Mendenhall Canoe Trip - Cameras?

Alegeeter

For anyone who has done the Mendenhall Canoe trip in Juneau, what did you do for pictures? I have a GoPro and plan to take that but it isn't the most ideal way to capture pictures. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would like to document it appropriately.

Would you not recommend me taking my DSLR if I don't have a waterproof case for it? Perhaps I could take my old Coolpix in case anything happens to it.

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

For anyone who has done the Mendenhall Canoe trip in Juneau, what did you do for pictures? I have a GoPro and plan to take that but it isn't the most ideal way to capture pictures. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would like to document it appropriately.

Would you not recommend me taking my DSLR if I don't have a waterproof case for it? Perhaps I could take my old Coolpix in case anything happens to it.

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

The only way you would get a camera wet is if it is raining (and these trips do go out in the rain). Why not take both camera, hopefully they can go around your neck. Having good rain gear will also go a long way.

Is this the same excursion?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d4311274-Reviews-Best_of_Alaska_Mendenhall_Lake_Canoe_Adventure-Juneau_Alaska.html

WOW ... amazing photos shown.

Personally, I still see this as a small boat and wouldn't chance taking an expensive camera UNLESS I had some type of waterproof shield/case for it.

I did a quick search on amazon and there are a number of inexpensive waterproof covers/pouches for DSLR cameras. You might be able to find one that would work for your camera.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=waterproof+for+DSLR+camera

Thank you for all the input. Yes, that is the excursion I am talking about. I am very excited for it, and can only imagine how much more beautiful the landscape (icescape :) ) will be in person.

I think I will leave the camera on the ship if I don't get a waterproof case. I want to enjoy the whole excursion and not worry about the camera while I'm rowing. I think I'll manage with a gopro and an older/lower quality camera for the few hours.

Thank you for all the input. Yes, that is the excursion I am talking about. I am very excited for it, and can only imagine how much more beautiful the landscape (icescape :) ) will be in person.

I think I will leave the camera on the ship if I don't get a waterproof case. I want to enjoy the whole excursion and not worry about the camera while I'm rowing. I think I'll manage with a gopro and an older/lower quality camera for the few hours.

A superior option I have done, depending on your interests is renting a kayak. Very very easy and allows you far more freedom, for getting those beautiful photos. :)