Azamara vs. Cunard Grill Experience

Ballater

My husband and I have sailed once on Silversea and a dozen times on Cunard. My girlfriend and I are contemplating a trip on the Azamara Quest (Club Continent Suite). I absolutely love Cunard, and have heard good comments about Azamara. Can a Cunard Grills passenger describe how he/she compares it to the Azamara experience? Thank you!

We have experienced the Queens Grill twice and in our opinion found it fussy, we are not great foodies and are more appreciative of good ingredients cooked well so I will not try to dwell too much on the actual food as it's far too subjective. We always think of our Queens Grill experience as "competitive eating" the theatre of it is great but there seemed to be a competition running to see how much of the meal you could get cooked at the table by the Maitre'd. Most annoying were the wine glasses, for red wine that we mainly drink the size of the glass used denoted how much you had paid for your wine. Overall we found the service good but a little stiff and impersonal.

By comparison we find the service on Azamara just as attentive, probably more so in Prime C and Aqualina but with a more personal touch, and you get "proper" Rydel Crystal red wine glasses with the included wines. It is unfair to compare Discoverers with the Queens Grill as it's coping with many more passengers but that said we think it stacks up quite well.

Overall we think Azamara provide a much more relaxed and enjoyable eating experience - but that's only our opinion.

We've been once on Cunard Queen's Grill, and six times on Azamara.

I think Riocca's comments are very accurate. At least they match our experiences.

Bruce

Now if you're talking dance floors, the Queens' dance floors are wonderful. :)

I have done Queen's Grill and Princess Grill several times each and also have been on Azamara many times.

QG suites are magnificent of course.....nothing on Azamara to compare with them. A club continent suite will in no way compare to a QG suite.....or even a PG suite, but Azamara has many other qualities that are missing from Cunard. In my opinion QG dining is more like a theatrical production with many dishes being cooked or finally prepared to your liking at the table. The sauces can be heavy and I would say that QG tries to be haute cuisine in the old French style. Azamara has a lighter approach to dining, although the service is equally as good as QG.....actually for me, it's better because I hate being fussed over while I'm eating. Also Azamara does serve afternoon tea in Aqualina sometimes....but it certainly isn't the White Star service of Cunard and the setting cannot compare to The Queen's Ballroom. The Azamara afternoon tea is very good though.

The dress code is also very different of course. This could come as a slight shock to you if you enjoy the formal dress code on Cunard and Silversea but I'm not saying that Azamara passengers don't look good....just that it won't be "formal" like Cunard and Silversea. Speaking personally, I enjoy both formal and country club casual but there is something very special about seeing everyone dressed up and dining in the QG. It reminds me of the elegance of the past.....probably a very British thing though! :)

Actually I enjoy both Cunard and Azamara (also Silversea and Crystal) but given all other factors being equal......I would choose an Azamara cruise over the other cruiselines every time. There is something very special about it that you just have to experience for yourself. And then you will be hooked for life! :D