Where have all the Sommeliers gone?

Lacaena

On our recent cruise on the Sunshine my DH and I were looking for a wine tasting, it is usually hosted and "taught" by the sommelier. We have done this before on previous Carnival cruises and have really enjoyed it. I didn't see it listed in the Fun Times all week. And upon reflection I realized that I didn't see a sommelier anywhere all week, and we dined in the Steakhouse twice. Has Carnival done away with them?

Thanks!

I noticed that in December on the Breeze. We had a bar waiter during dinner who was great, but we would have really liked to have had a sommelier because we bought the wine package. Would have been nice to hear a little color on our options.

There is a fleet wide wine list, of the wines on the ship. It's,bought by the tractor trailer loads. I think they have,a private label house wine. So it's not like you have 100's of wines to chose from. Your on a ship having a vacation. If you want great food and wine, ships are not the place for that. Just have go with the flow

There is a fleet wide wine list, of the wines on the ship. It's,bought by the tractor trailer loads. I think they have,a private label house wine. So it's not like you have 100's of wines to chose from. Your on a ship having a vacation. If you want great food and wine, ships are not the place for that. Just have go with the flow

Thats a rather large brush you're using there.

Not to hijack my own thread, but... I have to disagree with this. Our experience with food on ships has been, on the whole, very good. Despite the fact that I think the food in the MDR is going downhill the specialty restaurants are still outstanding. And that's only on Carnival. Reports from other lines, especially luxury lines, are that the food is second to none.

And, I do go with the flow. This is a forum to ask questions and speculate on things. Just because I wonder about something doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to go with the flow.

On our recent cruise on the Sunshine my DH and I were looking for a wine tasting, it is usually hosted and "taught" by the sommelier. We have done this before on previous Carnival cruises and have really enjoyed it. I didn't see it listed in the Fun Times all week. And upon reflection I realized that I didn't see a sommelier anywhere all week, and we dined in the Steakhouse twice. Has Carnival done away with them?

Thanks!

Have not had one in 4 years, it was Celebrity.

Not to hijack my own thread, but... I have to disagree with this. Our experience with food on ships has been, on the whole, very good. Despite the fact that I think the food in the MDR is going downhill the specialty restaurants are still outstanding. And that's only on Carnival. Reports from other lines, especially luxury lines, are that the food is second to none.

And, I do go with the flow. This is a forum to ask questions and speculate on things. Just because I wonder about something doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to go with the flow.

Thanks!

Yes it is very sad in my eyes that Carnival has been phasing out the Sommelier, most are gone, the one I know for sure has one is the ship in Australia, Debbie is still there.