cagneys or moderno with a vegetarian

Jofishes

Actually, if you do not order an entrée, there is not supposed to be a charge ;)

Perhaps that has changed.

Well, they are eating something, even if only the salad bar so there is a charge but it's a small charge. Someone mentioned a 'kids' charge and that might be it.

Harriet

I know two "vegetarians" that only eat seafood. I believe I read once in a medical journal that some vegetarians do make a dietary exception for health reasons. The government advises the consumption of at least two portions of fish a week, one being an oily fish. Its knows this helps fight heart disease and offers other nutritional bedifits. Also fish don't invoke the same compassionate response that calf, lamb, piglet or duck does...its all written in some medical journals....but then there is the term "pescetarian" so maybe thats what they really are than actual vegetarians?

Edited by lyndamr

+1

It's pretty much worth the admission price by itself.

really good to know thanks :)

Actually, if you do not order an entrée, there is not supposed to be a charge ;)

Perhaps that has changed.

As an RN what I do know is that there are all manner of vegetarians. Vegan, the most strict, do not consume egg or dairy products. Ovo-lacto, as it sounds do consume both. My sister would occasionally consume fish.

I find that many people are not 'allergic' to dairy products but are rather lactose-intolerant, lacking the latase (enzyme) in order to break down the mild sugar, or lactose. Many people become tolerant as they grow up. It helps to take lactase tablets, drink Lactaid milk, acidopholus milk and so on. Often the active culture yogurts are tolerated due to the pro-biotics which help break down the milk sugars.

In true dairy allergy there may be other culprits. I bring the chewable tablets on cruises and can have a dish of ice cream or cream soup/sauce if I like. If I forget, then I will be miserable. Which category does your daughter fall into?

I think the salad bar at Moderno is wonderful. Marinated garbano/kidney beans and other legumes, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, mushrooms, carrots, hearts of palm and several others.

Garlic mashed potatoes, (enquire as to dairy), fried bananas, rice and beans the sides. Most don't know that the cheese rolls are gluten free as they use tapioca flour instead of wheat. Still, with true dairy allergy rather than lactose intolerance this might be another issue.

Desserts at Moderno have egg, milk or gelatin in all three, but the grilled pineapple, the juices caramelized with a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon, is outrageous.

Cagney's has no vegetarian mains and an Arugula Salad that might suit.

Sides such as Steamed Broccoli, Green Beans, Roasted Mushrooms, Onion Rings, Cagney's Fries, Grilled Beetroot and Red Shallots as well as Orzo Pilaf are available.

What does she normally consume for protein? A note sent to NCL at least a month out will provide lots of additional information, including what they can modify so your daughter has a positive, even tasty experience. :)

my daughter is truly allergic to all diary and tends to follow a vegan diet which we find is easiest way to avoid the diary, she was pescatarian up until a few years ago and then made a decision to no longer eat fish which limited her diet even more so, her protein comes from vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds, rice, beans, tofu, soy and quorn :)

this thread has been really helpful to read of other peoples dining experiences and I do find it doesn't hurt to ask how they have found the dining on board when you have restrictions or if you just don't eat meat :eek:

The Manhattan Room is located on the deck under Moderno and Cagney's and they may have a dish your daughter may like and be able to eat. I'm not sure that you will be able to order it at Moderno or Cagney's but I'm sure that you are allowed to order it at the Manhattan Room and bring it to Moderno or Cagney's.

just looking for opinions

we're a family of four and looking for info on eating at Cagneys or Moderno with one of us being a vegetarian (and allergic to dairy)

the blurb for Moderno says best salad bar on the ship :) and my husband would love a decent steak

we'd like to eat as a family but not sure if my daughter could be accommodated

anyone any experience they can share that would be helpful ~ thanks in advance

I would certainly do Modernos. Our daughter and granddaughter are on the Jewel right now. THey choose Modernos,though granddaughter isn't a true vegetarian she eats almost no meat but loves salad. We always have to be careful not to fill up on salad when eating there. Another option would be Le Bistro. As for Cagney's, yes, you have the great steaks, but I just don't think, with a vegetarian in the group I would want to do Cagney's.