Our families first cruise

We are booked to go on Rhapsody Of The Seas Tropical Queensland 11 nights cruise in April.

Has anyone stayed in room 4510 if so what is it like and how is the bed situation set up, as we have our 17 year old son who is almost 6ft I'm a bit concerned about the bunks, we also have a 9yr old daughter.

Any more information on anything concerning the ship or port of calls would be appreciated.

Any sea sickness remedies?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will love the Rhapsody. She is a lovely ship with a very friendly crew.

I cruised with my teen son and teen daughter. Teen daughter loved the pullman bed (bunk bed). Teen son who was almost 6ft preferred the single bed (he had this option as there were only 3 of us in the cabin)

For potential seasickness, we took Avomine which is available from the chemist (but you have to ask for it). Best to start taking it the night before the cruise to be most effective. You may find that after a day or two you can stop taking it once you have your "sea legs". This is what we did on our most recent cruise.

I cant comment specifically on your cabin but looking at the deck plans you appear to be in a forward cabin. The rule of thumb to avoid seasickness is to go down low and midships. So, being on Deck 4 is in your favour.

Be aware that internet on the ship is expensive. First cruise, daughter racked up a bill which she had to pay out of her own money. Second cruise, teens knew they could not use internet on board and just waited until we were in port.

I can't comment on the kids club but if you have any other questions please ask.

Edited by aussielozzie18

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

You will love the Rhapsody. She is a lovely ship with a very friendly crew.

I cruised with my teen son and teen daughter. Teen daughter loved the pullman bed (bunk bed). Teen son who was almost 6ft preferred the single bed (he had this option as there were only 3 of us in the cabin)

For potential seasickness, we took Avomine which is available from the chemist (but you have to ask for it). Best to start taking it the night before the cruise to be most effective. You may find that after a day or two you can stop taking it once you have your "sea legs". This is what we did on our most recent cruise.

I cant comment specifically on your cabin but looking at the deck plans you appear to be in a forward cabin. The rule of thumb to avoid seasickness is to go down low and midships. So, being on Deck 4 is in your favour.

Be aware that internet on the ship is expensive. First cruise, daughter racked up a bill which she had to pay out of her own money. Second cruise, teens knew they could not use internet on board and just waited until we were in port.

I can't comment on the kids club but if you have any other questions please ask.

Thank you for your information.

The previous comments address many of your concerns, but I'd like to make a few points about sea sickness.

I have been sailing and racing the Chesapeake Bay and off shore for over 30 years. Im somewhat immune to sea sickness, though I have come close when down below sleeping during heavy weather. Of course these are much more extreme situations than you'll ever experience on a cruise ships. These ships, because of their size are very stable, and as a supplement, use active fin stabilizers that counter the rolling motion in all but the heaviest seas. You'll barely notice any motion under most situations.

That being said, there are many OTC (over the counter) and perscription medications that can help. But be careful about the side effects. One of the safest remedies without any side effects are ginger tablets, or if you can't find them, ginger ale. This is a well know treatment among many sailors again because they have no side effects.., like drowsiness. Also, if you feel a little strange, consider where you are on the ship. If you are say in the theater in rough seas, you might not notice the slight roll, but the stage curtains tend to move left to right and can induce minor discomfort.

If you or your party does encounter sea sickness, first have someone get some ginger ale or tablets, then get on deck or your balcony.., anywhere on the vessel where you can see the horizon. I know this sounds strange, but by looking at the horizon for a while along with some ginger ale or tablets, can help a great deal. The one mistake many make is to head to their bunk and pull the covers over their head. Try not to do that, because it can make you feel worse.

Ofcourse, if you have a known history, consult your doctor for possible medications. Remember to follow the proper usage instruction. But very few people on cruse ships have any problems. As a few days go by...you'll not even notice the gentle motion of the ship. In fact, it's one of the best way to rock yourself to sleep.:)

Enjoy your trip...

The previous comments address many of your concerns, but I'd like to make a few points about sea sickness.

I have been sailing and racing the Chesapeake Bay and off shore for over 30 years. Im somewhat immune to sea sickness, though I have come close when down below sleeping during heavy weather. Of course these are much more extreme situations than you'll ever experience on a cruise ships. These ships, because of their size are very stable, and as a supplement, use active fin stabilizers that counter the rolling motion in all but the heaviest seas. You'll barely notice any motion under most situations.

That being said, there are many OTC (over the counter) and perscription medications that can help. But be careful about the side effects. One of the safest remedies without any side effects are ginger tablets, or if you can't find them, ginger ale. This is a well know treatment among many sailors again because they have no side effects.., like drowsiness. Also, if you feel a little strange, consider where you are on the ship. If you are say in the theater in rough seas, you might not notice the slight roll, but the stage curtains tend to move left to right and can induce minor discomfort.

If you or your party does encounter sea sickness, first have someone get some ginger ale or tablets, then get on deck or your balcony.., anywhere on the vessel where you can see the horizon. I know this sounds strange, but by looking at the horizon for a while along with some ginger ale or tablets, can help a great deal. The one mistake many make is to head to their bunk and pull the covers over their head. Try not to do that, because it can make you feel worse.

Ofcourse, if you have a known history, consult your doctor for possible medications. Remember to follow the proper usage instruction. But very few people on cruse ships have any problems. As a few days go by...you'll not even notice the gentle motion of the ship. In fact, it's one of the best way to rock yourself to sleep.:)

Enjoy your trip...

My husband suffers from seasickness and he says the exact same thing about looking at the horizon.

You might notice a bit of rolling of the ground AFTER your cruise because you got used to the motion during your cruise. It does go away in a few days. Kind of weird when an airport seems to move around.

Edited by LeeW
spelling

Also is the water on board drinkable?

I noticed on the cruise planner water for sale.

Yes, the water onboard is perfectly clean and safe to drink.

Some people just want bottled water for whatever reason, so they have an option of purchasing it.

I am extremely prone to motion sickness, so on all my cruises I take meclizine, one in the morning and one in the evening. I doesn't make me drowsy, but I am no doctor, so I don't know if you don't get drowsy from them.

In 2012 I sailed in 30 ft waves during my Norwegian Fjords cruises. And I can tell you that I felt the ship moving. A lot. But the good news is that due to my tablets I didn't get sick at all. Barf bags were hanging out all around the ship. That's how much it was rocking. The only annoying things was that I kept sliding back and forth in my bed. But I'd take that any day over getting sick. Moral of the story: Meclizine does the trick for me, even when the waves are big! I heard eating a green apple helps if you are suffering from the motion some.

Can't advice on the cabin though. As for the water, it is perfectly safe to drink, I even like the taste of it. I don't even know why I still buy bottled water....

I wish you and your family a wonderful cruise :)

Cindy

Edited by sg1phileshipper
Early senior moment :p

We did the same cruise in Nov 2012 on Rhspsody and had a great time. We were in 3610 which was also a Pullman cabin as we were travelling with our 15 year old daughter. The Lowe beds were made up as a queen with the upper beds lowered by the cabin steward each night. We are doing the same cruise as you in April again so may bump in to you. Let me know if you need to know anything in particular. We decided to this cruise again as it will be Rhapsody's last ever cruise in Australia.

Pullman is a much better option than the sofa bed, especially for someone who is tall. We only have one family member prone to sea sickness (and that's from a family of people who all get car sick). She takes Bonine the night before we cruise and the first day. After that, she's fine for the remainder of the cruise, regardless of whether it's smooth sailing or rough seas. You'll have a great time.

We did the same cruise in Nov 2012 on Rhspsody and had a great time. We were in 3610 which was also a Pullman cabin as we were travelling with our 15 year old daughter. The Lowe beds were made up as a queen with the upper beds lowered by the cabin steward each night. We are doing the same cruise as you in April again so may bump in to you. Let me know if you need to know anything in particular. We decided to this cruise again as it will be Rhapsody's last ever cruise in Australia.

Thank you for your reply and I did not know it would be Rhapsody's last Ausie cruise so thanks for that bit of info as well

Pullman is a much better option than the sofa bed, especially for someone who is tall. We only have one family member prone to sea sickness (and that's from a family of people who all get car sick). She takes Bonine the night before we cruise and the first day. After that, she's fine for the remainder of the cruise, regardless of whether it's smooth sailing or rough seas. You'll have a great time.

Thank you :)