GTY room confusion

Cloudyrain

Hello!

I am a little confused, and it's probably me that's got it wrong, but thought I would check with the experts :D

We booked a Guarantee Special (on the Epic for May 2015) this week on-line. We were happy to go for any Balcony room, but I wasn't too keen on the overlooked balconies - I know lot a of people like them, but I'm happier with a more private balcony.

When we called NCL they advised we couldn't book a category with them, and that the GTY was any balcony room in any balcony category. However, when I tried to do a mock booking on line I found could pick the category (for a slightly higher cost).

Due to the cost being what we were happy with we booked online and paid a bit more for a BA category - it said this at final payment, but then also said it was a GTS which could be any room. I didn't think much of it as it clearly said "Category: BA Mid-Ship Balcony"

Anyway (I will get to the point now!) I checked My NCL today and we have been allocated, 78 days out, in room 13256 which is category B3. It's not that it's a bad room, it's not that I don't like it, and I'm not really bothered wether we are mid/fwd/aft or which deck we are, as long as we weren't in one of the overlooked rooms. However, isn't this a cheaper category???

I'm not unhappy with the room, but I'm sure when we did the mock bookings that the B3 was cheaper than BA - or have I got it wrong and the B3 is just apart of the BA category?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I have had a look and done a search but can't find the answer - sorry! We had previously booked a GTY on P&O, but that was literally any balcony and allocated the week before, previously with NCL we booked specific rooms, so it's all a bit new to me!

Thank you in advance!

No, it is a upgrade from BA. With NCL subcategories (second character in the code) from lowest to highest are X-A and then 9-1, X being lowest and 1 highest.

Price doesn't matter, only the category hierarchy.

Edited by Demonyte

Hello!

I am a little confused, and it's probably me that's got it wrong, but thought I would check with the experts :D

We booked a Guarantee Special (on the Epic for May 2015) this week on-line. We were happy to go for any Balcony room, but I wasn't too keen on the overlooked balconies - I know lot a of people like them, but I'm happier with a more private balcony.

When we called NCL they advised we couldn't book a category with them, and that the GTY was any balcony room in any balcony category. However, when I tried to do a mock booking on line I found could pick the category (for a slightly higher cost).

Due to the cost being what we were happy with we booked online and paid a bit more for a BA category - it said this at final payment, but then also said it was a GTS which could be any room. I didn't think much of it as it clearly said "Category: BA Mid-Ship Balcony"

Anyway (I will get to the point now!) I checked My NCL today and we have been allocated, 78 days out, in room 13256 which is category B3. It's not that it's a bad room, it's not that I don't like it, and I'm not really bothered wether we are mid/fwd/aft or which deck we are, as long as we weren't in one of the overlooked rooms. However, isn't this a cheaper category???

I'm not unhappy with the room, but I'm sure when we did the mock bookings that the B3 was cheaper than BA - or have I got it wrong and the B3 is just apart of the BA category?

Sorry if this is a stupid question! I have had a look and done a search but can't find the answer - sorry! We had previously booked a GTY on P&O, but that was literally any balcony and allocated the week before, previously with NCL we booked specific rooms, so it's all a bit new to me!

Thank you in advance!

What you are going to hear is this:

If the cabin assignment *does* matter to you, then select the exact cabin you want (obviously from those available on the date you booked), and pay for whichever category that is.

If you really don't care, and just want to get on the ship (or really don't care 'which' balcony or oceanview or inside, etc.) then getting a guarantee will save a bit of money, and *maybe* you'll be upgraded, but that's not at all guaranteed!

If you DO care about the exact category and/or location of your cabin, then BOOK THE CABIN THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY, and pay for that.

Then there are no unpleasant surprises.

If you are willing to "gamble" in hopes of an unpaid upgrade, at the risk of getting something you are less happy with, that's fine.

But then don't complain that you are... less happy with it!

And read the rules: Guarantees can NOT be changed once assigned.

That's what it said when you made the reservation. It's not new.

It is that simple.

GeezerCouple

I've never been on Epic, but the B3 is listed as a "higher" category on a mock booking... Though as you thought you remembered, it is $20 cheaper than the BA. On the 3/1 sailing. According to the way they're showing it goes BA, then B6-B1.

B3 is listed as a family balcony, but doesn't appear to be bigger than the BA... Maybe it has a tub?But since the BA is considered a higher category by NCL, if you had a BA guarantee then, technically that's by the rules...

From NCL.com

A GTY or guarentee cabin means that you are not choosing your cabin number at the time of booking. We would assign the cabin number for you, By booking a GTY cabin guarentees the guests the ship, the voyage, the fare, and a cabin in the category they paid for or possibly higher. A guarentee cabin does NOT guarentee the guests: deck or location, specific bedding, specific cabin number, upgrade or unobstructed view/ enclosed balcony. Once the cabin has been assigned there would be no changes

Ah ok, if B3 is higher than BA (regardless of cost, I understand they can change, and see that happen quite often in my weekly "let's have a look at a cruise" sessions!) then that is fine - I just didn't want to get less than I thought I was getting (if that makes sense!)

Thank you for those speedy and helpful responses, I really appreciate it. :)

Just to clarify again (before someone else tries to explain the GTY system)- I was not complaining, or not understanding of how a GTY worked: I tried to make it clear in my post that I do understand the basis of the guarantee system (and have used it before, and would use it again) and that I was happy with a non-specific room, and that most things about a balcony cabin don't matter to me, and even that i was happy with the room i was allocated. It was just that I didn't understand the category situation and how they worked it out.

Thanks again! :D

What the heck is an 'overlooked' balcony?

Probably one that extends out compared to balconies above so that people from above balconies can look down to it, for example B6 and M6 balconies on Breakaway class ships.

Edited by Demonyte