Gem 9 day to Eastern Caribbean -- dress up nights?

tjlpuppy

My first time on a NCL ship. New to freestyle cruising. Are there one or two optional dress up nights on the Gem 9 day to Eastern Caribbean? We are leaving NY Monday March 9. If so, on what day/days are they? My wife wants to know if she should pack one or two nice dresses and she will of course make me where my Tux. On other cruise lines it was always the second day out to sea and the second day before returning. Thanks for your help!

My first time on a NCL ship. New to freestyle cruising. Are there one or two optional dress up nights on the Gem 9 day to Eastern Caribbean? We are leaving NY Monday March 9. If so, on what day/days are they? My wife wants to know if she should pack one or two nice dresses and she will of course make me where my Tux. On other cruise lines it was always the second day out to sea and the second day before returning. Thanks for your help!

There are usually one or two optional dress up nights on any NCL cruise that is 7-days or more, and even though it is maybe 1/3 who chooses to dress up on those nights, and 2/3 who doesn't - what ever you choose you wouldn't be "alone". My DH and I rarely dress up much when we are not on a cruise, so we love the opportunity to do that on a couple of occasions when we are on a cruise. But that said, there are very few of your fellow cruisers who dress as formal as you might do on a different cruise line. I just bring with me 1-2 cocktail dresses, and for my DH a suit with a couple of different shirts/ties (his own choice, I don't "force" him). Only time I have seen more than one or two men wear a tux, is on New Years Eve - so I would leave that at home if I were you. Unless you really want to wear it of course - then it is entirely up to you....

Edited by TrumpyNor

Do whichever you want to do! As others have said the "Dress up or Not" nights are optional. I bring a dressy top but DH does not bring a suit. There will be a range of dress...you won't be alone dressed up but there will be many others with just the long pants and nice shirt.

DH loves NCL because you don't have to dress up and I like that his suit doesn't take up so much airplane weight allowance.

Wih or without formal optional nights, you really do not need your tux. You might see a couple of men in them, but believe me, men who want to dress up on NCL will be dressed in sports jackets at the most. A nice shirt, that is different, but I would bother with anything more dressy. As for your wife, a nice dress is always fun. You will see some gals prtty dressed up, especially if you are going to do the picture thing.

I can't answer the question as to what night may be a little more dressy; yes, there are a few.

As already stated, NCL does have "Dress Up or Not" nights. Also, it's a little dressier in some of the restaurants like Cagney's and Le Bistro, although you don't have to dress up. The DH ad I also did a dinner with the officers on our last crew, and everyone was dressed up. No extra charge for that one, and we really enjoyed it. Honestly, you'll fit in no matter what you wear, but we do like to pick out a couple nights to dress up and get nice pictures.

We'll be on that cruise as well! I plan on packing one nicer dress, plus a bunch of more casual maxi dresses.

My husband will not get any dressier than khakis and a button down shirt, so I'm glad to hear no tux is needed!

Personally, I like to dress up in the evenings. I've usually worn a swimsuit or athletic clothing during the day, and a dress is much lighter to pack and smaller than anything else I'd wear. Summer fabrics that wrinkles fall out of while hung in a steamy bathroom are super easy.