WIFI May 3rd Independence

Good morning. I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. We are on the independence May 3rd and my husbands office always gets him the international plan for his phone. Do you think it would be cheaper to purchase the wifi on the ship? Not sure what the cost is as opposed to the international plan.

Thank you

Good morning. I have a question hopefully someone can help me with. We are on the independence May 3rd and my husbands office always gets him the international plan for his phone. Do you think it would be cheaper to purchase the wifi on the ship? Not sure what the cost is as opposed to the international plan.

Thank you

You would have to check with the cell carrier to determine if the international plan covers data at sea.

WiFi will cost around $190 per week for one device.

We are on Independence now. It is 120 for the 8 day cruise.

That's fantastic! I'm looking forward to seeing the lower pricing when we sail on her in a couple weeks.

I guess the new ElevenOS pricing is rolling out to more ships in the fleet, faster than I would have expected.

The 120 is before the C&A discount. We had to go down to guest services to have it applied. At first they tried to tell us it only applied to the one hour internet purchase. But it clearly said 29.95 discount on any package. So, make sue you stand your ground.

The 120 is before the C&A discount. We had to go down to guest services to have it applied. At first they tried to tell us it only applied to the one hour internet purchase. But it clearly said 29.95 discount on any package. So, make sue you stand your ground.

Thanks for the update. That's a very nice $70 drop in price from previous rates.:)

We are on Independence now. It is 120 for the 8 day cruise.

That is great to see the price drop.

Can you comment on the Internet speed - possibly run a speed test? I am hoping speeds are faster than on our recent Adventure of Seas cruise.

Are you able to do any voice / video calling back home via Internet?

I have no idea how to do a speed test - sorry. I just use it, I don't understand it. It is slow compared to home, but quicker than Radiance was last year. It does occasionally drop. I wouldn't try Skype, I think it would be too slow. But for email and other basics, it seems fine. I used it for Google maps, tripadvisor, obviously cruise critic and have had good luck. The first day they advertised $10 a day. I didn't realize it was a one time thing and waited until the next morning. Oops, my bad. So, it could be even cheaper.

I have no idea how to do a speed test - sorry. I just use it, I don't understand it. It is slow compared to home, but quicker than Radiance was last year. It does occasionally drop. I wouldn't try Skype, I think it would be too slow. But for email and other basics, it seems fine. I used it for Google maps, tripadvisor, obviously cruise critic and have had good luck. The first day they advertised $10 a day. I didn't realize it was a one time thing and waited until the next morning. Oops, my bad. So, it could be even cheaper.

Try http://www.speedtest.net.

Thanks for the info. That is better than what C & A just quoted me on the phone. They said with my Diamond discount it would be $151.96. Still not a bad price but I like the $120 better. I will have to check when we board.

No problem. Good to hear it was faster than Radiance. I assume it will be faster than what I experienced on Adventure in December.

I'd expect all the ships eventually will have the higher speed systems. Maybe they will expand it to the Freedom class by this summer (I can hope at least).