UBP - why no coffee?

garnet115

Although coffee is less expensive than alcohol. Perhaps NCL's thinking is if coffee, lattes, and cappucinos were included the bartenders (who are also the baristas) at the bars that serve these products would be overwhelmed. I'm sure it also comes down to dollars ans sense. Why gives something for free if passangers are willing to pay extra. Celebrity's drink packages not only include coffee, espresso, Lattes, and Cappuccino. They also include unlimited bottles of water in both 16oz and 32oz sizes. As well as power smoothies.

Thank you for asking, I am also curious about this. On the similar note for our kids who will get the soda package from the promotion, do they include juice? Can you even purchase juice outside of restaurants?

Soda package just includes soda.

Celebrity's drink packages not only include coffee, espresso, Lattes, and Cappuccino. They also include unlimited bottles of water in both 16oz and 32oz sizes. As well as power smoothies.

Exactly! These see like such easy things to include and keep everyone happy.

Exactly! These see like such easy things to include and keep everyone happy.

Many people think Celebrity gives more, because their fares are higher. That is not always the case. Last year I sailed on Celebrity Summit. My fare was $500.00 less than Breakaway for same week and included the free Classic Drink package. Complete with fresh squeezed juice, specialty coffees, bottled water.

I agree the drink package should include specialty coffee and tea. I would never purchase the ultimate drink package unless it also included coffee, that would make it worthwhile otherwise its not worth the money for us. We always enjoyed the drink package on Celebrity too, it covered most anything you would want.

Were traveling ont he Breakaway with 11 children who all received the free soda package and none of them drink soda. Wishing NCL would give the little ones more choices too.

*****"ATTENTION NCL"*****

So the definitive answer PLEASE !

Any NCL bean counting "make it happen" front office executives perusing this

forum get your team together and just "DO IT" ! You have made UBP UDP and

a variety of other programs to the overwhelming satisfaction of your loyal

cruisers clientele why not just "DO IT" ?

It is expected that cruise fares are going to go up and up so if the program

costs a few dollars more put it into play and make it happen !

Forum readers - if this is in your interests drop a note off to the crew on your

next cruise. Comment when and where you can to NCL officials about your

interest in having specialty coffees added to the UBP or create a new UCP -

(Ultimate Coffee Package) for those not so much into the alcohol scene.

With enough critic and commentary it is possible for this to happen - this does

not fall into a category of rocket science -

"OK Captain this is Juan Valdez turn this ship around and head for a coffee

producing country where your clients and crew can get their fill of coffee " !

No 'definitive answer', but I think the reasoning here is that the Lavazza coffee is a sub-contract like the photography, duty free and some other offerings. Therefore, the coffee company takes a chunk of every specialty cup sold which NCL would have to pay if it were included in the UBP.

I understand you can get a regular coffee with whiskey (Irish) or other liquor, just not a Lavazza specialty drink.

No 'definitive answer', but I think the reasoning here is that the Lavazza coffee is a sub-contract like the photography, duty free and some other offerings. Therefore, the coffee company takes a chunk of every specialty cup sold which NCL would have to pay if it were included in the UBP.

I understand you can get a regular coffee with whiskey (Irish) or other liquor, just not a Lavazza specialty drink.

Please provide a source to Lavazza coffee machines being a sub contracted like spa and photography services. More likely NCL entered into an agreement to make Lavazza their exclusive vendor for premium coffee. They pay Lavazza for the beans and sell the coffee on the ship. Same way they entered into an agreement with Pepsico to make Pepsi products the exclusive soda beverage sold onboard.

Edited by NYcruzzer

Please provide a source to Lavazza coffee machines being a sub contracted like spa and photography services. More likely NCL entered into an agreement to make Lavazza their exclusive vendor for premium coffee. They pay Lavazza for the beans and sell the coffee on the ship. Same way they entered into an agreement with Pepsico to make Pepsi products the exclusive soda beverage sold onboard.

Speaking of Pepsi....anyone know when that contract is up? Them serving Pepsi is the biggest mark against NCL IMHO. Pepsi and Bourbon is a terrible combo. I really wish they would make the switch to Coke.

6&8

Does anyone know why NCL doesn't include specialty coffees in the UBP? They are cheaper than the included alcoholic drinks, so why not throw them in? I am genuinely curious if anyone knows the rationale!

IMO it is because the coffee costs NCL a lot more than an alcoholic beverage. A simple mixed drink probably costs NCL about 50 cents, whereas a coffee with all the stuff dumped in it probably costs them closer to $1.50.

IMO it is because the coffee costs NCL a lot more than an alcoholic beverage. A simple mixed drink probably costs NCL about 50 cents, whereas a coffee with all the stuff dumped in it probably costs them closer to $1.50.

It does not cost them $1.50 to make a coffee, espresso, Latte, or Cappuccino. Only "stuff" added to the last two are milk. I'm not saying the UDP should include specialty coffee drinks with alcohol.