Fort Lauderdale vs Miami

angeleyez915

I am a resident of Ohio and will be flying into Fort Lauderdale airport for our May 23rd cruise on the Breeze out of Miami. My two boys (ages 16 and 7) will be with me. We will be flying into Fort Lauderdale two days before the cruise. I would like ideas, opinions, etc on where would be better to stay for those two days before the cruise - Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

- Hotels?

- Kid Friendly activites close to Hotels?

- Best/safest/inexepensive means of transportation while in Florida prior to the cruise?

Looking forward to all of the exciting ideas and responses! Oh, I have never been to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami

My vote would be Fort Lauderdale.

It has a nice beach (weather permitting). Also quite a few other attractions. Relatively easy to get around.

You could rent a car at the airport and return it in Miami. Quick trip from your hotel to Miami.

Have a great cruise

I would focus on the FLL area - it is more family friendly (IMHO) and hotels are generally cheaper than comparable properties in Miami/Miami Beach.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info. I would focus on hotels close to the beach (great for kids of all ages) and water taxi.

SAS (http://www.ridesas.com), QLS, MJS, Go Airport and others can shuttle the 4 of you from the FLL area to POM for about $15 per person; with 4 you could also spend a little bit more for a cab or private car service (Go Airport offered private car service for about $90 - a cab on the meter will run about $75-80). The same transportation options will get you back to FLL after your cruise - I would not book a flight earlier than about noon to be safe.

Good luck! :)

I would focus on the FLL area - it is more family friendly (IMHO) and hotels are generally cheaper than comparable properties in Miami/Miami Beach.

www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and lodging info. I would focus on hotels close to the beach (great for kids of all ages) and water taxi.

SAS (www.ridesas.com), QLS, MJS, Go Airport and others can shuttle the 4 of you from the FLL area to POM for about $15 per person; with 4 you could also spend a little bit more for a cab or private car service (Go Airport offered private car service for about $90 - a cab on the meter will run about $75-80). The same transportation options will get you back to FLL after your cruise - I would not book a flight earlier than about noon to be safe.

Good luck! :)

There is just the 3 of us - single mom here :) which is another reason looking for safe and kid friendly. thank you for all the ideas - I will definitely be doing so research tonight. Any more ideas that anyone else can give will be greatly appreciated as well!!

John

what family friendly activities can you recommend from a Fort L hotel location?

OR

Stay in a hotel in Miami and close to Metrorail / Metro Mover and you can visit ZooMiami via public transportation .... Miami Seaquarium is accessable by bus . .

or boat rides past the 'mansions' from BaySide . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ