Can Tampa Get Some Love?

FuturzMinion

Am I the only person that thinks Tampa should maybe get a new Fantasy class ship and a new Spirit class ship, both based year round? I know the Paradise is based year round, but I just don't feel like the Pride being seasonal is good enough. I absolutely loved when the Legend was based year round. Plus, if the Paradise doesn't get the 2.0 upgrades like it's supposed to, that is even more of a reason to change it with another one. Anyone agree?

Am I the only person that thinks Tampa should maybe get a new Fantasy class ship and a new Spirit class ship, both based year round? I know the Paradise is based year round, but I just don't feel like the Pride being seasonal is good enough. I absolutely loved when the Legend was based year round. Plus, if the Paradise doesn't get the 2.0 upgrades like it's supposed to, that is even more of a reason to change it with another one. Anyone agree?

you are not alone, I responded to another post about this. Tampa appeals to me as a cruise departure port, but I never seem to find a cruise that fits my vacation times nor my preferred itineraries and number of days. I prefer at least a 6 day cruise, but prefer 7 or 8 days, and so far I cant find that out of Tampa.

I am perfectly happy with fantasy class ship, but just prefer more than a 5 day sailing, and would love to go to Key West, then the Bahamas, and or Grand Turk.

Of course a Spirit class ship, of which there are way too few with Carnival would be preferable. A 7 day cruise on a Spirit class ship, I would do for the ship alone, itinerary would just be an extra

Edited by SMSACE6

you are not alone, I responded to another post about this. Tampa appeals to me as a cruise departure port, but I never seem to find a cruise that fits my vacation times nor my preferred itineraries and number of days. I prefer at least a 6 day cruise, but prefer 7 or 8 days, and so far I cant find that out of Tampa.

I am perfectly happy with fantasy class ship, but just prefer more than a 5 day sailing, and would love to go to Key West, then the Bahamas, and or Grand Turk.

Of course a Spirit class ship, of which there are way too few with Carnival would be preferable. A 7 day cruise on a Spirit class ship, I would do for the ship alone, itinerary would just be an extra

Yeah, I do want them to to an Eastern out of Tampa too... All of my cruises have been out of Tampa and to the Western Caribbean, so I am really bored with it. I'm going to have to go on Google Earth and see how many days an Eastern to Key West, Grand Turk and Nassau would be.

Yeah, I do want them to to an Eastern out of Tampa too... All of my cruises have been out of Tampa and to the Western Caribbean, so I am really bored with it. I'm going to have to go on Google Earth and see how many days an Eastern to Key West, Grand Turk and Nassau would be.

Tampa- 4PM

Key West- Noon-7PM

Sea Day

Grand Turk- 8AM-3PM

Half Moon Cay- 10AM-6PM

Nassau- 8AM-5PM

Sea Day

Tampa- 7AM

;)

Tampa- 4PM

Key West- Noon-7PM

Sea Day

Grand Turk- 8AM-3PM

Half Moon Cay- 10AM-6PM

Nassau- 8AM-5PM

Sea Day

Tampa- 7AM

;)

Perfect! :)

I would love this itin on a fantasy class or a spirit class from Tampa cruise port. :)

Edited by SMSACE6

Tampa- 4PM

Key West- Noon-7PM

Sea Day

Grand Turk- 8AM-3PM

Half Moon Cay- 10AM-6PM

Nassau- 8AM-5PM

Sea Day

Tampa- 7AM

;)

I like it, however I would trade out another Sea Day in exchange for Nassau (the blah-hamas)!

I think you'll be getting Miracle back.

Look for her in 2016.

And on a semi-related issue (regarding the Skyway Bridge) could it be feasible from an engineering standpoint that the whale tail on say like the Victory or Triumph be converted to the same scaled down versions as seen on Spirit class ships and allow clearance under the bridge?

If so, why not spend less money in doing that rather than coming up with a new "Spirit-like" design just to fit under the bridge?

DH and I sailed on the Legend out of Tampa in Nov. 2013 and loved it. We would love to see a newer ship like the Legend stationed there year around. It's only 40 minutes from our house to the Port of Tampa. As it is, we are now sailing on the NCL Star out of Tampa this coming November. Yes, Carnival, please bring back a new ship like the Legend or one even newer to Tampa so we don't have to drive all the way to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

The biggest problem with Tampa is, that is just another one of MANY port choices in Florida. And with the restrictions on the size of the ship that can sail from there its pretty close to the bottom of the list of Florida ports. (JAX would be the only other contender, which also has ship size issues due to a bridge.)

I mean Tampa really doesnt bring anything to the table compared to Miami, Ft. Launderdale, and Port Canaveral. I think that when Carnival does start retiring the Fantasy Class ships (and reducing the overall # of ships in the fleet) we will see ports like Jacksonville & Tampa being the first ones cut.

...I mean Tampa really doesnt bring anything to the table compared to Miami, Ft. Launderdale, and Port Canaveral...

On the contrary....Port Tampa Bay currently serves 4 major cruise lines - Carnival, RCCL, NCL, HAL and also port calls from other lines such as AIDA. As such I can only see the area thriving, despite the bridge issue with even that becoming a non-issue in some years to come.

Tampa's days as a major cruise port can be counted in less than 10 years. The bridge limits the size of ships that can pass under it and cruise ships are only getting larger. Carnival seems to like Australia and the West Coast for the Spirit class, and the Fantasy class will be retired over the next 10 years. It will be up to Tampa to step up and build a new port on the other side of the bridge.

I love sailing out of Tampa. I have never had an issue getting to/from the part. There are many affordable hotels to stay near the port and the airport is 15-20 minutes away.

With Southwest seeming thriving, Tampa is a pretty busy airport for them. Offering pretty cheap flights to northern states, Tampa is a huge destination for us in the north. I've flown to/from Tampa a few times now and never paid more than $200 for a roundtrip ticket! That makes cruising much more affordable.

I happen to love the Spirit class ships too. As long as they do 7 day itineraries form Tampa, I will continue to come back.

It has nothing to do with what Tampa, as a city, has to offer, or not. It's purely an engineering issue, having to do with the height of the bridge. When ships can no longer pass under the bridge, it's game over for Tampa.

On the contrary....Port Tampa Bay currently serves 4 major cruise lines - Carnival, RCCL, NCL, HAL and also port calls from other lines such as AIDA. As such I can only see the area thriving, despite the bridge issue with even that becoming a non-issue in some years to come.

Tampa may have 4 cruise lines that port there currently, but with older smaller ships.

And seriously how many cruise lines port in Miami, Ft. Launderdale, and Pt. Canveral. I gurantee its a heck of a lot more than 4 in all of them.

why can't you hop in your car and drive to port Canaveral. They offer plenty of different itineraries that are 7 days in length.:confused:

Bill

why can't you hop in your car and drive to port Canaveral. They offer plenty of different itineraries that are 7 days in length.:confused:

Bill

THAT'S exactly what I've been doing recently. LOVE "Paradise", but it appears that they're going to "upgrade" her to 2.0, which will ruin the entertainment aboard. When they all get upgraded, I'll move to another line I guess. :mad:

"SKY"

I live in Tampa and enjoy the cruising out of Port of Tampa but drive to Port of Miami for a lot better ships and Itinerary's to chose from. We in FL are spoiled with all the ports here

THAT'S exactly what I've been doing recently. LOVE "Paradise", but it appears that they're going to "upgrade" her to 2.0, which will ruin the entertainment aboard. When they all get upgraded, I'll move to another line I guess. :mad:

"SKY"

That seems like a pretty good alternative to me.

Certainly won't get much sympathy from me as we and most people have to fly to our cruise port.

I don't think an extra 2 hour drive is asking much.:)

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

I concur with OP! would love to see something other than Grand Cayman/Cozumel! We moved to Clearwater last July and have yet to find the right fit for a cruise out of our backyard (or back-bay, I should say :D)

Cruised this past November out of Miami and upcoming cruise is Miami.

On the bright side it only cost DH and I 151.00 round trip from TPA to MIA.