Dolphins , which is best

nicjoel0114

Most people on this board recommends Chankanaab, which is located at the National Park. It's a LOT cheaper than doing it with the cruise line and you can sometimes find the deals where you purchase 1 swim and get the other for $1 or free. They also sometimes have kids under 10 for free.

However, just know that Carnival has a contract with them and in order for you to book outside of using Carnival, you have to tell them that either 1) you are staying at a hotel there on the island or 2) coming in on another cruise ship (which you can find out easily what other ships are in port with you that day). :)

There are 2 dolphin experiences on Cozumel. They are very, very different is some ways.

The Dolphinarius is a big fancy building downtown, the dolphins show is in a covered pool area with viewers sitting in a grandstand, there is an outdoor area for the dolphin swim. Think an area at SeaWorld in USA.

Chankanaab park is the other, and it is a Mexican amusement park, totally outdoors with all activities and animal encounters in the ocean in a fenced off area. Besides the dolphins, the park is huge with a beach area, a huge snorkeling area, 2 restaurants, a museum, a park, all types of rental equipment and things to do. There is an entry fee to get in, I think currently $22pp. But you are paying for a full amusement park. It is not a big fancy building like the other place, it is much more rustic and "Mexican" feel.

Edited by ABQrobin

What is the best way to get to Chankanaab from the ships? Taxi? I can see it is $21 USD to get in, how much is the manatee and dolphin discovery?

We will be coming in on Carnival Valor and will definitely book it directly with them instead of going through Carnival.

What is the best way to get to Chankanaab from the ships? Taxi? I can see it is $21 USD to get in, how much is the manatee and dolphin discovery?

We will be coming in on Carnival Valor and will definitely book it directly with them instead of going through Carnival.

I called their toll free number posted on their website, dolphindiscovery.com and talked to an agent for the bookings. She even threw in a free 15 minute Manatee encounter! For bookings made 45 days in advance, they offer 25% off and their packages include admission to the parks ($21 pp), buffet lunch with 2 non-alcoholic drinks, use of lockers, life vests etc. I received my confirmation by email and the printed confirmation is all that you need to present to the park.

The very nice agent that helped me was Patty and here is her email address:

pfragoso@dolphindiscovery.com

Their cancellation policy is that if the ship doesn't dock, then you can either get 90% of refund or a 1 year valid certificate for the same tour in any of their several locations in the Caribbean Islands.

Hope this helps.