1st ever Alaska Cruise shore tour advice sought

packed already

Hi

Fellow Aussie's here. We did the 7 day cruise on Volendam in September last year and had a ball.

The problem with trying to do it all and make it worth just the one trip is that that is impossible. There is so much to see and do. We were disappointed we couldn't do some things but there just wasn't time for everything. Means we have to go back, oh well! :p:):p

Don't know if your sailing is offering it, but if there is a Tracy Arm Service Call 10.00-10.30 it means that the ship is stopping to let people get onto a small boat to go into Tracy Arm. It was expensive but SOOOOO worth it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Only problem was that we then were taken back to Juneau to meet up with the ship and we were late back which meant we didn't see much of Juneau.

In Skagway we did the Chilkoot Charters Tour (7.5hrs) with Dog Sled ride. It wasn't on the snow, was on dirt so was their summer tour but the whole tour was fantastic. Train up, bus back, fabulous guide.

Ketchikan we walked around the town for a few hours and then did the Deadliest Catch tour. We have never watched the show, was not that interested in it , however the guys who did the tour are so interesting to listen to. Nice way to finish off the day.

Glacier Bay - either be prepared to get up very very early and get a good spot in the Crows Nest (it is really busy up there and you can here the on board guide talking about where your going) or go to the aft on the top deck, grab a couple of chairs and a coffee table, and set yourself up near the railing. We did that and whilst we didn't hear any of the commentary, we had a fabulous day out in the warmth and had the best view of the scenery without being crowded in.

Happy to answer any of your questions!

Kirrarne

Edited by Hard-habit-to-break

Don't know if your sailing is offering it, but if there is a Tracy Arm Service Call 10.00-10.30 it means that the ship is stopping to let people get onto a small boat to go into Tracy Arm. It was expensive but SOOOOO worth it. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Only problem was that we then were taken back to Juneau to meet up with the ship and we were late back which meant we didn't see much of Juneau.
Just check the May 20th itinery... YES the Volendam DOES have that Tracy Arm excursion...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935

I agree the mid-Ocean transfer is a great way to check out Tracy and hopefully meet Sawyer.

• It's been mentioned often in these forums that early in the cruise season can mean ice build up preventing a Sawyer viewing.
  • the mid-Ocean transfer is 50 mile and hours of savings for those who wait to see Sawyer from a Juneau private tour. Booking from the Volendam is the way to go.
  • if you have other Juneau tours committed (Mendenhal? Whale Watching? Glacier Gardens?), going to see Tracy may mean time conflicts with these other tours.
  • this mid-ocean cruise tour is HIGH demand. Do book early. It was sold out before the boat left Vancouver.
  • For those who miss Sawyer.... Glacier Bay will provide better glacier viewings.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks again everyone, I think I need several computer screen and a clear head to compare everything, love the Japadog idea, or my husband will. Once again totally overwhelmed by your generosity of ideas. As Aussies it will probably be our only trip to Alaska and want to get it right. I looked at Groupon but the hop on bus voucher expires at the end of April, have thought about purchasing a discounted massage to iron out the kinks at the end of a long flight though
Are you sure you don't want to extend your Vancouver stay? It's bigger than the Alaska ports...

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]d7oBgDFgwl4[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.tourismvancouver.com/do/activities-attractions/attractions/10-vancouver-must-see-attractions/

fyi.... a lot Aussie's spend their days in nearby Whistler.

https://www.enjoywhistler.com/articles/whistralia-the-australian-colonisation-of-whistler/

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/australia-day-in-whistler-is-kind-of-insane-822

I'm cruising from 7th June in Vancouver from 4th.:)
Anyone cruising in Vancouver during June this year should have their hotels secured. Downtown rooms are high demand for the FIFA Women's in town.

I can see availability in hotels around the airport at this time. Its a good affordable alternative for those still looking for rooms.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks for your information so far, I wish I could hit the "like" button to your suggestions as I go, I have read so much that I am very confused and overwhelmed.

If you book a tour privately do they deduct your credit card now or when you actually take the tour? I got caught out in New Zealand when a helicopter ride was cancelled and it ended up costing me over $30 once they conversion rate went both ways and an international tranaction fee was charged. It was an expensive excursion that I didn't take.

Thanks

Yes it is a bit overwhelming planning it all. Luckily we have two cruises back to back or I dont think we would fit in everything we wanted to do!

With regards the card fees have you looked into the 28 Degree Mastercard for us Aussies? No international transaction fees on purchases (saving at least 3% compared to 'normal' credit cards) and it goes through at the 'proper' exchange rate. I have used it to pre book some excursions already! :)

Yes it is a bit overwhelming planning it all. Luckily we have two cruises back to back or I dont think we would fit in everything we wanted to do!

With regards the card fees have you looked into the 28 Degree Mastercard for us Aussies? No international transaction fees on purchases (saving at least 3% compared to 'normal' credit cards) and it goes through at the 'proper' exchange rate. I have used it to pre book some excursions already! :)

Yes, I have this card too and it is brilliant for overseas purchases.

Hi

Fellow Aussie's here. We did the 7 day cruise on Volendam in September last year and had a ball.

The problem with trying to do it all and make it worth just the one trip is that that is impossible. There is so much to see and do. We were disappointed we couldn't do some things but there just wasn't time for everything. Means we have to go back, oh well! :p:):p

Happy to answer any of your questions!

Kirrarne

Hi Fellow Aussies, thanks for your help, I will check out the Deadliest Catch Tour although sea sickness might be a problem. Hope you get back to Alaska one day, it is very expensive though.

As for the White Pass. only the Fraser/White pass is running. So the distance is already determined. You need to decide if you want a round trip train or a combo tour. With a combo tour, you have 2 distance choices, Fraser, or Emerald Lake. With the shorter tour, you will not get into the Yukon.

If you choose Emerald Lake, I can highly recommend Dyea Dave's tour. This would especially be loaded with a lot of snow scenes for you.

I have decided to do the Dyea Dave's tour, do you have a favourite combination that would get us into the Yukon, ie train up bus back or the other way around?

Thanks

Anyone cruising in Vancouver during June this year should have their hotels secured. Downtown rooms are high demand for the FIFA Women's in town.

I can see availability in hotels around the airport at this time. Its a good affordable alternative for those still looking for rooms.

I'm already booked in the Pan Pacific. Thanks for the heads up though could help others.

I have decided to do the Dyea Dave's tour, do you have a favourite combination that would get us into the Yukon, ie train up bus back or the other way around?

Thanks

Are both directions available for your tour? It really doesn't matter what direction, in my opinion, views are different and certainly both fantastic scenery.

Hi Fellow Aussies, thanks for your help, I will check out the Deadliest Catch Tour although sea sickness might be a problem. Hope you get back to Alaska one day, it is very expensive though.

You don't actually go out to see with this tour, you are in sheltered water everywhere. Even though it is a smaller boat, it is still quite big and you should have relatively calm water everywhere. Weather wasn't great when we went but it was calm the whole time.

We will go back one day, planning a 6-8 week trip next time!

You will not get sea sick on this tour. It is all in calm waters . The tour is wonderful, very informative and realistic without being in the North Sea. You have a very good chance of seeing some whales; we saw several when we did this tour last August. Enjoy!

eclue:rolleyes: