Rhomson to take over Royal Caribbean Splendour of the Seas

Don't want to wind anyone up (honest) but having seen the photos and videos of P&O's Britannia arriving in Southampton my thoughts were - "Now that's what you call a new ship for a company." I am sure that TUI could afford to invest in a new build - they can't be short of money...

(I'll stand back and prepare to be flamed as that often happens on other forums I visit, but please remember I come over here to chat as I think you are such a friendly bunch :))

Presto fear not! You won't get flamed on here! :D

You are so right - it is a really friendly supportive forum where we manage to discuss things in a respectful and civilised way. We don't always agree - we all have different experiences, different preferences and priorities but generally we can accept others' opinions without the need to be rude or indulge in nasty put-down which sadly is a feature of some other forums!

And as for taking offence about new ships (P&O's acquisition v Thomson) you will find we are often rather brutally honest and despite the fact that we have enormous affection for Thomson, we are sometimes their fiercest critics so are unlikely to take offence. Of course we would love a properly new ship although I would subscribe to the view that some aspects of a cruise are more important to me than a new ship.

However we are honest about the pluses and minuses and we live in hope that our constructive criticisms will bring about management decisions which will maintain the best of the Thomson product as well as making improvements (and encourage greater investment in new hardware).

And believe me, there are features of the Thomson product which lick some other cruise lines into a cocked hat - the ambience and passengers for a start. You get a flavour of that from the forum. No supercilious, pedantic or arrogant posts on here - at least not often! :eek:

Just seen film of the Britannia sailing up Southampton Water on our local news - she does look good!

Keep visiting - it's so good to be able to post and not wonder whether you are likely to be attacked. You are among friends here. ;)

(And you're allowed to use smilies!) :D

P. S. TUI do have money - they keep spending it on the German market!

Edited by kruzseeka

Hi, thanks for that. Replied once and can't find it. I do hope that Thomson start to listen. I have a number of friends who cruise with them and I think the itineraries are great. I for one would be tempted if it was a newer ship with a balcony option....that was a competitive price. I hope the RCI ship works out. Have been on the IOS for a mini cruise but as a couple we didn't like all the stuff on deck. Great for families though.

Don't want to wind anyone up (honest) but having seen the photos and videos of P&O's Britannia arriving in Southampton my thoughts were - "Now that's what you call a new ship for a company." I am sure that TUI could afford to invest in a new build - they can't be short of money...

(I'll stand back and prepare to be flamed as that often happens on other forums I visit, but please remember I come over here to chat as I think you are such a friendly bunch :))

I wouldn't worry too much Presto, you'll probably find we all agree with you.;)

However as Kruzseeka points out, for us it isn't the ships we cruise for. Everyone has their own priorities and mine are the itineraries. A new ship and great itineraries would be good but if I have to make a choice the itinerary would win every time.

I wouldn't worry too much Presto, you'll probably find we all agree with you.;)

However as Kruzseeka points out, for us it isn't the ships we cruise for. Everyone has their own priorities and mine are the itineraries. A new ship and great itineraries would be good but if I have to make a choice the itinerary would win every time.

When we were considering our first cruise we spent ages looking at Thomson and loved the itineraries. Then OV2 moved to the Eastern Med and did something similar so we had the best of both worlds. Great itinerary and a nice ship with a balcony. Like Thomson they did a stay and cruise. It was a fantastic 2 weeks. Am just hooked on balconies now and have been spoiled with the Celebrity Silhouette and Oceana.

It will be interesting to see what the itineraries for Thomson and P&O are like for 2016.

Thanks again for your friendly responses ;):)

On a slightly different note, they've just put these on the Dream:

11025136_685579614884452_3321806168309601922_n.jpg?oh=19f7745b7c165e2f5f98986ccfec54b0&oe=558E5CA9&__gda__=1434917059_da190220e4d40a395c1066e3571c9f36

This reminds me of when they put stylish new chairs on Destiny...........and then Louis took her back.:eek:

Looks very comfy though. are these the ones you have to pay for?

No, they're actually free!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

When this new area, "The Sun Lounge" opened half way through our TA cruise to the Caribbean (it should be noted it wasn't open in time for the 6 day voyage across the Atlantic!) it didn't look anything special, but was packed out every day.

I can't imagine it having had anyone in it at all if it had have been a charged for area, although these new sunbeds will be a welcome addition, and I'm pretty sure they're still free, but why wern't they added for when the area opened?

Typical Thomson!

There was workmen onboard, quite noticeably in the top deck of the Theatre which was closed for the first week of our itinerary, and also in rooms near the gym, which we initially thought would be rooms connected to the gym in some way, which actually turned out to be single cabins!

When this new area, "The Sun Lounge" opened half way through our TA cruise to the Caribbean (it should be noted it wasn't open in time for the 6 day voyage across the Atlantic!) it didn't look anything special, but was packed out every day.

I can't imagine it having had anyone in it at all if it had have been a charged for area, although these new sunbeds will be a welcome addition, and I'm pretty sure they're still free, but why wern't they added for when the area opened?

Typical Thomson!

There was workmen onboard, quite noticeably in the top deck of the Theatre which was closed for the first week of our itinerary, and also in rooms near the gym, which we initially thought would be rooms connected to the gym in some way, which actually turned out to be single cabins!

single cabins near the gym?