Convince me why we should sail (try) on Princess

texnewbie

My first six cruises were on Carnival. Then we tried Princess. After five cruises, it's still possible to do another Carnival cruise under the right circumstances, but possible we'll stick with Princess.

Less nonessential PA's (I don't consider "last chance" bingo matches or art auctions essential at all). Mini-fridge in every cabin. Lack of overdone Vegasy Carnival decor. Lack (and hopefully continuing) of inane pool games.

Lots of live entertainment choices. The International Cafe (I love the chocolate chip cookies).

While we like Princess way better than Carnival, maybe you won't. Thing is, if you don't, you can always go back to Carnival. It's fun to "Sleep Around" from time to time. :D

Here are few things you would probably like on Princess:

:) As soon as you board the ship, you can go directly to your cabin ... No need for the FTTF thing.

:) Princess assumes people can read the activity schedule so there aren't announcements very five minutes.

:) Lots more and better food options on Princess.

:) Any shore excursions booked through the ship are not charged to you in advance.

LuLu

LuLu...

I love your "Sleep Around" quote!!! That had me on the floor laughing...

Thank you!!!

I'm thinking maybe most cruise lines are better for me.... and probably a few other people then Carnival... I don't have any complaint about carnival and we didn't have a bad experience I'm just ready for something better... :rolleyes:

Oh I love the idea of us going straight to our cabin...

Plus I also want that free bottle of champagne.. I think that would be so much fun to be on our balcony toasting the start of our cruise.

I told my DH about the announcements every 5 minutes and he was so excited. That's a pain in the %#* !!!!

So the shore excursions are on our account and you pay for them when you do them??? What a brilliant thought...

Thank you for the information!!!

Carolyn

You should cruise princess because it is not carnival. After 15+ carnival cruises it only took one princess cruise for us to say never again to Carnival, for all the reasons above and more.

WOW!!!

That's very interesting....

I'm thinking that Princess will be amazing...

Thanks

Carolyn

Save your pennies, wait for the price to bottom out and buy 100 shares.;) That is all you need to qualify.

We bought at $34, many on CC bought way lower and have gotten their initial investment back many times over.

Now that's an excellent thought!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Buffet is open from early in the AM (6ish?) until 11 or so at night.

International Cafe is open 24/7.

Main Dining Rooms - 3 meals plus afternoon tea. No MDR on port days for lunch.

Oh Afternoon Tea sounds wonderful... Makes me think of Dowton Abby: my favorite show...

Do they have a Mongolian Station???? Love me some stir-fry veggies and chicken...

2 more move over benefits...

1) cabins are ready when you board

2) lunch in one of the MDRs from noon till 1:30PM. (sometimes it has been reported here that the lunch wasn't available, but hasn't happened to us in 11 cruises.

I'm so excited that rooms are ready when you board. We're looking at a Premium Mini Suite. I'm hoping it will be a wonderful stateroom.

Thanks for more information...

Carolyn

My first six cruises were on Carnival. Then we tried Princess. After five cruises' date=' it's still possible to do another Carnival cruise under the right circumstances, but possible we'll stick with Princess.

Less nonessential PA's (I don't consider "last chance" bingo matches or art auctions essential at all). Mini-fridge in every cabin. Lack of overdone Vegasy Carnival decor. Lack (and hopefully continuing) of inane pool games.

Lots of live entertainment choices. The International Cafe (I love the chocolate chip cookies).[/quote']

Oh I totally agree......

I don't want to attend a bingo match or an art auction...

or even a last minute watch sale in the cruise store...

I can't stand the Vegasy décor.... It's way way way over the top for me...

I want a relaxing feel...

and the pool games... :eek::eek::eek: Oh they are awful...

I'm sorry I must sound like a snob... I'm not.....

but the drunk girl that threw up all over the deck on my mother/daughter cruise was WAY WAY to much for me and for her... and she was 18... A little inappropriate.

Is the international café the bakery area that "Geocruiser" showed me pictures of.... I can see my precious hubby there every minute of the day... He loves him some sweets...

Thanks for the information...

Carolyn

Thank you so much for the information, unfortunately we don't qualify for any of those. Dog gone it!!!

That is the one thing we have loved about Carnival is being able to sail out of Galveston, which RCCL and now we have found that Princess is also out of that area... Yes, the fog is crazy but it's ok... I've only been looking at sailing out of Florida, because of the Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I'll have to check to see if Princess sails to the Eastern Caribbean out of Houston...

Thanks again, for the info..

Carolyn

If you intend to cruise Princess much in the future I find the stock to be well worth having. I was getting .9% from a bank. After I bought the 100 shares of Carnival (CCL) I immediately got $250 OBC on our Hawaiian cruise. I get $25 per quarter in dividends and more OBC every time we cruise. We just took a 10 day in November and got $100. We took a 4 day early this month and got $50. We have a 17 day booked for September and will get $250. I love it!

No need to convince you of anything! Read these posts and responses within the Princess forum and you should be able to figure it out yourself!

You are so right!!!!!!

All of these post have been amazing... Lots and Lots of great things are said about Princess....

Thanks

If you intend to cruise Princess much in the future I find the stock to be well worth having. I was getting .9% from a bank. After I bought the 100 shares of Carnival (CCL) I immediately got $250 OBC on our Hawaiian cruise. I get $25 per quarter in dividends and more OBC every time we cruise. We just took a 10 day in November and got $100. We took a 4 day early this month and got $50. We have a 17 day booked for September and will get $250. I love it!

Wow!!!! That's AMAZING!!!! We're going to look into doing that!!!! Thanks

Oh Afternoon Tea sounds wonderful... Makes me think of Dowton Abby: my favorite show...

Carolyn

Carolyn, here's some pics to give you an idea of Afternoon Tea- I'll have Carson pour the tea for you in the library....

IMG_2520.JPG

Warm scones with clotted cream and jam

IMG_0210.JPG

Sandwich assortment

IMG_0212.JPG

Yummy cakes

IMG_0211.JPG

and there's more....

IMG_0213.JPG

Pics taken on Diamond 2012 and Ruby Princess 2013 aft balconies (a Suite Perk but Tea is served in an MDR and the Sanctuary each day 3.30 to 4.30) This is the portion for TWO people!

Norris

Why not try something new? The ships are very elegant.

We have sailed sailed a few lines, but our next three are with Princess.

I guess our eyes are just tired of Joe Farcus! :eek:

Princess is definitely nicer, in many ways, in our opinion.

They are classy but not stuffy.

I think you will enjoy your cruise if you choose to sail with them!

My DH and I are in our late 50's. We did a Disney cruise in 2008 because I wanted to go to Disneyworld and take a cruise..so..Disney cruise it was. That cruise got us hooked on cruising for our vacation. It was an enjoyable cruise but not exactly what we were looking for.

We were upset with the fact that the one time that Disney had a cruise to Hawaii and back we couldn't get the time off to go. Feeling sad about that I discovered Princess. I joined the Cruise Critic board and read as much as I could and looked at the pictures. I told my husband about a cruise to Hawaii from LA for 14 days on the Golden Princess. We were celebrating 35 years of marriage. I read that since he was retired military we would get OBC! Wow! How nice of them.

We booked the cruise and our flight with Princess directly. I was the TA :D. We were picked up at the airport @ 8 am, taken to a hotel to pass time and eat (of course the cruise food now begins) and then transported to the ship. The customer service, food, entertainment and the itinerary were wonderful! We were so relaxed and it was just what we needed. WE were sold on Princess.

So if you decide to do a Princess cruise, I think you will find it meets your needs and then some. Enjoy!:)

Carolyn, here's some pics to give you an idea of Afternoon Tea- I'll have Carson pour the tea for you in the library....

IMG_2520.JPG

Warm scones with clotted cream and jam

IMG_0210.JPG

Sandwich assortment

IMG_0212.JPG

Yummy cakes

IMG_0211.JPG

and there's more....

IMG_0213.JPG

Pics taken on Diamond 2012 and Ruby Princess 2013 aft balconies (a Suite Perk but Tea is served in an MDR and the Sanctuary each day 3.30 to 4.30) This is the portion for TWO people!

Norris

Oh Bimmer09... You have just made my day!!!!!!!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!!!

Oh that would be so awesome if Carson did come and pour my tea for me...

I just loved that!!!

Thank you!!!

I have enjoyed reading your trip report... Yours is the trip report that has me hooked on Princess already...

I think I've decided to cruise on Regal Princess - Premium Mini Suite with Balcony. Also my husband is a smoker

Thanks

Carolyn

[/size][/font]

Why not try something new? The ships are very elegant.

We have sailed sailed a few lines, but our next three are with Princess.

I guess our eyes are just tired of Joe Farcus! :eek:

Princess is definitely nicer, in many ways, in our opinion.

They are classy but not stuffy.

I think you will enjoy your cruise if you choose to sail with them!

I will say, I am very OCD, and change for me is very hard. I get into that routine and if there's not a problem with it then why should I change my tune...

BUT

I'm ready to try something new....

PLUS,

I really want to sail to the Eastern Caribbean... or Grand Turks. Grand Turks very bad...

I really love the elegant look of the ships and the pictures that I've seen on these threads.

But It doesn't remind me of something that's stuffy and snobby...

Again, Charlie and I are just good ole people that love to be pampered and enjoy a really good time with a glass of wine or a beer by the pool.

Thanks for the wonderful information!!!

Carolyn

My DH and I are in our late 50's. We did a Disney cruise in 2008 because I wanted to go to Disneyworld and take a cruise..so..Disney cruise it was. That cruise got us hooked on cruising for our vacation. It was an enjoyable cruise but not exactly what we were looking for.

We were upset with the fact that the one time that Disney had a cruise to Hawaii and back we couldn't get the time off to go. Feeling sad about that I discovered Princess. I joined the Cruise Critic board and read as much as I could and looked at the pictures. I told my husband about a cruise to Hawaii from LA for 14 days on the Golden Princess. We were celebrating 35 years of marriage. I read that since he was retired military we would get OBC! Wow! How nice of them.

We booked the cruise and our flight with Princess directly. I was the TA :D. We were picked up at the airport @ 8 am, taken to a hotel to pass time and eat (of course the cruise food now begins) and then transported to the ship. The customer service, food, entertainment and the itinerary were wonderful! We were so relaxed and it was just what we needed. WE were sold on Princess.

So if you decide to do a Princess cruise, I think you will find it meets your needs and then some. Enjoy!:)

Oh awesome!!!!

I think cruising on Princess is the perfect fit for my DH and I..

Thanks

Carolyn

Well, not being part of the Princess marketing department it's not my job to "convince" you to sail with them...LOL! :p Even having 100 CCL shares (to get OBC) wouldn't cloud my judgement. ;)

Based on what you've posted I think you'll enjoy a Princess cruise & the term "casual elegance" is used to describe Princess and I agree...certainly not Carnival Vegas glitz. They not only provide the best cruise experience within our budget & with all of the various combinable onboard credits it adds to our cruise experience. Like all cruiselines where competition keeps prices relatively affordable none of them are like they were decades ago.

This website has a lot of helpful info about a Princess cruise including some examples of menus:

http://beyondships.com/Princess.html

We've been on a couple of Carnival cruises but not in the last 10 years since discovering that Princess consistently provides us with our best cruise experience. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

Unlike most of the folks responding, I'm apparently pretty "loose", having been on a different line each cruise. Our cruise in a month (!!!) will be the first "repeat" for us, and it will be Princess. I've never done Carnival, since I know the "Spring Break party" atmosphere would be a bad fit for us, but here's my thoughts on the other lines:

Disney - it's Disney. Like you, we love Disney, and they do a fantastic job. If we didn't have to go at Spring break (when fares are insane) to match our kids vacation schedule, we'd go back in a second - although I'd think that the character-themed shows would get old). It's the line that got us hooked on cruising.

NCL - so, this might not be fair because it was the first cruise after Disney and on an older ship, but everyone's impression was "meh". It was a cruise, and there are no bad cruises (well, unless the engines die), but there wasn't anything great about it. Also, their pricing structure is very ala carte - which is nice, because you only pay for what you use, but for me, it made me think about money and whether everything was worth it - I'd rather pay more up front and be done with it.

RCCL - Royal is impressive. Their ships can have wonderful amenities and features. The shows were good. The ice show was amazing. The service was excellent and the food was good. For a tagline, I'd say "best for active families". Of course, you're also paying more.

Princess - Well, we're coming back. I'd agree with the others that there is a classier vibe. It's not luxury, but just a little more subdued elegance. The tea is a nice touch. Some of the shows were excellent, some were ok. The good was quite good.

I would say, though, that except for Disney, all of the lines were more similar than different with different strengths and weaknesses. I'd avoid NCL and Carnival since they weren't a great fit, but would gladly sail Princess or RCCL (and give HAL and Celebrity a try) if they had the best price/itinerary/ship.

That said, if there were identical routes, ships and prices, if it were just my wife and I, I'd choose Princess. If my teens were with us, I might choose RCCL.

Hey Gabrielle,

Thanks for the information....

Bimmer's Trip report is the one that has me looking at Princess... His pictures are amazing...

I think that Princess looks wonderful... and I'm really leaning on try it.

Have you sailed on RCCL?? I'm also looking at FOTS and Allure... But I'm afraid they are going to be tooo big or to many people or a little out dated...

When we sailed Carnival Magic the last time, we stayed in a Spa Balcony Rooms, and they stateroom was a beautiful calm green deco which I just absolutely loved... I'm not to crazy about the rest of the deco on the ship, buy - It was such a Spa feeling and that's one thing I'm looking for again.

That calm and surreal feeling!!!!

Which is what I've kind of seen when looking at the pictures either on line or on some of the trip reports... Especially Bimmer's report.

Thanks for the food report... Food is always a plus on a ship... Do they have a buffet like they do on Carnival? And a Main dinning Room at night?

Thanks for the information and help...

Carolyn

As you noticed from my other post yes we have done Royal...... We just never cruised the big ship's......

Princess doesn't have a Mongolian grill..... We have enjoyed that on Carnival.... We have enjoyed the buffet on Princess.... We generally do lunch in the Horizon court, the Ruby and her sister ship's have a Caribbean Cafe.... their choices are good and its by the Aft pool..... We like that since we can eat outside.....

Afternoon cookies!!! We love the WARM afternoon cookies!!!

We have been doing any time dining on Princess we love that option since we like to be more flexible when we eat. Sometimes having a set time and same wait staff is nice.... but its not necessary for us... We like the freedom of not having to rush after a day in port or if we want to do something that would make us late for the MD

Have fun planning!!!

Well, not being part of the Princess marketing department it's not my job to "convince" you to sail with them...LOL! :p Even having 100 CCL shares (to get OBC) wouldn't cloud my judgement. ;)

Based on what you've posted I think you'll enjoy a Princess cruise & the term "casual elegance" is used to describe Princess and I agree...certainly not Carnival Vegas glitz. They not only provide the best cruise experience within our budget & with all of the various combinable onboard credits it adds to our cruise experience. Like all cruiselines where competition keeps prices relatively affordable none of them are like they were decades ago.

This website has a lot of helpful info about a Princess cruise including some examples of menus:

http://beyondships.com/Princess.html

We've been on a couple of Carnival cruises but not in the last 10 years since discovering that Princess consistently provides us with our best cruise experience. :D

Oh I forgot all about that website... The pictures are fabulous!!! Thank you for reminding me of it. :)

I think Princess needs to put you on their payroll. :D

I love the thought of casual elegance... instead of Vegas Glitz's :eek: The pictures sure show how elegant the ship looks.

Thanks for your wonderful information!!!!

Carolyn

Unlike most of the folks responding, I'm apparently pretty "loose", having been on a different line each cruise. Our cruise in a month (!!!) will be the first "repeat" for us, and it will be Princess. I've never done Carnival, since I know the "Spring Break party" atmosphere would be a bad fit for us, but here's my thoughts on the other lines:

Disney - it's Disney. Like you, we love Disney, and they do a fantastic job. If we didn't have to go at Spring break (when fares are insane) to match our kids vacation schedule, we'd go back in a second - although I'd think that the character-themed shows would get old). It's the line that got us hooked on cruising.

NCL - so, this might not be fair because it was the first cruise after Disney and on an older ship, but everyone's impression was "meh". It was a cruise, and there are no bad cruises (well, unless the engines die), but there wasn't anything great about it. Also, their pricing structure is very ala carte - which is nice, because you only pay for what you use, but for me, it made me think about money and whether everything was worth it - I'd rather pay more up front and be done with it.

RCCL - Royal is impressive. Their ships can have wonderful amenities and features. The shows were good. The ice show was amazing. The service was excellent and the food was good. For a tagline, I'd say "best for active families". Of course, you're also paying more.

Princess - Well, we're coming back. I'd agree with the others that there is a classier vibe. It's not luxury, but just a little more subdued elegance. The tea is a nice touch. Some of the shows were excellent, some were ok. The good was quite good.

I would say, though, that except for Disney, all of the lines were more similar than different with different strengths and weaknesses. I'd avoid NCL and Carnival since they weren't a great fit, but would gladly sail Princess or RCCL (and give HAL and Celebrity a try) if they had the best price/itinerary/ship.

That said, if there were identical routes, ships and prices, if it were just my wife and I, I'd choose Princess. If my teens were with us, I might choose RCCL.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Thank you for the wonderful information....

When I started looking at cruise lines to sail on the one's that I thought we're or would be fabulous is of course Disney, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, just because they advertise wonderfully!!!!

Plus We just absolutely love everything Disney...

We have enjoyed Carnival but don't really want to be apart of the loud activities that are with them. We did love the Magic (1 of Carnival's newest ship) and we absolutely loved the Red Frog Bar on the ship)

I never took a look at Princess until the other day when I was at work bored out of my mind and I was looking for wonderful cruise reports with pictures... I looked at RCCL and then wondered over to Princess and found a wonderful trip report by Bimmer09...

From there, I started doing research and pricing on line and found how amazing it looked and how I felt like it would fit into our life style perfectly!!!!

So this is where I am now... Doing more research about both RCCL and Princess...

We do plan on sailing on Disney, soon... but we have a wedding this June and so our vacation time for this year is a little shorter then the next year. When we plan on sailing with Disney I also want to spend a week in Orlando too.

Thank you again, for your fabulous, fabulous information on each lines...

Enjoy your Cruise!!!

Carolyn

We did Carnival, once... it was very port intensive, which is what we wanted. The trade off was giving up some of the dining and on board experiences.

Having done a few cruises, I would say that Princess and Holland appeal to an older, middle aged crowd. Carnival has it perks, and trade offs. I would not rush to do a Carnival cruise again. Princess is on the top of our list of favorites, along with RCI and Holland.

Royal Caribbean... excellent cruises, nice ships, great crew.

Celebrity--one cruise, I was not impressed with the ship... but, I suspect my opinions may be biased due to a limited experience, and I would try them again.

You really have to try a few lines to see which feels best for your needs. And, all cruises are different.

Carnival is considered the Walmart of cruising. Now I do shop at Walmart. What they do, they do well. Likewise, I do cruise on Carnival. In fact I have an elite status on Carnival, Princess, and RCCL . And multiple cruises on NCL and Celebrity. (Yes, I love to cruise.) But, IMHO, Carnival is targeting the lowest common denominator as their customer. You have to ask yourself if, for your vacation, you want to shop at Walmart or Macy's or Neiman's. They all have their place. Some people can't tell the difference. Others are very picky.

Bennett of BennettandDebbie

The sanctuary is a wonderful place. It cost extra but you have your own very plush lounge chair. It is peaceful and relaxing. Light snacks and drinks.

An MP3 player to listen to music. Loved it on the Crown and Carribean.

Do not go on the Royal. It is the worst ship. Strange layout.

Food is fantastic on Princess. You can find a cozy spot most anywhere.

MUTS you see movies and concerts by the pool and under the stars with popcorn and cookies. They don't push heavy drinking like they do on Carnival.

That is a fun ship that pushes wild partying. Not on Princess.

Very elegant decor. Balcony dinner is wonderful. You feel like a king and queen.

No hairy leg or belly flop contest. No towels animals though.