given the choice ?

Jofishes

which would you chose ?

we have two rooms booked and were given a choice of 2 free extras

UBP (we have chosen to have this)

and then the 2nd option was either $200 room credit per room OR the UDP

I have initially chosen the $200 per room because i was initially unsure about the UDP, we have a young person dining with us who is Vegetarian (also the food must be dairy free)

but looking into the speciality restaurants and digging deeper with research now i'm not so sure :confused:

looking at the sushi, asian and teppanyaki place i can see that these menus should easily accommodate my daughter and also the salad bar at moderno

OUR initial thinking was to take the OBC as the 2nd option, speak to the maître d in the various restaurants to see how accommodating they can be with my daughters more limited eating choices and then if it all sounded good buy the UDP once we got on board

now i'm not so sure ?

Edited by Jofishes

which would you chose ?

we have two rooms booked and were given a choice of 2 free extras

UBP (we have chosen to have this)

and then the 2nd option was either $200 room credit per room OR the UDP

I have initially chosen the $200 per room because i was initially unsure about the UDP, we have a young person dining with us who is Vegetarian (also the food must be dairy free)

but looking into the speciality restaurants and digging deeper with research now i'm not so sure :confused:

looking at the sushi, asian and teppanyaki place i can see that these menus should easily accommodate my daughter and also the salad bat at moderno

OUR initial thinking was to take the OBC as the 2nd option, speak to the maître d in the various restaurants to see how accommodating they can be with my daughters more limited eating choices and then if it all sounded good buy the UDP once we got on board

now i'm not so sure ?

I would take the $200 and forget about the UDP.

That doesn't mean that you have to forget about the speciality restaurants though. You could still all eat at a couple of speciality restaurants during the week, paying as you go, and end up ahead.

Remember that any a la carte places aren't covered anyway (you just get a discount). Depending on which ship you are on then the Asian or Sushi places may fall into this category.

The UDP tends to make people think in terms of having to eat at the free restaurants or the specialities. You can do both, but if so then it is usually worth paying as you go.

Edit: I see from your signature that it's the Epic. The Sushi isn't covered by the UDP then, and there is a choice between Shanghai's (covered) and the Noodle Bar (not covered). The cost of Teppenyaki, Shanghai's and Moderno would be $66 each (including the tax). I'm not sure exactly how many of you there are and who is in each room, but based on a couple sharing, the OBC would more than cover that.

Edited by KeithJenner

there are four of us in two rooms and we have $400 OBC in total

My honest advice then would be to look at the Speciality Restaurants available (remembering to add on 10% tax) and see what they would cost. You can do a lot of speciality dining for $100 each, and if you weren't planning on doing so then I would think it's better to take the OBC and have a couple of meals in the speciality restaurants and using the remaining OBC on something else.

I would take the OBC. That way you can just pay for whatever specialty restaurants you wish to go to when you wish to go to them. What if one night you decide to skip dinner or one night you decide to go to the MDR or to a specialty restaurant that does not accept the UDP. What if you decide to just stay in your room and order room service.

Getting the OBC you only pay for what you use in regard to specialty restaurants and the rest can be used for excursions, gift shops, photos, etc. etc. etc.

Harriet

I'd take the OBC. I personally don't think an "all specialty dining" cruise is necessary. I quite enjoy the MDR some nights, and lately it seems to be harder and harder to be flexible (if you enjoy the freestyle concept) when using specialty restaurants. Unless you like eating at 5 p.m. or 9 p.m., you generally need to plan ahead and make a reservation for the specialty restaurants with the popularity of the dining packages.

We usually pick two-three nights to dine at specialties, so I'd just pick my favorite three and use the OBC for that, and then there'd be OBC to use for other things. Or if I decided during the cruise I wanted five nights specialty dining, that would be groovy, too. With that much OBC, you could do that.

It comes down to how often you plan to eat in a specialty restaurant covered by the UDP. On a ten day itinerary the UDP costs $164 per person. If you think you will eat in a covered venue every night you should take the UDP. If you think you will only go half the nights it isn't so clear cut. If you think you will go just once or twice you should take the OBC.

With a limited diet of vegetarian and no dairy I would not wait until on the ship. The access needs form from the access desk states Vegetarian as one of the diet options they can accommodate. This form will help the ship plan for her meals rather than scrambling with each maître de.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a limited diet of vegetarian and no dairy I would not wait until on the ship. The access needs form from the access desk states Vegetarian as one of the diet options they can accommodate. This form will help the ship plan for her meals rather than scrambling with each maître de.

i think i have that form to fill in :o it was sent to me after booking and is headed

Guest Special Request Information

the first question is

allergies/ special diet please specify any special dietary requests or any kind of allergies you may have

but then it goes on to say

please meet with the restaurant manager or executive chef once on board to further discuss your dietary needs

i hope this is the correct form it is was sent to me in a email headed information for wheelchairs :confused:

i think i have that form to fill in :o it was sent to me after booking and is headed

Guest Special Request Information

the first question is

allergies/ special diet please specify any special dietary requests or any kind of allergies you may have

but then it goes on to say

please meet with the restaurant manager or executive chef once on board to further discuss your dietary needs

i hope this is the correct form it is was sent to me in a email headed information for wheelchairs :confused:

Yep that is the form, fill out one for each guest needing accommodations. One for the vegetarian diet and no dairy. And a separate on for the wheelchairs unless the same person is both the diet needs and wheelchair.

How do you get the 2 choices unless this is only offer from the European sailing?

yes we sail from Europe and this is the current offer from ncl.co.uk

Yep that is the form, fill out one for each guest needing accommodations. One for the vegetarian diet and no dairy. And a separate on for the wheelchairs unless the same person is both the diet needs and wheelchair.

thank you :)