daily service charge

megann831

They are not included and the best I could find out is to tip the Butler $5-$10 a day per person. Hope that helps

No, they are not. Tip accordingly :)

Harriet

Thanks guys! Butlers and concierges are truly underrated under appreciated! We always tip them very well... It's just a question that we had.....

And I thank you...

JWK: tipping over

I'm really confused about tipping. I've pre-paid for gratuity with my travel agent. I'm also taking extra dollars but how do I decide who I should be tipping? I understand that the pre-paid gratuity is for service but then how do I work out who should get my extra dollars? Feeling confused... I'm English and only usually tip if I've had a good service. I'm predicting that all of the staff on the ship will be really great so I'm worrying that I'll end up throwing money at everyone! But then why have I paid for gratuity?

I don't read your old posts. I just remember some of the things you've said as they were particularly...odd. They really stuck out. If I found out I was ever on a ship with you I'd alert security for the safety of my family due to your extreme, as you label it, nosiness into the private matters of strangers and your misguided power complex. Keep Smiling!

That said you have posted your thoughts on the optional service charge numerous times. No need to berate people constantly. Seems simple to me. Get on the ship. Leave DSC on. If you get great service add cash. If you get lousy service remove the optional service charge. Very simple. Enjoy your birthday cruise next month

You go right ahead. I'd be giggling my butt off. :D :p FWIW, I have no desire to cruise with you either. You do know your other option if I'm on a cruise with you is for you to leave and forego the cruise if you are so afraid.

BTW, do I have a birthday cruise that I don't know about?? Woohoo!!!! Great job DW!!

Edited by Out to sea!

Some people don't want to give money to businesses that don't treat their employees fairly. It's not nosy to want to know what businesses you are supporting do with their money. It's the businesses choice whether they are transparent about it or not, just as it's our choice as a consumer whether we support them or not. Caring about the people that make your food, mix your drinks, clean your room, and keep you safe isn't a personality flaw. If you are content being ignorant about where your dollar goes after you pay for your cruise, then all power to you.

There isn't a person on this board that doesn't know how the DSC works (pay $12 per day/per person) on NCL or any other major cruise line. If you don't like their business practice, don't cruise with them. Pretty simple.

NCL is a privately owned business. It is publicly traded on the stock exchange. That is the only thing public about it.

Waaaay out in left field !!!!!

If you want to use baseball metaphors it would be more accurate to state "line drive to second base".

I'm really confused about tipping. I've pre-paid for gratuity with my travel agent. I'm also taking extra dollars but how do I decide who I should be tipping? I understand that the pre-paid gratuity is for service but then how do I work out who should get my extra dollars? Feeling confused... I'm English and only usually tip if I've had a good service. I'm predicting that all of the staff on the ship will be really great so I'm worrying that I'll end up throwing money at everyone! But then why have I paid for gratuity?

You can tip anyone that you feel is deserving.

The DSC (which isn't a tip) has been paid and the crew is happy and isn't expecting anything more although they are happy to accept tips.

Except for Room Service. This isn't compensated by the DSC and while they are not gonna stand there with their hand out, they are expecting a tip.

There isn't a person on this board that doesn't know how the DSC works (pay $12 per day/per person) on NCL or any other major cruise line. If you don't like their business practice, don't cruise with them. Pretty simple.

In the hope of being accurate, I have to point out that the DSC is actually either $12.95 or $14.95 per day/per person. If someone thinks it is $12, then that would be evidence of one person on this board that doesn't know...

If you want to use baseball metaphors it would be more accurate to state "line drive to second base".

Again...Being that NCL is not traded on ANY stock exchange in existence...it is NCLH that is traded...the proper baseball metaphor would be "error".

In the hope of being accurate, I have to point out that the DSC is actually either $12.95 or $14.95 per day/per person. If someone thinks it is $12, then that would be evidence of one person on this board that doesn't know...

If one paid before 01 Mar 15 it is $12 per day......as I did. Since I have no plans to take future cruises on NCL I'm not really worried about what it will be though others may.

You go right ahead. I'd be giggling my butt off. :D [emoji14] FWIW, I have no desire to cruise with you either. You do know your other option if I'm on a cruise with you is for you to leave and forego the cruise if you are so afraid.

BTW, do I have a birthday cruise that I don't know about?? Woohoo!!!! Great job DW!!

happy early birthday rob. Only a few weeks to go [emoji568] [emoji106]

If one paid before 01 Mar 15 it is $12 per day......as I did. Since I have no plans to take future cruises on NCL I'm not really worried about what it will be though others may.

Sadly, you posted the "fact" about the amount TODAY...when it was no longer valid. You forget that there is a HUGE difference between "is" and "was". Much like the way you seem to be confusing "future" and "additional"...you obviously are going to take a "future" cruise (the one you paid the $12 pd/pp for), but you plan no "additional" cruises past that.

Though, if you keep practicing, you might get a spot with the cast of Burn the Floor.

The DSC (which isn't a tip) has been paid and the crew is happy and isn't expecting anything more although they are happy to accept tips.

Yet NCL clearly indicates the DSC (Discretionary Service Charge) is a gratuity. Most of us know a tip and a gratuity are basically the same thing.

Should I believe you or the cruise line? Gonna go with the cruise line Alex.....

Yet NCL clearly indicates the DSC (Discretionary Service Charge) is a gratuity. Most of us know a tip and a gratuity are basically the same thing.

Should I believe you or the cruise line? Gonna go with the cruise line Alex.....

It isn't a tip and it isn't a discretionary service and you well know it.

That you constantly try to infect people with this nonsense is truly disturbing.

Please, go back to your bridge.

Edited by luddite

You can tip anyone that you feel is deserving.

Except for Room Service. This isn't compensated by the DSC and while they are not gonna stand there with their hand out, they are expecting a tip.

Thank you! Very helpful *phew*

That you constantly try to infect people with this nonsense is truly disturbing.

Well across this side of the pond it is a tip, gratuity, call it what you like. The UK NCL web site clearly states that you can pre pay "gratuities"

If it isn't, then you are paying for the cruise, service by staff on the cruise and then be expected to tip - nonsense.

Sadly, you posted the "fact" about the amount TODAY...when it was no longer valid. You forget that there is a HUGE difference between "is" and "was". Much like the way you seem to be confusing "future" and "additional"...you obviously are going to take a "future" cruise (the one you paid the $12 pd/pp for), but you plan no "additional" cruises past that.

Though, if you keep practicing, you might get a spot with the cast of Burn the Floor.

Happily, once my future cruise with NCL is complete I won't have to read the snarky opinions from you and others as I won't be perusing the NCL boards since there will be no addition cruises with NCL. NCL's product is already low on the totem pole compared to other cruise lines and posts such as yours and others here make it an even less desirable product (actually, not desirable at all). Good job at driving that final nail into the coffin. :)

NCL isn't helping with the semantics since their website offers the choice of paid gratuities with ones booking.

Happily, once my future cruise with NCL is complete I won't have to read the snarky opinions from you and others as I won't be perusing the NCL boards since there will be no addition cruises with NCL. NCL's product is already low on the totem pole compared to other cruise lines and posts such as yours and others here make it an even less desirable product (actually, not desirable at all). Good job at driving that final nail into the coffin. :)

You don't strike me as the type of person that would let others dictate your actions in such a fashion, but fortunately you won't find any of this type of behavior onboard. :)

And everyone will be a little better off. Your inability to separate fantasy from reality and your insistence on posting incorrect information will be a boon for whatever forum is lucky enough to see you show up.

As for this one... nothing of value will have been lost.

Sorry. No time to read the whole thread because I am cleaning, packing etc for Sunday's sailing on the Epic.

But, I wanted to add this to the discussion. We booked through a large online agency. A few weeks ago we received the email regarding the increase in gratuities. Called the agency, added the prepaid gratuities and also added transfers.

Pre paying the gratuities bumped our insurance up $30 total. This didn't seem right to me but I was in no mood to throw a hissy fit over $30. We we pull have been better off to pay the increased gratuities onboard.

Sorry. No time to read the whole thread because I am cleaning, packing etc for Sunday's sailing on the Epic.

But, I wanted to add this to the discussion. We booked through a large online agency. A few weeks ago we received the email regarding the increase in gratuities. Called the agency, added the prepaid gratuities and also added transfers.

Pre paying the gratuities bumped our insurance up $30 total. This didn't seem right to me but I was in no mood to throw a hissy fit over $30. We we pull have been better off to pay the increased gratuities onboard.

Since you can get that amount back if you cancel the cruise it shouldn't be included in the amount covered by insurance so it shouldn't have made your insurance go up. If your TA is providing your insurance I'm afraid they may have pulled a fast one. (I wouldn't have a fit over $30 but I would certainly inquire about it.)

Edited by sparks1093

And everyone will be a little better off. Your inability to separate fantasy from reality and your insistence on posting incorrect information will be a boon for whatever forum is lucky enough to see you show up.

As for this one... nothing of value will have been lost.

My information is rarely incorrect, just different from your opinion. That doesn't make it wrong (except maybe to you).

Again, factually you are incorrect, NCL losing a customer is value lost (but in your opinion you consider yourself to be right but that doesn't matter to me in the slightest).

Edited by Out to sea!

You don't strike me as the type of person that would let others dictate your actions in such a fashion, but fortunately you won't find any of this type of behavior onboard. :)

No actually the type of behavior I see here is really just the straw (excuse) I need to say no to NCL. There are many reasons on board that cause me not to want to sail with them again. I find Carnival a much better product for the money spent and have only sailed NCL to discover what their product offered (and for 1 specific upcoming itinerary) and I find too many faults with the product to continue with it (I like to actually know what a company is like before I decide to stay or leave them). I will say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the service portion of NCL has never been at fault and I find their workers top notch folks.

Not having to listen in the future to the opinions of some of the NCL posters here is just an added benefit. :D

Edited by Out to sea!