Would you upgrade from balcony to mini suite on gem

Vacationlover2

You guys were so helpful with my upgrade from inside to balcony yesterday that I am asking your opinion again.

Would you upgrade from a family balcony to a minisuite on a gem 9 night cruise for $500?

We always do a mini because we like the larger bathroom. The room itself will not be any different for the most part. The differences are in the bathroom.

If i remember correctly you just paid $800 to get to the balcony. If you do this change as well you are now paying $1300 more then you originally booked for. Do what works with your budget.

I think there were 4 of you in the room, so the bigger bathroom might be nice because the small bathrooms in the balcony dont have much room for changing clothes, so that might be something to consider. Also if you are very large the bigger bathroom might be more comfortable.

6&8

I would always want a mini suite on these ships for this reason.

In a balcony, if you have the sofa bed in use then it is very difficult to access your balcony. I like to be able to go out there at night, so it's important for us.

If you do upgrade then be careful where to. Some people have reported having noise from above.

The mini.suite on the gem looks a lot larger than a balcony room.

I would definitely do it unless the position of the cabin is better in the balcony. You have to be careful that the buffet or pool areas may be above you because the mini suites are on deck 11 and the buffet and pools are on deck 12. I was just on the Gem on Monday. Very rough ride with stormy weather so I was happy I stuck with a BA balcony. I liked the extra storage in the mini suite and the bigger bathroom.

You guys were so helpful with my upgrade from inside to balcony yesterday that I am asking your opinion again.

Would you upgrade from a family balcony to a minisuite on a gem 9 night cruise for $500?

We like mini suites. We just like any extra room you can get. Here's some pics of a mini suite on the Pearl a few years ago. The Gem will be very similar. With 4 of you, having the curtain across the bed area in a Mini will help isolate a bit for more privacy.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Pearl%20Mini%20Suite/DSCN8824.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

We always do a mini because we like the larger bathroom. The room itself will not be any different for the most part. The differences are in the bathroom.

I found more differences in the room itself than the bathroom. Have not been on the Gem yet but have been on the Jewel and Pearl which are sister ships. The only difference in the bathroom that I could tell is the mini-suite has a tub/shower and the balcony just has a walk-in shower but I'm pretty sure it's the same square footage in the bathroom. There is tons more storage in a mini-suite though, big drawers, larger desk, sofa bed with curtain to separate the two areas, etc.

For free, yes... otherwise no.

Even for free, you have to be careful. Some of those mini's are on deck 11 I believe... right under some rather active public areas, which could be a problem for some folks.

Sorry, I missed the ship. I have never been in a Gem mini just the newer ships and the mini-suites are not much different other then the bathroom. If the room is larger then I would absolutely do it with 4 in the room. The more space the better. From the pictures it looked like it had the pull curtain to separate the room. That would be handy I think with 4. Enjoy your trip. Its gotten quite the upgrade in the last few days. :-)

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

YES! The balcony rooms on the Gem are tight, and we had 2 adults and a three year old... the mini's we walked pasted looked to be quite a bit larger, to the point I was really mad at myself for not booking one... with 4 in the room it would really have made a difference to the quality of time spent in the cabin (which can significant when traveling with littles...)

With 4 people in the cabin - absolutely.

I'm jealous. I've been watching and hoping the prices for minisuites comes down on our cruise next month enough for me to upgrade from a balcony and I would definitely go for it if it was $500 or less. But it's still close to $1000 more. Bummed.

No. We were 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 9&7 yrs) in a balcony on the Gem for Christmas and New Years and I wouldn't spend another penny for the paltry extra space in a mini suite. The balcony cabins guarantee you cabins above and below, we had a mini suite on the Jewel and the noise from above was awful. Yes, the accommodations are tight, but it's tight in a mini suite too. Honestly, spend the extra $500 doing some fun things so you'll forget how tight it is in the cabin!

Now if you were talking about upgrading to a full suite, I'd say go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk