Convince me to get off the ship in Costa Maya. :-)

loopner

How much does it cost to rent snorkel equipment at Blue Kay? This sounds like the perfect spot for me. I've never been snorkeling before and I want to give it a try. But I'm also nervous about it.

May I suggest, since you haven't snorkeled before, that you look into testing out masks and snorkels and the experience in a pool prior to going on your cruise. Additionally, as there's no way of knowing what the water conditions(waves, tidal flow, wind etc.) will be on the day you're in Costa Maya, you may wish to look into a ship sponsored snorkel excursion that is geared toward beginners or says no experience needed. The excursion will include mask, snorkel, fins and a snorkel float vest. More importantly, there'll be a guide or guides who can assist you and work with you so you don't get into trouble. Ship snorkels in Costa Maya usually head up north of the cruise port to some less crowded beaches than the malecon.

How much does it cost to rent snorkel equipment at Blue Kay? This sounds like the perfect spot for me. I've never been snorkeling before and I want to give it a try. But I'm also nervous about it.

They have a package for $20 that includes all the snorkeling equipment, use of their bikes to ride up and down the malecon, and use of their kayaks.

Snorkeling here is super easy and the water is shallow. It's the perfect place to try it out. If you read my post a few above this one, you'll see that you can practice right there along the beach and find plenty of fish and things there where the rocks are.

If you are having problems, just stand up. :D You can stand up in most areas at this place for pretty far out with no worries.

This part of the Malecon is not very crowded at all and the beach is a lot bigger than most you'll find along the Malecon as well. Most people do not know about this place unless they have read about it on here and most cruisers head to an AI for drinking like Nohoch Kay, or Tropicante or some place like Senior Frogs.

Just my opinion, but this is the perfect place to start and I would never waste a bunch of money on a sponsored excursion (because we all know how expensive they are) and a sponsored excursion is going to take you out into the deep water where you can't reach the bottom. ;)

If you can swim well snorkeling is a piece of cake. The key is that deeper water is better. You really don't want to snorkel in water less than about 5 feet because you kick the bottom and have to lay too flat. (of course if you are a good swimmer laying flat is no big deal.)