Best Advice Needed!

Shore>Mom

We have a 2:45 flight out of FLL. Can't decide whether to stay on board as late as possible (we havee FTTF) or rent a car at hertz and drive up A1A to Lauderdale for lunch then on to the airport. We absolutely hate FLL so really don't want to hang there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you're talking about the Hertz in Port of Miami, don't waste your time because they will waste yours. We rented from them last week and the lines were horrible, they were handing out pagers and folks were waiting upwards of 2 hours to get a car they'd reserved in advance. We have Hertz Gold and it was still almost an hour long process to get a car.

We once did a post-cruise excusion to the Everglades and it was a blast and they drop you off at the airport after...maybe consider something like that.

We have a 2:45 flight out of FLL. Can't decide whether to stay on board as late as possible (we havee FTTF) or rent a car at hertz and drive up A1A to Lauderdale for lunch then on to the airport. We absolutely hate FLL so really don't want to hang there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I would suggest going to breakfast 15 minutes before they close, enjoy a long drawn out breakfast, take your time getting off the ship, don't rush thru Security and then head to the Airport..

BTW, having FTTF has nothing to do with getting off the ship... only getting on sooner :)

FTTF does provide debarkation benefits.

From Carnival...

Debarkation

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late debarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Edited by l2f

FTTF does provide debarkation benefits.

From Carnival...

Debarkation

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late debarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

thanks I did not know that although.......... if you want late debarkation, just don't leave the ship !!! lol

If you're talking about the Hertz in Port of Miami, don't waste your time because they will waste yours. We rented from them last week and the lines were horrible, they were handing out pagers and folks were waiting upwards of 2 hours to get a car they'd reserved in advance. We have Hertz Gold and it was still almost an hour long process to get a car.

We once did a post-cruise excusion to the Everglades and it was a blast and they drop you off at the airport after...maybe consider something like that.

Agree, the problem with renting a car after a cruise is that the rental agency is waiting for people going on the next cruise to drop their cars off. People get off the cruise around 9-10 but the ones dropping the cars off do not get there until 11-2 or so. This may not always be the case, but twice I have dropped off a car pre-cruise to see many people waiting and no cars on the lot.

Yikes! I get a great discount through USAA for Hertz. If I get off the ship at 9 am do you think I will have trouble getting a rental??? Don't want to wait to get a car. We hope to head up to Fort Lauderdale for brunch before flight.

I rent often from FLL (usually Avis) and have never had an issue waiting for cars - sign up for their programs through USAA and your car should be waiting for you in a designated space with your name on the board and an email on your phone (if you rent through National they will allow you to choose any available car in your category - just pick the one you like from the correct aisle and go).

Thank God you won't have to spend any time in FLL.

By the time you get off the ship at 10:30, spend an hour getting your rental car, and it takes you an hour to get up to FLL, that puts you at 12:30 which is a good check in time for your flight.