Pre-cruise stay - good areas

sprockie

I have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale several times and have stayed in the 17th St. area (Hyatt), the State Rd. 84 area (Hampton Inn, BW), and just recently on Sheridan St. (Holiday Inn).

Are there any other areas worth taking a look at? We travel with our kids, so we have a criteria.

Must be close (walking distance) to restaurants including fast food and others

Airport shuttle

Free breakfast

Must be close to decent sized grocery store for pre-cruise items

Free wifi

Nice pool

EDITED TO ADD: We don't want something on the beach - will be lots of beach time on our next itinerary

Anyone have any other suggestions of areas/hotels they loved with kids?

Just want to make sure I am not missing out of something great.

Edited by sprockie

I have cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale several times and have stayed in the 17th St. area (Hyatt), the State Rd. 84 area (Hampton Inn, BW), and just recently on Sheridan St. (Holiday Inn).

Are there any other areas worth taking a look at? We travel with our kids, so we have a criteria.

Must be close (walking distance) to restaurants including fast food and others

Airport shuttle

Free breakfast

Must be close to decent sized grocery store for pre-cruise items

Free wifi

Nice pool

Anyone have any other suggestions of areas/hotels they loved with kids?

Just want to make sure I am not missing out of something great.

Great hotel with facilities having something for all is The Pilars. The packages on offer can include all your requirements. Evening drinks on the decking is quite romantic and relaxing. Give them a call. ;)

Great hotel with facilities having something for all is The Pilars. The packages on offer can include all your requirements. Evening drinks on the decking is quite romantic and relaxing. Give them a call. ;)

No, not the Pillars with kids. It is one of my favorite hotels in Fort Lauderdale but it isn't a place for kids.

To the OP, the Doubletree Gallery One is on the water taxi route and very close to lots of shops and restaurants.

I also like the Victoria Park Hotel in the same area.

No, not the Pillars with kids. It is one of my favorite hotels in Fort Lauderdale but it isn't a place for kids.

To the OP, the Doubletree Gallery One is on the water taxi route and very close to lots of shops and restaurants.

I also like the Victoria Park Hotel in the same area.

We have friends, with children, who take the 2 room villa. But I have always trusted your advice and input, and will therefore step back on this thread.

OP please take the advice of BH, you will not be dissapointed. :D

The area that has everything you are looking for is Stirling Rd near I95. Even there, there is a Kmart that has a food section but no grocery store. See if Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, etc. have what you want. The pools aren't going to be fabulous, but they are fine.

The area that has everything you are looking for is Stirling Rd near I95. Even there, there is a Kmart that has a food section but no grocery store. See if Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, etc. have what you want. The pools aren't going to be fabulous, but they are fine.

Springhill Suites in Dania (across from the mentioned Kmart) is a popular cruisers choice. Free shuttles from airport and to pier, plus a good free breakfast. Rooms are good sized and nice (IMO). Next to Kmart is BJs by the way. The main negative about this area is the lack of better dining options (mostly fast food, Dave & Busters, Moonlight Diner).

We have stayed here twice before and will again in a couple of months.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Springhill Suites in Dania (across from the mentioned Kmart) is a popular cruisers choice. Free shuttles from airport and to pier, plus a good free breakfast. Rooms are good sized and nice (IMO). Next to Kmart is BJs by the way. The main negative about this area is the lack of better dining options (mostly fast food, Dave & Busters, Moonlight Diner).

We have stayed here twice before and will again in a couple of months.

DaveOKC

Those dining options are fine with kids for us. I see there is also a Sweet Tomatoes there which is always a big draw for us.

We stayed at the opposite end of the Oakwood Plaza on Sheridan street a few weeks ago. We were very pleased, wonderful pool but the area was very busy with traffic - even to cross the street to McDonalds you were crossing several lanes of traffic.

So, you're suggesting the area on the opposite end of Oakwood Plaza for the Springhill suites. That might be a better location for us.

Kmart would likely have the snacks and soft drinks we are looking for - we don't need anything more in the way of groceries than that.

We have friends, with children, who take the 2 room villa. But I have always trusted your advice and input, and will therefore step back on this thread.

OP please take the advice of BH, you will not be dissapointed. :D

No, of course don't step back!! The couple of times I've been there and hung out at the pool, it was very chill and no kids. Mostly romantic couples. Same for any evening events there.

Yes, that two bedroom suite is very nice.

It is really one of my favorite hotels in Fort Lauderdale and I love that it is an On Demand water taxi stop.

Those dining options are fine with kids for us. I see there is also a Sweet Tomatoes there which is always a big draw for us.

We stayed at the opposite end of the Oakwood Plaza on Sheridan street a few weeks ago. We were very pleased, wonderful pool but the area was very busy with traffic - even to cross the street to McDonalds you were crossing several lanes of traffic.

So, you're suggesting the area on the opposite end of Oakwood Plaza for the Springhill suites. That might be a better location for us.

From Springhill Suites to McDonalds you have to cross Stirling Ave - very busy and wide, tough to cross with kids I would think. However, Burger King and Chipolte are on the same side of Stirling Ave (as Springhill) and are very easy to get to.

From Springhill Suites to McDonalds you have to cross Stirling Ave - very busy and wide, tough to cross with kids I would think. However, Burger King and Chipolte are on the same side of Stirling Ave (as Springhill) and are very easy to get to.

Okay, great. So if we were to take a walking venture to the "Big K" or to some of the other restaurants in the area (like Moonlite or Dave and Busters, Ale house, etc. how long would it take to walk, or would it be more of a cab ride? Our kids are 9 and 14 so they're not wee ones.

Oakwood is just across Stirling Rd from the short roads that have these hotels:

Springhill Suites

Summerfield Suites

Hilton Garden Inn

Hampton Inn

Hyatt Place

Hyatt House

There is really no need for a taxi.

Hyatt Place near the port might be a better choice, especially if you can get it on Value Trips.

Edited by royalcruz