What's Norwegian wine rules?

barbaragrace

Having just sailed Norwegian again, but for the first time getting the drink package as part of our suite deal, we found that in no way did we even come close to drinking as much as the package would have cost if we had paid for it separately...about $52 per day (which meant we would of each had to of consumed over 7 drinks a day :eek:). The corkage fee of $15/bottle is really nothing since you consider that a 15% gratuity is added to all drinks served on the ship.

The bonus side for us bringing is wine is that my husband makes and bottles his own, so really we only pay $3 per bottle to make high quality wine (compares to the $30 to $40 bottles)...and $15 for someone to open them for us. :)

But what wine are you going to drink after day 2? I would find it very hard to stretch 2 bottles over a 7 day cruise. Sure, they didn't charge for the 2 bottles, but after day 2 you have to purchase wine from them.

Given the wines I buy on land compared to the selection and prices on the ship, $15 corkage each is a bargain.

We have found on both NCL and Celebrity wines priced in the $30 price range (onboard)that meet our needs. Typically, those wines would cost $10-15 purchased in a liquor or grocery store. Add the $15, we would be paying about the same as onboard.

Futher, no hassles with hauling large amounts of wine through security, etc.

I know very, very few persons that bring large quantities of wine on board.

Also, we are elite on Celebrity and enjoy a free happy hour (5-7pm) every day, so our paid wine consumption is not huge.

• 2 weeks later...
so, let's say I bring 2 bottles. how do they keep a record of that and how do they charge you? your on board account I assume?

They charge your account when you embark and put a sticker on the bottles to show that you've paid the corkage.

we found that in no way did we even come close to drinking as much as the package would have cost if we had paid for it separately

Everyone is different, that's for sure. The UBP is useless to some, and great for others.

which meant we would of each had to of consumed over 7 drinks a day

I usually have 7 drinks down by 11am :D:D:D

On our last NCL cruises, we purchase wine locally and bring it onboard and pay the $15.00 corkage fee.

If you look at a bottle for an average of $25.OO plus gratuties, it is a better deal.

Obviously if you fly in, you need to get to a store to purchase the wine and take it onboard with you.

We do not drink anything but wine so we have liked doing this.

People bring cases of water on which is amazing to see.