Change of plan

Looks lovely Stevie - sure you'll have a great time. :)

For the first time in many years we're doing a land based holiday this year too. We're really looking forward to it - it will make a nice change and what's more we've just gone for B&B so that we can be totally flexible and try out some of the local eating places and go out on excursions during the day without necessarily having to get back for evening meal (or sail aways!) So something very different for us and you this year. But I don't think we'll give up on cruising though - too hooked! :rolleyes:

Looks lovely Stevie - sure you'll have a great time. :)

For the first time in many years we're doing a land based holiday this year too. We're really looking forward to it - it will make a nice change and what's more we've just gone for B&B so that we can be totally flexible and try out some of the local eating places and go out on excursions during the day without necessarily having to get back for evening meal (or sail aways!) So something very different for us and you this year. But I don't think we'll give up on cruising though - too hooked! :rolleyes:

omg :eek:Kruzee not cruising, what will we do about your detailed reviews ?

then I shall have to venture forth myself :confused: and as it will be our Pearl anninvers (is that 10 yrs :rolleyes:) so push the boat out :cool:

Stevie

Steve, your hotel looks lovely. Kruzseeka, I hope you enjoy the change that a land-based holiday will bring.

I worked hard for years and usually had one holiday a year, sometimes 2. Since retirement for the past 3 years, DH and I have done a cruise and stay and so combined the best of both worlds.

My daughter, grandson and I have had a couple of bargain self catering Greek island holidays and enjoyed trying the local restaurants.

This year DH and I are cruising the Baltic for 13 days with quite a few days at sea ....so a new experience to look forward to. We might even make St Petersburg if the Russians behave themselves. Oh, and my sister is moving to Spain in April...... Variety and travelling is great. And so is retirement.

You can say that again Jakanne!

All the time I worked we took touring caravan holidays. If anyone had told me ten years ago that I would have been to some of the places we've been to since retiring I wouldn't have believed them! Of course, cruising lets you pack in a lot of destinations in a short time but I can't tell you what a joy it has been to visit some of the places I'd only ever heard about. And talk about travel broadening the mind - it's been such an education as well as good fun.

Yes we're off to Greece so I'm looking forward to trying out some tavernas and taking a very relaxed approach to each day. It will be something quite different for us.

As for your Baltic cruise I'm sure you will be blown away by it - not just St P but the other destinations have such variety and charm - it's a real winner. Enjoy! :)

Edited by kruzseeka

All the time I worked we took touring caravan holidays. If anyone had told me ten years ago that I would have been to some of the places we've been to since retiring I wouldn't have believed them! Of course, cruising lets you pack in a lot of destinations in a short time but I can't tell you what a joy it has been to visit some of the places I'd only ever heard about. And talk about travel broadening the mind - it's been such an education as well as good fun.

Yes we're off to Greece so I'm looking forward to trying out some tavernas and taking a very relaxed approach to each day. It will be something quite different for us.

As for your Baltic cruise I'm sure you will be blown away by it - not just St P but the other destinations have such variety and charm - it's a real winner. Enjoy! :)

I love Greece. We sometimes stayed in 4/5* hotels but always went out in the evening and enjoyed the tavernas and restaurants. Missing them right now. You might find the food a lot different to cruise food though. Are you staying on the mainland or one of the islands?

We were the same camping then touring caravanning round the UK throughout 1970's till 2012 when we had the holiday of a lifetime on a Titan tour across Canada by train Toronto to Banff, then picking up the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver. Then Jan 13 we discovered cruising going on the Dream to the Caribbean, and can't seem to stop for some reason. Love all the new places, the ships, the whole package. Long may it continue. Our last foreign land based holiday was in Greece when we were in our 40's and still have some good memories, but for us cruising is the way we want to go for as long as we can.

I love Greece. We sometimes stayed in 4/5* hotels but always went out in the evening and enjoyed the tavernas and restaurants. Missing them right now. You might find the food a lot different to cruise food though. Are you staying on the mainland or one of the islands?

Santorini! :)

Quite excited really as we've loved visiting but only been to Oia so the prospects of taking our time to wander with no time constraints, explore more of the island, have leisurely evening meals and see the sunsets is just going to be so different and a pleasure. We're planning to use local buses to get around the island, visit the archaeological museum and resorts on the 'flat' side of the island, perhaps go across to the volcano so something new to experience. The food will be very different to that on cruises I'm sure but we'll test out the local fare and experiment a bit - that will be quite interesting too! ;)

We were the same camping then touring caravanning round the UK throughout 1970's till 2012 when we had the holiday of a lifetime on a Titan tour across Canada by train Toronto to Banff, then picking up the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver. Then Jan 13 we discovered cruising going on the Dream to the Caribbean, and can't seem to stop for some reason. Love all the new places, the ships, the whole package. Long may it continue. Our last foreign land based holiday was in Greece when we were in our 40's and still have some good memories, but for us cruising is the way we want to go for as long as we can.

I can totally identify with your sentiments gill. That's exactly what happened to us and I confess we're hooked. This will be our first land based holiday (apart from a few city breaks) for about ten years - but we're still looking at cruises! ;)

As you say, long may it last!

Edited by kruzseeka

Santorini! :)

Quite excited really as we've loved visiting but only been to Oia so the prospects of taking our time to wander with no time constraints, explore more of the island, have leisurely evening meals and see the sunsets is just going to be so different and a pleasure. We're planning to use local buses to get around the island, visit the archaeological museum and resorts on the 'flat' side of the island, perhaps go across to the volcano so something new to experience. The food will be very different to that on cruises I'm sure but we'll test out the local fare and experiment a bit - that will be quite interesting too! ;)

I should have guessed it would be Santorini. :) Santorini was our first port of call on our first cruise and I printed out your recommendations on how to DIY. DH however, was a bit nervous about it and insisted we did the Thomson excursion. I was up on deck as Majesty sailed into the caldera, before the sun came up over the cliffs, so excited and taking lots of photos. It's a lovely island and I thought at the time I would like to spend more time there. You might also be able to catch a ferry to a nearby island so you get a cruise as well. :)

I should have guessed it would be Santorini. :) Santorini was our first port of call on our first cruise and I printed out your recommendations on how to DIY. DH however, was a bit nervous about it and insisted we did the Thomson excursion. I was up on deck as Majesty sailed into the caldera, before the sun came up over the cliffs, so excited and taking lots of photos. It's a lovely island and I thought at the time I would like to spend more time there. You might also be able to catch a ferry to a nearby island so you get a cruise as well. :)

That's just what we are doing in May with Saga on a 14 night tour.

7 nights on Santorini, 4 nights on Paros and 3 nights on Naxos, using local ferries between the islands. The tour is called "A taste of the Greek Islands".

Can't wait to sample the Lamb Kleftico and the Beef Stifado again. It's been a while since we had a land holiday in Greece.

That's just what we are doing in May with Saga on a 14 night tour.

7 nights on Santorini, 4 nights on Paros and 3 nights on Naxos, using local ferries between the islands. The tour is called "A taste of the Greek Islands".

Can't wait to sample the Lamb Kleftico and the Beef Stifado again. It's been a while since we had a land holiday in Greece.

Sounds absolutely fabulous Malch........... have a great time. ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/21207_10153139589450917_5245973567143651273_n.jpg?oh=a33154d9ad4e3a3a9fe6e2b2b38774e4&oe=55923710&__gda__=1431497425_a88c11eeb8972aa6381fe5201f7c3c6a

Sorry dear peeps could not resist because I think they are just so natural pics and not posed, and the B & W sets it off (not taken by me :( )

Stevie

Been to that hotel very nice. Quite large lovely beach if you go out the hotel right and walk along to where the shopping centre is

we have cancelled our December cruise and booked hotel Eden in Croatia.

Been to that hotel very nice. Quite large lovely beach if you go out the hotel right and walk along to where the shopping centre is

we have cancelled our December cruise and booked hotel Eden in Croatia.

We went to the hotel Eden a few year ago. It was very nice and Rovinj is beautiful. We love Croatia.