Port of New York Ship and sailings 2017

pamrose228

So now that we know the Vista in not making NYC her permanent home, does anyone have any idea what CCL's plans are the NY.

Will it be same old Splendor Canada or Bahama cruises?

Will they finally go to Bermuda like their two competitors do.

I want a ship in NYC so bad but something newer and different.

nothing has been specifically announced for new york, i'd expect confirmation to come in the next few months as itineraries and re-deployments start trickling out in spring (and have effectively started, with the vista and galveston shake-up).

as much as i wish there'd be something newer, i suspect it will be splendor again. we know for sure vista goes to miami, breeze to galveston, and magic to port canaveral. so that really just leaves dream in terms of ships newer than splendor. for some reason i just don't see them pulling dream for the seasonal sailings...

splendor's last drydock ended 1/16/11, so given the '5 year rule' it should be going into drydock some time in the next year - perhaps it'll at least get some of the 2.0 upgrades and such.

I'd love some Bermuda sailings out of NYC. There's a huge market for cruises out of the NYC/Philly metro areas. I will definitely be keeping an eye on these. Honestly I don't expect them to move the Splendor for a while. I haven't cruised her yet, but we will.....:)

Also, I have no idea why they stopped sailing out of NY in April and May. Spring break is in April in the northeast and they were getting top dollar for sailing out of NY last year. Why push it to June. I get they were giving away the January and February cruises (which I of course took advantage of) but the spring is very nice in nyc and should still be included in the transpositioning.

I might have to start looking at other cruise lines. :(

There are many sailings out of Boston now that didn't exist before. Even Holland America doesn't leave from NY. Princess sails out of Brooklyn but not earlier in the year.

So that leaves NCL and Cunard on just a few sailings

Seems NYC is getting shortchanged even after it upgraded their NY piers.:confused:

I am not a fan of going to Bayonne to get a cruise.

MARAPRINCE

For our second cruise we wanted to try a bigger ship (and didn't want to do the Pride twice in a row--though we loved it) so that left NCL out of NYC because there was no other option for next February. We live way upstate in NY. For 4 people, I don't think it's cost effective to fly to FL or elsewhere and lose a couple days in travel, not to mention the stress of airports and all of that, so northeast ports are a wonderful thing. If NCL can sail year round from NY, why can't Carnival do more than a 6 month seasonal thing?

I totally understand why winter cruises from NYC weren't popular, unless it's a ship with impressive indoor areas. But what about April? Spring breakers desperate to go south, sometimes pricy flights to Florida, decent weather likely in NYC and swimming weather by the time you reach Florida. Even starting in March, people would probably be willing to take a chance on the weather. It seems like these would attract lots of newbie cruisers who have never been to the Bahamas or don't particularly care about the itinerary?

I totally understand why winter cruises from NYC weren't popular, unless it's a ship with impressive indoor areas. But what about April? Spring breakers desperate to go south, sometimes pricy flights to Florida, decent weather likely in NYC and swimming weather by the time you reach Florida. Even starting in March, people would probably be willing to take a chance on the weather. It seems like these would attract lots of newbie cruisers who have never been to the Bahamas or don't particularly care about the itinerary?

Two problems

If they could fill the ship with newbies who dont care about itinerary and willing to pay top dollar they would already be doing it.

Second you get a day to day and a half of cold or cool weather each way. Think most people would rather start their 7 days in warmth out of Florida

Somehow, Norwegian and Royal are able to overcome the same obstacles year-round that Carnival can't figure out. It must be nicer ships, because every line on sailings for 7 to 8 days basically goes to the same places. Bahamas, Bermuda, and Canada.

That said, me personally - I don't care about the lack of Carnival offerings out of NY for the Winter. I'm not inclined to sail any ship with two days of cold weather first, followed by the Bahamas. I do like the Bahamas, but been there done that nearly a dozen times.

I would love to see some 7-day Canada sailings and some Bermuda itineraries as well. Even if they kept the Splendor here, change up the itineraries please. That's all I'm asking.

Two problems

If they could fill the ship with newbies who dont care about itinerary and willing to pay top dollar they would already be doing it.

Second you get a day to day and a half of cold or cool weather each way. Think most people would rather start their 7 days in warmth out of Florida

In the past, were Carnival's spring break cruises from NYC cheaper than from other ports? I seem to remember them being expensive?

I'd rather start my vacation with Florida warmth, but flights to Orlando are currently priced at over $700/person for our Easter spring break, about $4,000 for the family. (If we lived in NYC we could fly for the cheap price of $600/person.) The only other option is driving two days each way. We would much rather spend the same time sailing on an 8-day cruise.

We are driving to NOLA to cruise this spring break because it's the closest port, but NYC would be much closer. The non-Carnival cruises from NYC for Easter week were outrageously expensive.

I'm sorry the Canada/NE cruises didn't catch on when Carnival offered them from Boston a few years back. I wasn't able to cruise that year, but I liked the idea of going out of Boston. Hopefully, Carnival might try again if they decide against that itinerary out of NY. Even better, I wish Carnival would do a Canada/NE cruise from Baltimore! It'd have to be an 8 or 9-day itinerary, but it would be terrific to cruise someplace good from Baltimore instead of to all those dreary hot places.

Been on two Canada cruises out of NY. How many times can you visit St. John's. Also Port Canaveral worst port of call ever. Never again.

St. John's, Newfoundland is a terrific cruise destination, but very few cruises go there. I think you're confusing St. John's with Saint John, New Brunswick, which a lot of cruisers think is a snooze. I like the city, and can easily spend a port stop there walking up to the park and browsing the City Market.

St. John's, Newfoundland is a terrific cruise destination, but very few cruises go there. I think you're confusing St. John's with Saint John, New Brunswick, which a lot of cruisers think is a snooze. I like the city, and can easily spend a port stop there walking up to the park and browsing the City Market.

Yep Saint John in NB and snooze fest it was. :confused:

Sent from my LGLS990 using Forums mobile app

Carnival failed at sailing from NY year round for one main reason. It repeated the same 8 day itinerary year round for 4 years. It would either be Nassau, San Juan & Grand Turk or Nassau, Freeport & Port Canaveral. These sailings are fine from April-October, but once the cold weather arrived, you'd be spending most of your 8 day cruise in cold weather. Carnival needed to do what NCL & RCCL are doing and have longer itineraries in the winter and sail further south. Having done the Miracle out of NY two years ago, I can honestly say the only warm day was when we were in Nassau. Our port days in Freeport & Port Canaveral were only around 65 degrees.

I would love to cruise more out of NY even if there is cold the first day or two. NCL and RCCL don't seem to have problems filling their ships. Carnival needs to have a big beautiful ship for that huge market to compete. It would be fabulous instead of having to go to MIA or FL etc. I am from Ontario and cruised Splendor last Apr to Nassau, Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk 8 days, loved it and the pool was warm.

A new ship with lots of activities for the days getting out of NY ..... that's what they need. Heck there are millions of people within an hour radius. NCL and RCCL are just not Carnival!!! Let's hope the new 2018 Carnival ship ports in NY.

Think the problem is for 7 day cruises the itineraries leave a lot to be desired. Only so many times people want to go to the bahamas.

Couldn't agree more. I love sailing out of NYC, I just wish they could swing some different ports or even better, a different ship...