Sick Passenger on Indy Feb 8-15

SASMITH

On the last day the crew was asking for guest to donate blood for someone on board. Then later that night the captain kicked in the afterburners and was traveling 23.7 to 24.2 knots all the way back to Ft. Lauderdale arriving around 2am in order to get the sick passenger additional medical help. Does anyone know the status of this passenger? I hope he gets better and is well soon.

That happened on one of our Freedom cruises as well, everyone ran down to the clinic when they called for donors, but by the time we got there, there were over 50 people crowding the hallway to give blood....Made me a little misty. Cruisers are wonderful people! They did helivac our passenger to Cozumel that afternoon.

donate blood on a cruise ship???

i can understand the donate part although do they have appropriate resources to store and test said donated blood?

and forgive me if i'm wrong, doesn't it need to be tested up and down, back and forth, before it's transfused in to someone else???

i love the idea of the passengers banding together but this doesn't seem 'right'...

i can understand the donate part although do they have appropriate resources to store and test said donated blood?

and forgive me if i'm wrong, doesn't it need to be tested up and down, back and forth, before it's transfused in to someone else???

i love the idea of the passengers banding together but this doesn't seem 'right'...

I think if someone is bleeding to death you give them blood first and worry about those other things later.

i guess if someone's bleeding to death, i would hope for a surgeon or i guess all that donated blood is going to waste.

since the OP said the helicopter didn't come, i guess it wasn't that dire!! thank goodness!

No helicopter but the OP did say they hauled butt back to Ft Lauderdale. They don't ask for donors unless they're dealing with a true emergency..............

This happened to us on the Jan 25 sailing on Celebrity Silhouette. Except they were more specific. They made one ship-wide announcement asking for O positive. They wanted only young male donors with current donor cards. No further anniuncements were ever made

I don't know what the procedure is but there was an emergency that required blood, the Cpt asked for universal donors and they got plenty... I am O+, my hubby A+. We have video of the helicopter.

It may be that they pre-screened or wanted only those with donor cards, but they got what they needed. And since there are several posters on here who attest to it, I don't doubt that it happens more frequently than one would imagine. The Cpt came back on with a cease and desist request stating he was thankful but no one else need appear!

My hubby remembers there was talk that the person had some kind of internal bleeding, not confirmed. If it happened to me or my loved one, I wouldn't be asking questions. Life with some disease or imminent death??? I'll take my chances. Besides, everyone filled out their illness questionnaire, right:)

Edited by BecciBoo

This happened to us on the Jan 25 sailing on Celebrity Silhouette. Except they were more specific. They made one ship-wide announcement asking for O positive. They wanted only young male donors with current donor cards. No further anniuncements were ever made

I was on that cruise but did not hear that announcement. That is my blood type.

I've never gotten a donor card either. Infact, the only donor card I have is the sticker on my driver's license saying that I am an organ donor. I wonder where you get them?

Excuse me if I am misunderstanding your question.

What people are talking about is a "blood donor card", it is an identification card that the blood services organization in your area gives you after you have donated blood. Usually it shows your name, what your blood type is and when you last donated blood.

Recently was on a Celebrity cruise and we had several calls for donors. This was a 24 day transit. First call I responded with card in hand. We were 3 hrs out in HNL. Blood was never needed. Week or so later another call for donors, during dinner service. Responded, was selected for typing, only 7 passengers had responded ahead of me. Blood was drawn a very efficient professional team. The Captain was in the medical center assisting. After being typed returned to the waiting room and sat with a couple of people waiting to be released. Spoke with an elderly gentleman who was the Rabbi on the transit. The blood was needed for the his wife . Unfortunately she passed away, transfusions would not have helped

If you are a blood donor, please carry your donor card.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by kiwimum

Would have thought that they would have wanted O- since it is the universal blood donor. O+ is the universal recipient and most people do not know their blood type. However I would assume that the ship would have the ability to type and cross match a patient's type.

Edited by Snobe

The ACEP requires ship infirmaries to have basic blood testing equipment, including testing for HIV.

Would have thought that they would have wanted O- since it is the universal blood donor. O+ is the universal recipient and most people do not know their blood type. However I would assume that the ship would have the ability to type and cross match a patient's type.

Incorrect. AB+ is the universal receiver.

You can learn your blood type for under $10 and a few minutes with an Eldon Card. You can purchase them from many online locations and most medical stores. I imagine the ship carries them in the infirmary. The kits are self-contained with everything you need to do the test except a few drops of water and your blood. :)

From: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCL_2013_Sustainability_Report.pdf

In 2013, we completed the third full year of our blood transfusion program, often a lifesaving program that requires strict storage and testing requirements. Since the blood transfusion program began, we have administered blood to 44 patients. In 2013, we administered fresh whole blood to 13 guests who were at risk of death from severe bleeding. All 13 guests survived to be evacuated from the ship and then received further treatment ashore. In 2013, we presented our clinical results to an international medical conference on military and civilian trauma and were asked to write several articles on our program for publication in international medical journals.

They can and do collect, test, and transfuse blood on board.

The ACEP requires ship infirmaries to have basic blood testing equipment, including testing for HIV.

Not sure how this applies, since the ships are not US flag, and the doctors are not required to be licensed in the US. The only organizations that might apply to the cruise ships are the IMO and WHO. Do they have these requirements?