Decided to go ahead and prepay gratuity

Medtech2

With all the recent talk about rising prices for this, that and the other, I just decided to prepay our gratuties for our Feb 2016 cruise.

It is only rising by $14 for the 2 of us tomorrow but with this new CEO publicly stating he wants to squeeze an extra $54 from everyone they may decide to raise the DSC again in the 342 days before our cruise!

Quick question: Just in case something happens and we need to change or cancel do these prepaid gratuties follow us to another cruise or are they refunded?

Edited by Medtech2

We prepaid for the ten of us in a Haven for August 2016. I called the other day and just paid it. It will save us approx $200 and we give cash to the concierge and butler anyway so I thought I would pay too before tomorrow.

Called my ta today and had the service charge added to two of my reservations for 2016. There was no problem and I will pay the service charge with final payment.

With all the recent talk about rising prices for this, that and the other, I just decided to prepay our gratuties for our Feb 2016 cruise.

It is only rising by $14 for the 2 of us tomorrow but with this new CEO publicly stating he wants to squeeze an extra $54 from everyone they may decide to raise the DSC again in the 342 days before our cruise!

Quick question: Just in case something happens and we need to change or cancel do these prepaid gratuties follow us to another cruise or are they refunded?

These charges are NOT gratuities but rather service charges, big difference.

If I read my NCL email carefully, if I pre-pay I get the $12 rate and if I wait until onboard I pay $14.95. No mention of a time limit, so I am thinking I can add them sometime before final payment. I would just as well keep that cash for personal tips. Although I like the increase because I always feel I am making up for others... I'll give the butler and the concierge an extra $50 and the room attendant another $20.

These charges are NOT gratuities but rather service charges, big difference.

Are you sure? Absolutely, positively sure?

Because if you're right, NCL has made a HUGE mistake in the March promo. :eek:

Check out option 4 of Freestyle Choice Spectacular:

http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15-feb5

Someone should call and let them know, so they can fix the error!!! :D :p ;)

Are you sure? Absolutely, positively sure?

Because if you're right, NCL has made a HUGE mistake in the March promo. :eek:

Check out option 4 of Freestyle Choice Spectacular:

http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15-feb5

Someone should call and let them know, so they can fix the error!!! :D :p ;)

Exactly☺

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Exactly☺

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Well to me, both will always be one and same when I go on cruises. *shrug* I pay the DSC especially for the waiters and buffet staff because let's be honest; who can remember all the faces plus at any give time there could be seven waiters serving your dinner in one seating. Then I bring additional tips in cash for the room steward and room service; I know the room steward especially has to be sick and tired of making the bed after I've taken a nap. :)

Edited by maywell

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I understand that the new charge is 12.95 pp & 14.95 pp for suite guests. I read that the increase for the suite guests does not go towards the butler and concierge because they are not part of the tip pool, so how come suite guests pay more? I am a suite guest and eat at the MDR and I have the same service as everyone else. I go to the entertainment venues and see the same shows as everyone else. I would understand if the additional costs for the suite guests was for the butler and concierge but I will pay 14.95 pp/ per day and I will also give my butler and concierge their tips separately. Any thoughts?

Edited by splendoraway
spelling

Does anyone know the answer to this question? I understand that the new charge is 12.95 pp & 14.95 pp for suite guests. I read that the increase for the suite guests does not go towards the butler and concierge because they are not part of the tip pool, so how come suite guests pay more? I am a suite guest and eat at the MDR and I have the same service as everyone else. I go to the entertainment venues and see the same shows as everyone else. I would understand if the additional costs for the suite guests was for the butler and concierge but I will pay 14.95 pp/ per day and I will also give my butler and concierge they tips separately. Any thoughts?

In the weeks this topic has been discussed here, no one has really come up with a solid reason why suites pay more. The only thing that floated was that the suites are bigger and more difficult to clean (?!?), but that doesn't do it for me.