit rough seas a few times and while it may feel like the ship will be turned upside down, it won't. The ships ride out the swells really well, believe it or not.

I've only been on one cruise, and was worried also. I got made fun of for bringing so many things for motion sickness (gadgets, patches, OTC, RX, and homeopathic medicine, etc.). We didn't use any of them.

One night while we were at dinner, apparently the water got a little rough, and some of the empty chairs started rolling across the room. It was weird to see - it was kinda like the movies and/or ghosts were moving the furniture. I admit it sort of freaked me out, but it was only a couple minutes (probably less than that), and it was back to normal.

I love cruising now - going on our second one in 21 days!@!!

My suggestion: Have a beer/alcohol drink of choice and smile as you will be on a floating city. Even in the worst of weather you will barely feel any motion.

This is coming from someone that was on a cruise running away from a hurricane several years ago (I forget which hurricane... it might have been Katrina). Either way, it was still easy as pie.

I'm going on my first cruise soon and my biggest concern is hitting rough seas. Am I overreacting????

For the most part, yes, you are. Yes, there are times when the water gets very rough, it can cause the ship to rock, some get sea sick and on very rare and I mean very rare the waves do get really high, but we are living in the days of great balance, large ships and are well equipted with outstanding stabelizers (spelling) If you do hit rough waters you will probably be a little scared and think it is worse than it is. If cruising wasn't safe, do you think so many people would cruise year in and year out? Now, I am not min your concerns, you are not alone, but it is like flying: some people, even though the fly can never get over the fear. I am hoping you will have a smooth journey and come back with great stories about your first cruise.

On our last cruise with the kids, my daughter got quite sea sick and the butler kept bringing her green apples......and of course, we had seabands for the kids and they always seem to work!!!! Buy the natural gravol (green bottle) as it doesn't make you drowsy and works very well!!!

I, personally, love the sway of the ship, especially at night.......but you will be just fine, super super safe!!!

Leah

I know it's gonna move lol I'm just afraid of 20ft waves crashing into the ship is all.

On Breakaway you barely notice 20ft waves. Seriouly. The thing is the size of a city block with a 12-story building on it. We went through 15ft waves and I could barely even feel them.

Breakaway is the size of a city block with a 12-story building on it. It *laughs* at 20 ft waves. I've had some of the smoothest cruises of my life on Breakaway.

As for safety, you're more likely to be capsized by a wave while in your CAR than on an NCL cruise ship. They are run by professionals and your safety is their top priority. If there are any dangerous waves, the captain won't go near them. They have millions in equipment that monitors for exactly that.

On Breakaway you barely notice 20ft waves. Seriouly. The thing is the size of a city block with a 12-story building on it. We went through 15ft waves and I could barely even feel them.

Breakaway is the size of a city block with a 12-story building on it. It *laughs* at 20 ft waves. I've had some of the smoothest cruises of my life on Breakaway.

As for safety, you're more likely to be capsized by a wave while in your CAR than on an NCL cruise ship. They are run by professionals and your safety is their top priority. If there are any dangerous waves, the captain won't go near them. They have millions in equipment that monitors for exactly that.

Lol thanks I feel much better about the ship now after hearing everyone's experiences. I guess I'm over it so to speak. Now I must play the waiting game.