Anyone ever try celebrity or royal??

ajee622

I seem to be in your similar demographic - early 30s and looking for good cocktails and "nicer" surroundings while on vacation. I have sailed a couple times with Celebrity and loved it; I can't comment on the other lines or the gambling. Celebrity is classy all the way. If you spend time in Vegas, I'd compare the vibe to Aria or a slightly less fancy Wynn. Well-heeled folks, which tends to attract a certain age because successful people tend to be a bit older, but in my opinion not TOO old; all of my assigned table mates have been in their 40s and 50s. I'm not much for nightlife - more like a well-made craft cocktail or two before dinner, late seating dinner followed by a nightcap or two in a lounge, and in bed by 11:30. For me, Celebrity is perfect for that. If you want more nightclub energy late at night, you will probably be disappointed on Celebrity. Feeling "at home" is subjective - some people have commented that they found Celebrity to be a bit snobby; even though I have encountered nothing but warm service and friendly shipmates, I'd rather be a bit fancy than spend my hard-earned vacation time on low quality.

Sent using Tapatalk

Have been on both. We have found that celebrity is a cut above RCL. Service, food, staff etc. but really can't go wrong with Royal as we have been on 13 cruises with them. I doubt you would be disappointed

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cruise on on the Oasis and the allure only and I have decided after all the research I've done and it has been extensive I would never cruise any other ship including the quantum bigger is better. I don't even care that it goes to the same ports every time. You don't see anything there anyway unless you get in a car and go somewhere it's just rip-off shops. I just use that as an opportunity to get off the boat and take pictures of her. Cruising March 14 on Oasis again.

Tim

We tried it once and won't try it again. Two major problems will likely not concern most folks - we were on a norovirus cruise (The last announcement had 54 in infirmary, then they stopped "advertising" the problem) and we have food allergies in our party. The ship was beautiful and had some fun activities, but the passengers and crew and how issues were handled were horrendous.

As someone who had the same exact experience on our first Celebrity cruise, it is not fair to judge a whole cruise line by one cruise with norovirus. Dealing with the virus completely changes the dynamics for both the crew and passengers. We cruised Celebrity a couple more times to get a more fair assessment of the line, as should you before giving opinions in these discussions.

To the OP, we don't think of RCCL is a step up from Carnival. Celebrity is a step up, but the activities are toned down a bit and the crowd is a bit older. Personally we think Princess is a bit of a step up too.

I agree with Queenie for getting a suite on a newer ship to have different level experience. Personally we like Princess suites best, but Celebrity suites are also very enjoyable. And I agree with Queenie's warning that once you experience a suite, you won't want to go back.

Burt

Edited by Beachdude

Royal has the WORST kids program and for one reason only. If you want alot of alone time forget it. You can drop your lil ones off at 9am until 12pm then you MUST keep them until 2. Then drop off at 2pm (when ice show starts!) till 5pm. Then you MUST keep them till 7pm. Then late service is 7-10pm. We said on Liberty of the Seas just last Nov. All we did, was run kids back and forth and entertain them just as much as adventure ocean pretty much...we missed shows and any sort of "relaxation". We don't have family to take the kids for 5+ nights and yes, we adore our boys Ok....but this ruined our first ever cruise. We have been told with the other lines, u pick them up when u want....and drop them off a few min later after a quick lunch or swim...my wife doesn't care if she cruises ever again. How Royal is as popular as it is, baffles us. Plus Liberty is a nice ship but, it was built not long ago 2007/8 and its interior, after a "revitalization" looks tacky and very 1992. The MDR was amazing!!! with slightly annoying but caring server...

IMHO, what makes the upscale cruise lines truly nicer are the small details. We sailed on Holland America and Princess in 2013 and 2014 respectively, and the things that blew us away were the attention to detail and the overall quality. The fresh flowers throughout the ship, the room service served in china, the white gloved service, the laundry wrapped in tissue and delivered in wicker baskets, the unobtrusive announcements, the availability of upscale alternative dinning during daytime hours, the upgraded toiletries, the throw blankets for balcony use on chilly nights, the ultimate balcony dining experience with your personal waiter, the soothing classical music piped in throughout the ship, the more polished and refined service, etc.

If these are thing that are important to you, the an upscale cruise line may be for you.

Tapi,

Thanks for this beautifully detailed description of your HAL experience. My wife and I are planning to try HAL next year for the first time. After reading about all these "attention to detail" touches, I am more excited than ever to book a cruise as soon as their 2016 Summer itineraries open up!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Royal has the WORST kids program and for one reason only. If you want alot of alone time forget it. You can drop your lil ones off at 9am until 12pm then you MUST keep them until 2. Then drop off at 2pm (when ice show starts!) till 5pm. Then you MUST keep them till 7pm. Then late service is 7-10pm. We said on Liberty of the Seas just last Nov. All we did, was run kids back and forth and entertain them just as much as adventure ocean pretty much...we missed shows and any sort of "relaxation". We don't have family to take the kids for 5+ nights and yes, we adore our boys Ok....but this ruined our first ever cruise. We have been told with the other lines, u pick them up when u want....and drop them off a few min later after a quick lunch or swim...my wife doesn't care if she cruises ever again. How Royal is as popular as it is, baffles us. Plus Liberty is a nice ship but, it was built not long ago 2007/8 and its interior, after a "revitalization" looks tacky and very 1992. The MDR was amazing!!! with slightly annoying but caring server...

You COULD have kept them with you so there would have been no missed shows and no running back and forth.

I want to try a "nicer" cruise line. Obviously nice is subjective so I'm looking for opinions from people that are into the same.

Wife and I are early 30's. Like to drink and gamble. One thing I noticed is that royal has an actual poker table and not the electronic one. Big deal imo.

I just don't want to go on a cruise where the average age is 60.

Royal seems like a better overall fit. Any especially with their drink packages. Any thoughts??

I didn't dig into your posting history, but I assume by the other responses your past cruise experience is on Carnival.

I'm a former Carnival loyalist who made a big switch to RCI when Voyager Class was built. Yes, RCI is a big step up from Carnival in my opinion not only in their ship designs but also in service, activities, fellow passengers and especially with entertainment. Go on any Quantum, Oasis or Freedom Class (except Independence) ship and you'll see a full-run Broadway production - something you won't find on any Carnival ship. Plus, depending what ship you choose, the ice shows, Aqua Theater shows, and Two70 shows are excellent and blow away what Carnival offers. Oh, and RCI still has a full calypso band playing on the Lido, unlike the DJ on Carnival.

You said you don't want to go on a cruise where the average age is 60. In that case, I would avoid Celebrity. Celebrity is a similar demographic as Princess and HAL. I love all those lines by the way, but it sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

I didn't dig into your posting history, but I assume by the other responses your past cruise experience is on Carnival.

I'm a former Carnival loyalist who made a big switch to RCI when Voyager Class was built. Yes, RCI is a big step up from Carnival in my opinion not only in their ship designs but also in service, activities, fellow passengers and especially with entertainment. Go on any Quantum, Oasis or Freedom Class (except Independence) ship and you'll see a full-run Broadway production - something you won't find on any Carnival ship. Plus, depending what ship you choose, the ice shows, Aqua Theater shows, and Two70 shows are excellent and blow away what Carnival offers. Oh, and RCI still has a full calypso band playing on the Lido, unlike the DJ on Carnival.

You said you don't want to go on a cruise where the average age is 60. In that case, I would avoid Celebrity. Celebrity is a similar demographic as Princess and HAL. I love all those lines by the way, but it sounds like it's not your cup of tea.

What's the difference with the Independence???