I just read this... anyone have more detailed info on Divina dry dock??

CamaCama

Bea ... Surely that is what makes MSC different, by being different? I recall that they covered over all the Italian pictures with ones of Hollywood movie stars on the first T.A to Miami.

By becoming like other ships it will make Divina no different, what is the point of trying something different if you want everything you can get at home? that is like going to Greece or Turkey for us and eating nothing but fish and Chips!

I also hope the ship is not too "Americanized." Gone are the days that one could cruise from a USA port and enjoy an international mix of passengers (still on board but the majority is from USA and Canada) and the food specialties of the country of the line's origin.

MSC, NO! We did not all want greasy hamburgers, hot dogs, grits, or biscuits and gravy on board ship (if that might be one of the changes). If we wanted everything to be the same as in the "Good ole US of A" (as we heard one "ugly" American complain about the differences ashore from that of home), we would stay home and keep our minds narrow and not use travel to enrich us.

The things that persuaded us to try our first MSC cruise is what many of the MSC detractors complain about, i.e., the food and "European" flavor of the cruise experience.

It seems to me that if someone wanted a cruise ship with all the amenities of home he or she should book a cruise on that type of ship. If on the other hand the desire is to experience something different, that is European or Italian, then MSC is worth the try. I agree that any "Americanization" of the Divina would be an error. I suspect that most Americans booking an MSC cruise are looking for that Italian experience and style.

"Drydock" can mean a number of things. The ship can be completely removed from the water for major repairs taking several weeks, or it can be tied up in port for a day or two to refurbish some cabins, paint, exchange minor machinery, etc. If the Divina will return to Genoa on 16 Oct and depart on her TA on the 24th, there will be plenty of time to make many repairs or whatever they want to do for the winter season in the Caribbean. We'll be boarding her on the 24th for the TA.

Now that is a name from the past.

Chuck have a great TA crossing.

Ron

It is unfortunate that many of the cruise lines have done away with what made them such a pleasure to cruise. Sure you can find remnants of what made the cruise line unique such as Princess carrying on the Sitmar pizza and pasta in Alfredo sauce but other things the lines were known for are gone. Celebrity no longer has the fabulous (Chandris) Greek food, Royal Caribbean has done away with the chocolate desserts (I'm not talking about the bland junk they now serve), and Holland American seems to have forgotten its Dutch roots (now have a hamburger grill instead of the Indonesian specialties that used to appear on the menu). We won't even start on the joke that NCL has become.

I really hope MSC stays true to itself.

So, since the charter is from Oct 20 to 24th, and the ship leaves for its TA crossing on the 25th, looks like dry dock maintenance is indeed scrapped. I hope they're able to get their maintenance in on the TA journey - it's usually a maintenance-heavy time on the ship as well as training time for new staff and theatre crews.

Edited by RussianSwinga

You have to realise that MSC unlike other lines play their cards close to their chests where drydocks are concerned and there may not in fact be a charter at all! try asking them what they intend to do while a ship in in drydock and you will get a wishy washy answer.

Giving direct answers to direct questions is not their forte.