I'm terrified!!!!!!!!!

SeaCookie94

For me, i like to target a certain time of year and certain ports.

Whenever I have sailed out of Miami for a cruise I never felt any unsettling movement.

Sailed out of NYC on a beatiful summer day and had rough seas first Eve but nothing after that.

Not sure I would like sailing out of NYC in winter months.

Lol thanks I feel much better about the ship now after hearing everyone's experiences. I guess I'm over it so to speak. Now I must play the waiting game.

I'm so glad to hear this!

When you get on board, you might want to find the channel on your cabin TV that goes over the emergency equipment and procedures. That way you'll know what all the equipment looks like, in the VERY unlikely event you'll need to evacuate. You'll learn the signs that show where the lifejackets and liferafts are stored, so you can see for yourself that the ship was very much designed with safety in mind.

All passengers are required to attend a muster drill, which teaches you where to assemble and how to find your lifeboat. After the drill you might want to grab one of the life jackets in your cabin and practice with it a little.

All of this is intended to give you confidence that you're safe and secure. If you need any other reassurance, know that NCL hires experienced, stoic captains from Nordic countries. The captain of Breakaway would never EVER take chances with the safety of his passengers in any way -- and he knows 1000x more about ships than you will ever know.

Like in air or land travel, most people travelling will never be in really dangerous accidents, but then again - even big accidents do happen occassionally.

[YOUTUBE]7StoZp-2_hA[/YOUTUBE]

Wow it was all she could do to stay awake.... I've been there 'wah... wah'' wahhh.. wah'

Be sure you take Bonine or pill that helps with seasickness BEFORE you board. Ex: take it in the morning when you get up before you board the ship. Then take it every day at the same time. Of course you could take the pill the night before the cruise and every night thereafter. You should be ok and try not to get yourself psyched up about it. Very unusual to have a cruise where the rocking causes widespread sea sickness.

You can sign up for a behind the scenes tour of the ship, including bridge and machine rooms etc. and find out all about the structure and safety mechanisms to explain why the ship doesn't break or tip over in even the roughest of seas.

Machine rooms are off limits if not just because of the noise level, but because of security issues.

With NCL the tour includes MDR galley, pantry, meat defrosting/preparation areas, bakery, laundry, waste management, theatre backstage and usually depending on the captain either a visit to the bridge or bridge viewing room (where available). Tour takes about 2,5 hours and costs $79pp (if I remember the price correctly).

Edited by Demonyte

Machine rooms are off limits if not just because of the noise level, but because of security issues.

With NCL the tour includes MDR galley, pantry, meat defrosting/preparation areas, bakery, laundry, waste management, theatre backstage and usually depending on the captain either a visit to the bridge or bridge viewing room (where available).

Ok. Point being education eases fear,

Thank you I will make sure to get it. What is your opinion of the ship in rough high seas? Is it safe?

Look at it this way, It is much much much (by a factor of thousands) safer than your drive to the airport/port. It's the safest form of travel by far. We took our first cruise two years ago for our honeymoon and my wife had some of the same fears that you had, (and we were on a much smaller ship than you are going on) and my wife had the time of her life.

My little sister, who is traveling with me, gets extremely carsick. Will she most likely be seasick too? And can I give her the medicine you guys are suggesting too? She's 13

I would ask her parents to check with her doctor before giving her anything. Does she take meds for carsickness? If so, she might be able to use the same thing.

Whereas I want to say something sarcastic, I will truthfully say that you ARE overreacting! What ship?? The bigger the better for weather purposes!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

You can refrain from using the sarcasm lol as I previously stated after reading all the comments I realized I was panicking for nothing

I Would get motion sick in my stateroom most nights on my last cruise. Luckily I had brought zofran with me. I'd suggest asking a dr about getting some if you get motion sickness bad..

I wouldn't worry about the ship sinking. Maybe some glasses breaking in rough seas.

Look at it this way. If you completely stress yourself out over it then you will never fully get to enjoy it. Life is no fun if you don't enjoy the ride. I have extreme anxiety as well but I will never let that stop me from experiencing life.

If something was going to happen while on board the ship then it was ment to be. But it was ment to be at that time no matter where you were or what you were doing.

Go....Enjoy.....Have a blast....and soak in every minutes of fun you can possibly have. When you return you will be thinking to yourself that it was so stupid to stress out over all this time.

Take the precautions for the seasickness and you will be fine.

Have a wonderful cruise!

You can refrain from using the sarcasm lol as I previously stated after reading all the comments I realized I was panicking for nothing

Hi, kiddo:

Your younger sister is 13- are you her guardian, or are you traveling with other family?

I only ask because before I even took Bonine before sailing and during the cruise, I would have her parent/ guardian speak with her pediatrician. You, too should check before taking any new OTC med that you have never taken.

Meclazine is pretty benign, but still has side effects.

Scopolamine patches also have side effects, and a good health care provider will explain all the options with you.

I know a Disney princess who works on the Disney ships- she cannot be a passenger in a car without getting very I'll, yet she can sing and dance at sea with no problems.

Have fun-

Ann

I am sure that someone suggested this already, but there are a lot of replies to skim .

I know it's gonna move lol I'm just afraid of 20ft waves crashing into the ship is all.

You are way way way way way way (did I say WAY) over reacting. very seldom have we ever had anything other than the slightest sensation of movement on our cruises. You will be fine. Take a few minor precautions and if you do happen to hit particularly rough seas you will be ready. Theer is absolutely no reason to be even close to terrified.

• 3 years later...
I'm going on my first cruise soon and my biggest concern is hitting rough seas. Am I overreacting????

Yes - I have been on the Breakaway and I am going on the Escape Jan 6 2019 - I see you are booked on that cruise as well - The ship is so big 164,000 tons plus - they also all have stabilizers if needed - you have nothing to worry about - pgatour - Mark