Full or half day tours

paddingtonbear

Hi

We will be going on our first cruises: British Isles Cruise this year and next year an Alaska cruise. Both are described as "port intensive".

Is it wise to plan full day self organised tours in each port or will that mean we'll be too tired mentally (sensory overload etc) and physically to enjoy dinner and the night time entertainment on the ship?

I don't want to sit around doing nothing but I don't want to run myself ragged either. How do you organise a happy medium?

It's not really simply a matter of returning to the ship early if it gets too much as we will have pre paid for some attractions and sometimes we will be on organised tours. So any advice or helpful hints from experienced cruisers would be welcome.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi, It's a difficult decision choosing tours. Yes the UK is port intensive. We live in UK and do cruises out of southampton and many are port intensive. my feeling is that you have payed to live on the ship for however long so we tend only to to half day tours with princess so we don't have to pay again to eat on shore!. I would search for reviews on the cruise you doing and decide from there what you really wish to see. A lot can probably be done on your own. There was a really good review of a UK tour on here but can't remember the name of the person....I'm sure someone will ......I too would not spend a whole day doing things , my cruise is my relaxation....I can always return on another cruise..wishful thinking lol

Personally I always feel that while the longer tours are more expensive I think I get much more value for my dollar. On most of the short "overview" tours in the $39-$59 range I feel that I way overpaid. On the $100+ tours I feel that I got more for my money and they were worth the extra cash. This is my experience for any port, not just one specific area.

That said if you can book excursions with local vendors rather than thru the cruise line you also get more value for your money, usually a smaller group, longer time and more sights.

I think it all depends on what you want to do and see. There may be some long days, but it needn't be the case for all ports.

Obviously, if you keep a frenetic pace up you will be frazzled by the end of the cruise. So, I would moderate the touring on some days.

As for sitting around and doing nothing, that is part of a vacation too. there is nothing wrong with dropping off for a nap or to read or just to sit and listen to music in the atrium.

On our next cruise we will have long days in Holland andFrance. Otherwise, the days will be shorter-and we will have 6 sea days to rest up on our way to Florida.

That is the best way to go-hit the ports early and relax on the tail end.

Very exciting to plan first cruises. Port intensive generally means many ports with few sea days, rather than the intensity of the port activities. Although, If you plan on hiking, biking, sea kayaking, etc, at each port then it will be intense. I use the ship tours as a guide to help decide what I want to see and how long tours might take. Alternating full day and 1/2 day excursions when there are few sea days works well. Also, as most sailaways are 4-6p.m. with all aboard about an hour before, later dinner allows nap time and relaxed cocktail hour on the busy days. Of course, sea days are for no schedules and plenty of time to just watch the ocean go by. Enjoy!

My wife and I have tried both--mostly half day and mostly full day tours. We have found the half day tours to be more satisfying. We like to do morning tours when it is cooler (in warm climates of course) and then spend the afternoons relaxing on the ship. The ships are very different when most of the passengers are ashore. Also, all day tours can be very exhausting and any activity after dinner is pretty much out of the question. Plus, I really don't like paying for lunch when I've already paid for my meals on the ship.

With rare exception, we have stopped doing full day marathon tours, especially those involving long bus rides.

We have found it best on any cruise to balance intensive tours (length or activity level) with shorter, more relaxed days, alternating if possible. That way we avoid burnout during the cruise (having experienced it a couple of times). The DIY days can be great for this.

One thing we have found is that relaxing and enjoying observing the local culture can be more rewarding than scurrying around to see all the sights. We have been told by waiters that we are the rare tourist, and several have gone on to appreciate us, even to the point of offering local specialties, gratis, just because we aren't the "ugly American" who looks, but does not see.

Hi

We will be going on our first cruises: British Isles Cruise this year and next year an Alaska cruise. Both are described as "port intensive".

Is it wise to plan full day self organised tours in each port or will that mean we'll be too tired mentally (sensory overload etc) and physically to enjoy dinner and the night time entertainment on the ship?

I don't want to sit around doing nothing but I don't want to run myself ragged either. How do you organise a happy medium?

It's not really simply a matter of returning to the ship early if it gets too much as we will have pre paid for some attractions and sometimes we will be on organised tours. So any advice or helpful hints from experienced cruisers would be welcome.

I have never done a British Isles tour but I did Alaska last year. IMO Alaska is all about the scenery and wildlife. I took all day tours and was not too tired. I would never plan on coming back to the ship for lunch. I love trying the local food and in Alaska the salmon and King Crab is not to be missed!

Enjoy!

Sue

Hi

We've done the British Isles and the Grand Med and this year will be Alaska with a cruise tour portion. The past couple trips we've adopted the philosophy of alternating tour plans. If there's something that calls for a long day or at least an early start, then we pick something only half day or later in the day start for the next day.

We've done the British Isles and the Grand Med and this year will be Alaska with a cruise tour portion. The past couple trips we've adopted the philosophy of alternating tour plans. If there's something that calls for a long day or at least an early start, then we pick something only half day or later in the day start for the next day.

A very wise approach.

It depends on what you want to get out of the cruise and your endurance.

If you are visiting places (ports) you have never seen before and are unlikely to return, you may with to make the most of the opportunities and do activities which will occupy most of the port time.

What have you picked for dinner time? Early traditional (around 6 PM), late traditional (around 8 PM) or Anytime? You want to avoid early traditional so you do not have to rush to get ready for dinner.

I would join the Cruise Critic roll calls for your cruises ( http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=28 ) and see what private excursions others have planned that might interest you. As these are your first cruises, I would either join excursions those on your roll calls have organized or take Princess excursions. Organizing your own private excursions can also be tiring.

Edited by caribill

It depends on what you want to get out of the cruise and your endurance.

If you are visiting places (ports) you have never seen before and are unlikely to return, you may with to make the most of the opportunities and do activities which will occupy most of the port time.

What have you picked for dinner time? Early traditional (around 6 PM), late traditional (around 8 PM) or Anytime? You want to avoid early traditional so you do not have to rush to get ready for dinner.

I would join the Cruise Critic roll calls for your cruises ( http://www.cruisecritic.com/rollcalls/?cruise_line_id=28 ) and see what private excursions others have planned that might interest you. As these are your first cruises, I would either join excursions those on your roll calls have organized or take Princess excursions. Organizing your own private excursions can also be tiring.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful advice. I will go through our day to day plans and see where they can be modified to ensure we have some relaxation.

Caribill,

I have joined the roll call. I can't face the cost of Princess excursions.

I haven't decided which dining to do. I guess we were leaning towards fairly late anytime. However, I have heard from others that traditional might be the way to go for first timers. So thank you for confirming that for us.